Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Todor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Texas
Since iPhone 7 will lose camera bump and antenna lines with cleaner design, I assume that would be really awesome and catches fans' eyes again. I don't really mind antenna lines, which never really bothered me, but getting rid of the camera bump is great.

Look at some key features for iPhone 7s:

• New shell material
  • Potential waterproofing
  • Ultra-thin chassis between 6mm and 6.5mm
  • Upgraded "A10" SoC, "M10" motion coprocessor
  • 3D Touch
  • Dual Camera
Just wonder how Apple will implement the dual camera system while losing the bump...

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just wonder how Apple will implement the dual camera system while losing the bump...

I believe the company that Apple bought that had the dual lens technology (LinX) their camera modules are thinner than previously used. Then Apple also have patents for a way of producing thinner modules on their own. I'm pretty sure they have it covered.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Camera hump and antenna lines do not bother me. Just keep what has been working with the antenna and I would take a larger camera hump if the camera is really improved!

Yeah, form follows function. Make what works best elegant.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Since iPhone 7 will lose camera bump and antenna lines with cleaner design, I assume that would be really awesome and catches fans' eyes again. I don't really mind antenna lines, which never really bothered me, but getting rid of the camera bump is great.

• New shell material
  • 3D Touch
  • Dual Camera
Aside from 3D Touch I don't think we really know what the phone might have or look like at this point.

Reactions: ABC5S and Dino F

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Aside from 3D Touch I don't think we really know what the phone might have or look like at this point.

...agreed.

I actually hope it does NOT look like the mock up as the mock up is pretty much exactly like the current iPhone 6S design.

iPhone 7 needs to be a completely new design as is with all new iPhone jumps: iPhone 3G> iPhone 4 > iPhone 5> iPhone 6

Allin44

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2014
...agreed.

I actually hope it does NOT look like the mock up as the mock up is pretty much exactly like the current iPhone 6S design.

iPhone 7 needs to be a completely new design as is with all new iPhone jumps: iPhone 3G> iPhone 4 > iPhone 5> iPhone 6

4->5 is hardly a completely new design.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
...agreed.

Well of course the mock up looks pretty much exactly like the 6s. It's just a photoshopped 6s just to illustrate what the rumours of the antenna change and flush camera might look like. Also since the rumours being rounded edges again in the 7 it only makes sense to use a 6s as the model for mock up because no one has a clue what the actual 7 will look like. Using rounded edges again doesn't mean it'll be identical in looks to the current phone.

Allin44

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2014

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 283

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Now that the industry has caught up with Apples manufacturing excellence in materiality (everyone makes metal phones now) it would be great to see composite materials differentiate them and make it all feel a bit fresher. It's not necessarily abandoning the R&D that went into scaling up aluminium manufacturing across the board, the rest of their lineup still uses it and if they use the iPhone 4 concept where the metal is just exposed around the edge, it gives them the ability to explore new materiality elsewhere on the device.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
The average iPhone buyer won't even notice. At a glance, given the fact that a great majority use cases, it will be impossible to tell if it's a 6 6S or 7.

While it can be argued it's a mature product, it could also be argued that having the much praised Jony Ive on staff he's certainly capable of giving the body of the phone a little style. As it is now it's a flat and boring as it could be.

For the price it's a bloody joke.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Disagree.
6 would look similar as well like that, so would a 3GS--they all look fairly similar mainly looking at the front. The 5 was the first iPhone with a larger screen, the first one with no headphone jack at the top, had an aluminum body, was thinner, had a different two tone back, an additional microphone by the back camera, the first one to have a completely different and smaller Lightning charge port, a new microphone and speaker design at the bottom, front camera above the earpiece, etc. The overall shape might have remained similar, but certainly a good amount of design changes.

Last edited:

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

• New shell material
  • 3D Touch
  • Dual Camera

Just a rumored mock up OP. Not actually what it will look like, just a mock up and we will see many of these until the better rumored iPhone 7 closer to the launch in September. Still too early.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not bothered by the antenna lines, as my phone has a case on it. I very rarely see the back of the phone, but the camera bump will be a nice thing to see go by the boards.

Dual camera is an intriguing rumor as well.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Would like to see flat edges once again, like the 5S. The 6-series is just too slippery. Moreover it looks too bland without any form of contrasting edges. Not Jony's finest hour, if you ask me.

Now, I would never consider a Samsung phone again, but I actually held the new Galaxy A3/A5 a few days ago and I was pleasantly surprised! Samsung managed to combine the curved edges of the iPhone 6, with the flat design of the iPhone 5. The phone felt great in the hand. The curved edges providing the nice feel for swiping between pages (as we're used to with iPhone 6), while the flat surface helped with grip. Moreover it looked great!

I would really like to see Apple do something similar for the iPhone 7, hopefully with chamfered edges.

maxresdefault.jpg

97-samsung-galaxy-a3-2016-unboxing-27.jpg

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Well of course the mock up looks pretty much exactly like the 6s. It's just a photoshopped 6s just to illustrate what the rumours of the antenna change and flush camera might look like. Also since the rumours being rounded edges again in the 7 it only makes sense to use a 6s as the model for mock up because no one has a clue what the actual 7 will look like. Using rounded edges again doesn't mean it'll be identical in looks to the current phone.
I'm amazed at the amount of people who didn't understand this in the front page article.
[doublepost=1454704115][/doublepost]
Would like to see flat edges once again, like the 5S. The 6-series is just too slippery. Moreover it looks too bland without any form of contrasting edges. Not Jony's finest hour, if you ask me.

Now, I would never consider a Samsung phone again, but I actually held the new Galaxy A3/A5 a few days ago and I was pleasantly surprised! Samsung managed to combine the curved edges of the iPhone 6, with the flat design of the iPhone 5. The phone felt great in the hand. The curved edges providing the nice feel for swiping between pages (as we're used to with iPhone 6), while the flat surface helped with grip. Moreover it looked great!

I would really like to see Apple do something similar for the iPhone 7, hopefully with chamfered edges.
It's funny how people ask for chamfered edges back but forget that everyone complained they nicked so easily. Or asking for straight edges back when people complained it wasn't comfortable to hold in the hand. I'm not necessarily saying you're doing this, just using your comment as a springboard.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I'm amazed at the amount of people who didn't understand this in the front page article.
[doublepost=1454704115][/doublepost]
It's funny how people ask for chamfered edges back but forget that everyone complained they nicked so easily. Or asking for straight edges back when people complained it wasn't comfortable to hold in the hand. I'm not necessarily saying you're doing this, just using your comment as a springboard.

The Slate Gray iPhone 5 was problematic and scuffed rather easily. I think most of the issues were corrected on the 5S due to a better anodization process. I had a gold iPhone 5S and had no problems what so ever with scuffing, the same goes for my moms white iPhone 5. Both look(ed) pristine. The same goes for my iPad Mini I used to have as well as the iPad Air I have now. I don't see a problem with chamfered edges, but then I take care of my devices.

The iPhone 5S felt very good in the hand (IMO). However, I did find the 4/4S uncomfortable.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Now that the industry has caught up with Apples manufacturing excellence in materiality (everyone makes metal phones now) it would be great to see composite materials differentiate them and make it all feel a bit fresher. It's not necessarily abandoning the R&D that went into scaling up aluminium manufacturing across the board, the rest of their lineup still uses it and if they use the iPhone 4 concept where the metal is just exposed around the edge, it gives them the ability to explore new materiality elsewhere on the device.
Metal phones were around before Apple made theirs. Nokia had phones made of stainless steel and magnesium alloys.
The problem began when everyone started getting into this super thin craze.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Personally I feel as though the screen needs to go bigger again with the 7. I'm thinking 5.1". I know it's not gonna happen but it truly needs too... The antenna lines and camera bump has never been an issue with me ... However keeping the phone 4.7" for another two years could be a mistake for Apple... Most flagships nowadays are 5.0" and above... Idk it's just me but I think it needs to be bigger...

I'm saying this while some still want a 4" iPhone lol

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Personally I feel as though the screen needs to go bigger again with the 7. I'm thinking 5.1". I know it's not gonna happen but it truly needs too... The antenna lines and camera bump has never been an issue with me ... However keeping the phone 4.7" for another two years could be a mistake for Apple... Most flagships nowadays are 5.0" and above... Idk it's just me but I think it needs to be bigger...

I'm saying this while some still want a 4" iPhone lol
People want 4" iPhones cause Apple hasn't shown us they can minimize the bezel size. I'm sure they can make a 5" one fit in the form factor of the current 4.7" body if they really tried. LG does it quite successfully. Remember the G2 with its 5.2" screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.