Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ljusmc

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2012
I wish i had the same luck. I've gone round and round with Apple support to get an iPhone 6 with swollen battery fixed, and today they told me, they were sorry but the phone is out of warranty and can't be fixed. The battery is available for replacement but after testing at their service center (shipped from Best Buy to Apple and Apple returned unrepaired) they found other problems that would prevent them from just replacing the battery and unfortunately the phone is past warranty and can't be replaced. The Apple support guy (supervisor) even suggested that perhaps the battery might have caused the excess damage that Apple deems not covered.

BTW, the phone worked fine when i took it in for battery replacement other than having a swollen battery. I guess the only thing i can do is put an unauthorized battery in the phone myself and hope it never explodes.

Very disappointed with Apple service. It will certainly influence my purchasing decisions in the future.

Take it to an Apple Store if you haven't already. No matter the condition or warranty, they will replace the device for the battery price of $29. I didnt read the whole thread, are you in the states?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Take it to an Apple Store if you haven't already. No matter the condition or warranty, they will replace the device for the battery price of $29. I didnt read the whole thread, are you in the states?
I'm not so sure about them replacing the whole device for the price of the (discounted) battery replacement. Now if something happened to the device as a result of them replacing the battery and they couldn't fix it, then perhaps.

ljusmc

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2012
I'm not so sure about them replacing the whole device for the price of the (discounted) battery replacement. Now if something happened to the device as a result of them replacing the battery and they couldn't fix it, then perhaps.

If its an obvious swollen battery, it will be replaced. Unless the guy who I quoted is not talking about a swollen battery.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If its an obvious swollen battery, it will be replaced. Unless the guy who I quoted is not talking about a swollen battery.
Well, again, if there are other (generally unrelated) issues with the device then it might not be a simple replacement at the (discounted) battery replacement price. But hopefully they will offer some reasonable options.

sundaypi

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018

I just joined, after googling "iPhone 6s swollen battery" and finding this thread. I also just came home from the Apple store in my area, and they did in fact replace my entire phone for $29 after I'd brought in for poor battery issues. They opened it, said it was swollen and that they cannot even work on these phones, and gave me a brand new one. Thank goodness for iCloud backups.

ETA my prior iPhone had gone through 1072 battery cycles per their diagnostic tool, and I think I'd gotten it in late 2015.

Last edited:

sboye

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
I just joined, after googling "iPhone 6s swollen battery" and finding this thread. I also just came home from the Apple store in my area, and they did in fact replace my entire phone for $29 after I'd brought in for poor battery issues. They opened it, said it was swollen and that they cannot even work on these phones, and gave me a brand new one. Thank goodness for iCloud backups.

ETA my prior iPhone had gone through 1072 battery cycles per their diagnostic tool, and I think I'd gotten it in late 2015.

I haven't taken it to an Apple store. The nearest store is about 4 hours away in Oklahoma city. I got the phone through my work and had it for three years without issue other than the swelling in the last year or so. Hoping that Apple would release a cool new phone, i couldn't wait any longer and replaced it with an 8. A family member wants to use the phone for WiFi access, and it worked fine, so this is why i wanted to get the battery replacement for the swollen battery. I did call Apple and all they could tell me is the service center determined through diagnostics, that there was an issue with the motherboard, and that it precluded a battery replacement. The only thing i could deduce is that maybe the problem was in the charging circuit. I always use a factory charger, because i'm hesitant about the voltage etc, that aftermarkets put out. The only thing they could do would be for me to purchase a replacement, as it was out of warranty. And that looks upwards of 200+ dollars, which is more than i want to spend for this purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.