Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sregreb

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
I have a IPhone 6 Plus purchased right at launch (September 2014). I just had apple run its online diagnostics on the battery and she said it came back at 94 percent (PASS). So no $29 dollar replacement. I have used the phone heavily, it’s dog slow and the battery life drops like a rock. This must be an error or she read the results incorrectly, right? I downloaded some Battery Life app and it said 62 percent and needed replacement. I have a Genius Bar appt to do another test but wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on this. Thanks!

Reactions: Foggydog and jpn

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Even running 100% capacity, your 6+ will be laggy and slow on iOS 11. It was underpowered from the start. Seems a lot of people think a new battery will suddenly turn their 6+ into a 7+ performance wise. I literally saw no difference in performance when going from a 5S to the 6 and that was when it first came out. The problem is 1gb of ram not slow cpu speed

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Even running 100% capacity, your 6+ will be laggy and slow on iOS 11. It was underpowered from the start. Seems a lot of people think a new battery will suddenly turn their 6+ into a 7+ performance wise. I literally saw no difference in performance when going from a 5S to the 6 and that was when it first came out. The problem is 1gb of ram not slow cpu speed

You are right. Apple nuked us big time!

Cheers

Last edited:

georgejr

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
I don't agree with this. I bought a used iPhone 6 in August and it was not slow for the first few months I had it. At some point after an IOS upgrade or two it slowed down considerably.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I don't agree with this. I bought a used iPhone 6 in August and it was not slow for the first few months I had it. At some point after an IOS upgrade or two it slowed down considerably.
You don’t have to agree with it. iPhone 6 was the worst phone I’ve ever owned. When I got my 6S the difference was night and day. 6S was the phone the 6 should of been.. Like I said, I kicked myself for upgrading to the 6 from my 5S. The 6 can’t handle the demands of iOS 11 like it or not. My iPad 3rd gen couldn’t handle 9.3.5 and it was a slow, stuttering, constantly refreshing mess

Reactions: bhayes444

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
You are right. Apple nuked us big time!

Cheers

iPhone 7 and even the newest iPad Pro have performance issues. Let’s hope iOS 12 is better.
[doublepost=1514685929][/doublepost]
You don’t have to agree with it. iPhone 6 was the worst phone I’ve ever owned. When I got my 6S the difference was night and day. 6S was the phone the 6 should of been.. Like I said, I kicked myself for upgrading to the 6 from my 5S. The 6 can’t handle the demands of iOS 11 like it or not. My iPad 3rd gen couldn’t handle 9.3.5 and it was a slow, stuttering, constantly refreshing mess

iPhone 6 is barely faster than the 5S, has a higher resolution, and only 1gb of RAM. I don’t know why people expected more of it.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I have a IPhone 6 Plus purchased right at launch (September 2014). I just had apple run its online diagnostics on the battery and she said it came back at 94 percent (PASS). So no $29 dollar replacement. I have used the phone heavily, it’s dog slow and the battery life drops like a rock. This must be an error or she read the results incorrectly, right? I downloaded some Battery Life app and it said 62 percent and needed replacement. I have a Genius Bar appt to do another test but wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on this. Thanks!

Well that is odd that you would still be only be at 94 percent? perhaps you have a very long lived battery?- maybe you don't use it much?
Suggest (as m4v3r1ck mentioned) you use coconut battery to find the cycle count? this would be good to know ?

Did you upgrade to iOS 11? - if not - suggest you hold off until you figure it out

It might help during your apple store visit to be well armed with as much data as needed?
iOS version ?
Battery cycle count ?
CPU - Single core - count - ? (Geekbench4)
CPU - Multi Core - count - ? (Geekbench4)
when the slowdown happened? date?
iOS Update - dates?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iPhone 6 is barely faster than the 5S, has a higher resolution, and only 1gb of RAM. I don’t know why people expected more of it.
The 6 wasn't that bad. However, the performance bump (particularly GPU) was pretty much just sufficient to match 5s performance given the resolution bump.

It's the 6 Plus that was laggier than the 5s at times. Awesome battery life, though.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The 6 wasn't that bad. However, the performance bump (particularly GPU) was pretty much just sufficient to match 5s performance given the resolution bump.

It's the 6 Plus that was laggier than the 5s at times. Awesome battery life, though.

Exactly. It was just enough to make up for a higher resolution. It’s a larger 5S in terms of what it can do. It was screwed from day 1 in terms of longevity. And with iOS 11 being so bad, there was no way it’d run well.

I doubt I’d want to be using a 5S on iOS 11 either.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

I have an iPhone 6 Plus 16 GB! I can confirm that its laggy, as for the battery I'm quite happy, but I'm still on iOS 10.3.3.

The Mophie JuicePack is an accessory I always buy for my iPhones, best buy ever.

Cheers

Reactions: nj1266

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
If it is unbearably slow I'd take it in for that purpose, but don't start speculating regarding the cause. If it is like the 10 seconds some people have been quoting to just answer a phone call then that would not be fit for purpose and I'd argue a defect. But again don't engage in finding the reason why or even suggesting it. I think you'll have a much better chance to get it replaced or sorted.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
If it is unbearably slow I'd take it in for that purpose, but don't start speculating regarding the cause. If it is like the 10 seconds some people have been quoting to just answer a phone call then that would not be fit for purpose and I'd argue a defect. But again don't engage in finding the reason why or even suggesting it. I think you'll have a much better chance to get it replaced or sorted.

I bought my iPhone in 2014, so I'll exchange the battery for the new Apple - 'Wiedergutmachung' - $29 price-tag anyway.

No offense intended!

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

The fact is that the 6 was one of the worst ipgone models ever as it had 1gb of ram way past it’s use by date and the performance improvements over the A7 were minimal.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
The fact is that the 6 was one of the worst ipgone models ever as it had 1gb of ram way past it’s use by date and the performance improvements over the A7 were minimal.
Nothing wrong with my 6 Plus. Still a very good phone.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Exactly. It was just enough to make up for a higher resolution. It’s a larger 5S in terms of what it can do. It was screwed from day 1 in terms of longevity. And with iOS 11 being so bad, there was no way it’d run well.

I doubt I’d want to be using a 5S on iOS 11 either.
I actually do have a 5s on iOS 11 (wanted to switch to shared iCloud storage but didn't want to update my primary devices until they find and fix all the bugs). It's surprisingly tolerable. I'm sure my mom and dad would've both been content with the 5s on iOS 11. They think the iPad 3 performance is quite fine and the 5s+iOS 11 is a heck of a darned sight faster than the iPad 3 on any firmware. Alas, their 5s's had mechanical issues so I gave them an SE and 7 respectively.

My mom accidentally updated her iPhone SE (A9) to iOS 11 and that one is working just as fast as it did on iOS 9 and 10. I think she's just at 8% battery wear, though.

And really, web browsing on an OG iPhone, I don't know how I managed to tolerate the checkerboards while waiting for even simple webpages to render. I guess ten years ago, just being able to view normal webpages on a phone was a novelty.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
You may be happy with it, but that doesn't change the fact that the 6 was a terrible phone in terms of performance.
???? Not to me it was. My daughter never complained either. It performed all its functions totally smooth to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.