Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
The assembly of my new matte black iPhone 7 is not on par with the iPhone 6S (Space Gray):

The curved edges of the display blend smoothly with the aluminum casing of my iPhone 6S.

With iPhone 7, there are sharp edges where the display meets the body. These can be felt with fingers and when handling the phone. It's not a smooth, continuous transition from glass to metal like it is with the iPhone 6S.

It's also pointed out here, so my phone is not an isolated incident:

To me, this seems like a QC problem with the assembly.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Otherwise, my iPhone 7 is perfect. Faster than 6S, the display is better, and to my surprise, iPhone 7 feels lighter than 6S!

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Could it be because of the new antenna location? No problem with mine but I do notice the sides are more flush than the top and bottom. It is hardly noticeable on mine. Not a big deal.

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
This is has been a problem since the 6 started this design. Not every iPhone is made equal. I worked at an Apple reseller for many years and handled many new phones and for this rounded design that the 6 pioneered, not all units have a smooth transition from metal to glass. Some you can feel a 'kink' while some are flawless.

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
This is has been a problem since the 6 started this design. Not every iPhone is made equal. I worked at an Apple reseller for many years and handled many new phones and for this rounded design that the 6 pioneered, not all units have a smooth transition from metal to glass. Some you can feel a 'kink' while some are flawless.

For 889 euros, I expect flawless.

Didn't have this quality issue with either 6 or 6S.
[doublepost=1474216014][/doublepost]
This is an anal retentive thread. My iPhone 6s had a rough lightning port that was painful on the finger, and it seems better on my 7.

No, this is expecting build quality worthy of the premium price.

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore

They don't really have the time for flawless. Plus it's made in China, so...

And even ultra luxury cars like Rolls-Royce have their small little flaws. Like uneven stitching. Think of it as...handmade? And yours is truly unique and one of a kind. :D

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Same with the 6S and 6, I've seen the sharp edge on many of them. Just minor variances in production between the aluminum shell and display.

AmelieCofas

Suspended
Sep 17, 2016

sorry but its only 1000$ phone,is not a Vertu ! So if 1000$ is a premium and should be a flawless product,those who buy a Vertu what to expect? "more" premium and "more" flawless product?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Do all phone that the sharp bottom edge?

If so, then it was a manufacturing decision. If other phone are smooth in that area, then you have a phone with variances.

The former can't be corrected. The latter might be addressed (if you raise enough stink). And if they won't let you exchange the phone, then return it for a full refund and try again.

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
sorry but its only 1000$ phone,is not a Vertu ! So if 1000$ is a premium and should be a flawless product,those who buy a Vertu what to expect? "more" premium and "more" flawless product?

No, I just expect iPhone 7 to be as smooth as Ive said in his famous videos of the curved design, which was true of my 6S and 6.

I have another matte black 128GB on the way, I'm interested to see how it compares.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
This is an anal retentive thread. My iPhone 6s had a rough lightning port that was painful on the finger, and it seems better on my 7.
Sometimes you don't want to look to closely and find something you don't like but remember that this is a company that makes videos about how it's phones are manufactured and went out of it's way to use lasers to measure and match up the Apple metal insert to just the right case.

jmann

macrumors 604
Do all phone that the sharp bottom edge?

If so, then it was a manufacturing decision. If other phone are smooth in that area, then you have a phone with variances.

The former can't be corrected. The latter might be addressed (if you raise enough stink). And if they won't let you exchange the phone, then return it for a full refund and try again.

My plus has the "sharp bottom edge".

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
Sometimes you don't want to look to closely and find something you don't like but remember that this is a company that makes videos about how it's phones are manufactured and went out of it's way to use lasers to measure and match up the Apple metal insert to just the right case.

It's true, how they used to say their manufacturing are now measured in microns. If there's variances of the fit between the glass and the metal causing either a perfect curve or one with 'kink' and can be felt by your finger then it's definitely not down to microns.

While it is indeed disappointing that not every iPhone 6/6s/7 came out of the factory with perfect fit and finish, but I would say it is to be expected when it's not built by machines and instead hand assembled in China.
[doublepost=1474220757][/doublepost]
My plus has the "sharp bottom edge".

My 7 Plus is almost seamless, but just that TINY bit popping out. I've felt worse and also better ones.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

The 6 had other build issues you just neglect to recall them. My 6+ and my wife's 6 both have junk in between the crevice where the glass meets the body of the phone. The junk comes from the Apple phone cases. And lets not forget that the 6S improved on the 6's chassis.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I know exactly what you mean and was a little surprised to be honest. Not sure if it's a manufacturing defect or what. Will have to check some models in the store. I expect this sort of thing from Samsung, but not from Apple.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Agreed. My 6s Plus launch unit was so smooth where the screen met the body. My replacement 6s Plus I got this week (stupid dust ingress issue in top left corner of screen) is not anywhere near as smooth - sharp where the screen meets the body. Oh well.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
If you grab the phone little hard or twist it you hear some creaky noise. My 6s is rock solid

reluctantfanboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
In the UK I've had three 7s in black all with build quality issues. Two were from Carphone Warehouse and one from John Lewis.

All 3 had defects just where the metal case meets the front glass. Two had nicks in the metal through to the bare metal - small but noticeable without magnification. The third phone had nicks and scuffs on the rubber seal between case and glass, and the thickness of the seal was variable for about 2 cm.

These defects are small. But once seen they can't be unseen. Not good enough IMO for a £700 phone and a company that sells on quality.

mhoepfin

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
I assume the waterproofing is causing some of the unevenness. I'll take the tradeoff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.