Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I assume the waterproofing is causing some of the unevenness. I'll take the tradeoff.

It's only water resistant and regardless, making two parts fit flush with a rubber seal or glue between them is achieved perfectly elsewhere. My buddy has a Oneplus Three and the fit & finish is absolutely perfect....for £330 as opposed to £719 for the iPhone 7+.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
It's only water resistant and regardless, making two parts fit flush with a rubber seal or glue between them is achieved perfectly elsewhere. My buddy has a Oneplus Three and the fit & finish is absolutely perfect....for £330 as opposed to £719 for the iPhone 7+.

The One Plus 3 isn't water resistant. If the iPhone is too expensive for you, then buy a cheaper phone.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The One Plus 3 isn't water resistant. If the iPhone is too expensive for you, then buy a cheaper phone.

I have a 7+ thankyou very much and have had several iPhones over the years. The point is that perfect fit & finish can be achieved elsewhere for way less money, so why can't Apple achieve it consistently? The sealing has nothing to do with it. Many products are dust and water resistant yet show no outward signs of this. It is absolutely possible to connect two components together which have a rubber seal between them without any obvious gaps or ridges etc. It makes sense to me that the more expensive the product then the better the fit and finish. Premium products are all about perfection, that's their bag and that's why they're premium.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I have a 7+ thankyou very much and have had several iPhones over the years. The point is that perfect fit & finish can be achieved elsewhere for way less money, so why can't Apple achieve it consistently? The sealing has nothing to do with it. Many products are dust and water resistant yet show no outward signs of this. It is absolutely possible to connect two components together which have a rubber seal between them without any obvious gaps or ridges etc. It makes sense to me that the more expensive the product then the better the fit and finish. Premium products are all about perfection, that's their bag and that's why they're premium.

Then buy those other phones.

The truth is the seam of display isn't going to make/break sales. It's the sum of all the parts that makes a great phone, not any 1 piece. That's why you decided to cough up the dough and buy the 7+.

phyburn

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
So I've had iPhones now for about 9 years and have had no issues with the screen assembly until the 7 _plus_. The normal iPhone 7 screen assembly meets the display perfectly, it's smooth. Now with the iPhone 7 Plus on the other hand is a nightmare. It's super sharp at the bottom, there is no smooth transition from metal to glass. It appears the plastic band is higher than the screen glass and so that's what you feel. I took my 7 plus back to the apple store for an exchange (here in Holland) and the second one had the same issue. If you go to the floor models though, there is no problem, the screen is perfectly smooth at the bottom. So I wonder if it's a manufacturing defect? There aren't many iPhones here in Holland right now so I'm going to wait until tomorrow when there is another shipment (hopefully the shipment has iPhones...). If the _third_ iPhone Plus has the same problem then I give up and I will live with it.

But honestly, 1200 euros for a phone, it shouldn't feel like a knife at the bottom.

Here is a photo of the band I'm taking about: http://imgur.com/a/WCNDF . It's the white strip which is between the body and the glass display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.