Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
All of the battery apps on the AppStore are not accurate. Use coconut battery to accurately check its battery capacity. You will need a Mac to run it though. That’s the only way to get an accurate reading

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Even running 100% capacity, your 6+ will be laggy and slow on iOS 11. It was underpowered from the start. Seems a lot of people think a new battery will suddenly turn their 6+ into a 7+ performance wise. I literally saw no difference in performance when going from a 5S to the 6 and that was when it first came out. The problem is 1gb of ram not slow cpu speed

Quit spreading bs. Tripling cpu will have a major impact on speed despite the lack of ram.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Quit spreading bs. Tripling cpu will have a major impact on speed despite the lack of ram.
BS? iPhone 6 was the worst performing iPhone by a long shot. My 5S was equal if not quicker than the 6 in every way. If you think the 6 performs well at 100% cpu output you should compare it to a 6S. It’s a night and day difference. If your satisfied with the performance of the 6 then I suppose having it perform at its best would be the only way to be able to bear using it. Instead of being slow as hell it will just be slow.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
BS? iPhone 6 was the worst performing iPhone by a long shot. My 5S was equal if not quicker than the 6 in every way. If you think the 6 performs well at 100% cpu output you should compare it to a 6S. It’s a night and day difference. If your satisfied with the performance of the 6 then I suppose having it perform at its best would be the only way to be able to bear using it. Instead of being slow as hell it will just be slow.

If it’s the worst performing iPhone then what is it after throttling? iPhone 3GS equivalent?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
If it’s the worst performing iPhone then what is it after throttling? iPhone 3GS equivalent?
I don’t think it would be that crippled. I’d say 4S speed, that is if you could run a 4S on 11.2.1. Don’t get me wrong, if that’s the phone you want to keep then by all means get it back to 100% just so it doesn’t drive you crazy. $29 battery replacement at Apple is a no brainer.

Reactions: jpn and Kmart9419

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I have a IPhone 6 Plus purchased right at launch (September 2014). I just had apple run its online diagnostics on the battery and she said it came back at 94 percent (PASS). So no $29 dollar replacement. I have used the phone heavily, it’s dog slow and the battery life drops like a rock. This must be an error or she read the results incorrectly, right? I downloaded some Battery Life app and it said 62 percent and needed replacement. I have a Genius Bar appt to do another test but wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on this. Thanks!

The $29 Apple replacement is mainly for PR only. Keep trying and write a complaint to Tim Cook if you have to. Document everything then worse case get it replaced through authorized 3rd party. If it ends up performing faster after replacement then legally have Apple reimburse you.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
The 6 was fine. The 6 Plus could disappoint. No way at all the 6 "was a terrible phone in terms of performance."

The normal 6 was as well. 1Gb of ram was too little in 2014 and the GPU and GPU performance increases were minimal. The 6 was one of the first iPhones that I've seen lag and jitter on its original iOS release.
[doublepost=1514760321][/doublepost]
???? Not to me it was. My daughter never complained either. It performed all its functions totally smooth to me.

Again that doesn't change the fact it was underspecced from the start.

Reactions: jpn

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The normal 6 was as well. 1Gb of ram was too little in 2014 and the GPU and GPU performance increases were minimal. The 6 was one of the first iPhones that I've seen lag and jitter on its original iOS release.
[doublepost=1514760321][/doublepost]

Again that doesn't change the fact it was underspecced from the start.

I've owned three, still have one. Until iOS 11 the 6 was absolutely fine for any purpose other than perhaps hard core gaming (can't say, don't game). The one still here has gotten intermittently laggy since iOS 11, but it went three years performing just fine. And unlike some here I don't expect a three year old phone to still perform at the front of the class (not sure whether you're in that group or not).

And just to spice up the conversation, 751 cycles, 88.8% of design capacity, no throttling per GB4.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Have you used the iPhone 5s? iOS 7 introduced jitter and lag. One of the reasons I lamented the UI change from iOS 6. The stutters were even worse on the iPad Air given that had a simple A7 that was just higher clocked instead of having a beefed up GPU.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I've owned three, still have one. Until iOS 11 the 6 was absolutely fine for any purpose other than perhaps hard core gaming (can't say, don't game). The one still here has gotten intermittently laggy since iOS 11, but it went three years performing just fine. And unlike some here I don't expect a three year old phone to still perform at the front of the class (not sure whether you're in that group or not).

And just to spice up the conversation, 751 cycles, 88.8% of design capacity, no throttling per GB4.

My experience of numerous iPhone 6's was relativity poor UI peformance right from the start. Not constantly but fairly regularly.

Anyway my argument is not about how people found them to use, it's about Apple underspeccing them.
[doublepost=1514762494][/doublepost]
Have you used the iPhone 5s? iOS 7 introduced jitter and lag. One of the reasons I lamented the UI change from iOS 6. The stutters were even worse on the iPad Air given that had a simple A7 that was just higher clocked instead of having a beefed up GPU.

Admittedly I didn't. I do recall iOS 7 lag on the iPad Air 1 though so maybe the same does apply to the 5S. I did have an iPhone 5 with iOS 7 and found it very good.

Reactions: jpn

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I have a IPhone 6 Plus purchased right at launch (September 2014). I just had apple run its online diagnostics on the battery and she said it came back at 94 percent (PASS). So no $29 dollar replacement. I have used the phone heavily, it’s dog slow and the battery life drops like a rock. This must be an error or she read the results incorrectly, right? I downloaded some Battery Life app and it said 62 percent and needed replacement. I have a Genius Bar appt to do another test but wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on this. Thanks!

I'm really interested in what the result of your Genius Bar appointment will be. pls do post your experience.
there is just nothing in apple's public announcement that they will prevent anyone with a 6 or 6s from having their battery replaced if they pay the USD 29 - no matter if the local apple store thinks the battery is in good health or not.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast

That’s very high still. Mine is at 86% so I’m not worried about a battery replacement.
I also didn’t update iOS 11

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Even running 100% capacity, your 6+ will be laggy and slow on iOS 11. It was underpowered from the start. Seems a lot of people think a new battery will suddenly turn their 6+ into a 7+ performance wise. I literally saw no difference in performance when going from a 5S to the 6 and that was when it first came out. The problem is 1gb of ram not slow cpu speed
I have a 6+ on 9.0.2 and it's still slow compared to my 6S, 6S+ and especially, my 7+. My battery capacity is 94.82 with 269 cycles.

My 6S and 6S+ are amazing on 11.1.2. I still use the 6S+ today and got a new battery in it last month.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
My experience of numerous iPhone 6's was relativity poor UI peformance right from the start. Not constantly but fairly regularly.

Anyway my argument is not about how people found them to use, it's about Apple underspeccing them.

Circling back on this because although my experience at launch was good, we are working through frustrations with my wife's 6 recently and having tested a lot of theories, I am left basically thinking that the 1GB RAM that Apple installed may be the issue today. The battery is healthy enough, the benchmarks are very good, but the user experience has become mezzo-to-poor. Not sure what else to point to. I have not tried a DFU restore, but until Apple delivers on the promise to support iMessage backups in iOS, that's not an option for my wife.

The TLDR is that I didn't give Oldmacs enough credit here and I wanted to acknowledge his point.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Exactly. It was just enough to make up for a higher resolution. It’s a larger 5S in terms of what it can do. It was screwed from day 1 in terms of longevity. And with iOS 11 being so bad, there was no way it’d run well.

I doubt I’d want to be using a 5S on iOS 11 either.
iphone 6 lasted me 3 years.
longevity was fine. im hoping the X can last me 3 years as well.

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
so I have a Genius Bar appt this Saturday to try and get the $29 replacement battery for my 6S Plus. CoconutBattery shows this iPhone 6S around %90 and 680+ charge cycles. Does that mean Genius Bar will deny the $29 offer?

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015

I bought the iPhone 6+ on 2014, it was fast, it loaded apps really fast, the only problem was the 1GB of memory specially with safari because it could not keep with too many opened pages at the same time. Besides that, the phone was fast until 10.3.3, after that, the performance decrease considerably. I know that the phone was underpowered because of the screen resolution, even under those conditions it was fast. At least that's my experience with the iPhone 6+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.