Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I don't understand how Apple could lose the camera hump on the regular iPhone 7 without going dual-camera (since the dual-camera allows for thinness).

Also, the 4 to 5 transition was a major one, but the design elements from the 4 were undeniably in the 5 (from the shape of the volume buttons to the boxy-with-round-edges body). Nobody can deny that. They didn't change their design elements until the 6, so I don't expect the 7 to be radically different like the 4 was. It will still be round like the 6 whether people want to believe it or not. The iPhone 8, on the other hand, will be the next radically different iPhone.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
The camera hump and antenna lines are a non issue for anyone outside of Mac rumors. Most everyone uses a case. The bezels are the biggest problem with the current design. They really need to shrink them with the 7.

Reactions: ABC5S

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Now, I would never consider a Samsung phone again, but I actually held the new Galaxy A3/A5 a few days ago and I was pleasantly surprised! Samsung managed to combine the curved edges of the iPhone 6, with the flat design of the iPhone 5. The phone felt great in the hand. The curved edges providing the nice feel for swiping between pages (as we're used to with iPhone 6), while the flat surface helped with grip. Moreover it looked great!

I would really like to see Apple do something similar for the iPhone 7, hopefully with chamfered edges.

maxresdefault.jpg

97-samsung-galaxy-a3-2016-unboxing-27.jpg

That does look like it would feel nice in the hand. I can't get over how uncomfortable the 6S is without a case (or even with a thin case; which makes it grippier, but still too thin/rounded for comfort). These poor ergonomics are my one major complaint about the phone. I gaze with envy upon phones like the Nexus 5X, which looks designed to be held and used comfortably without a case.

Last edited:

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
People want 4" iPhones cause Apple hasn't shown us they can minimize the bezel size. I'm sure they can make a 5" one fit in the form factor of the current 4.7" body if they really tried. LG does it quite successfully. Remember the G2 with its 5.2" screen?

Exactly I agree. I believe that Apple refuses to let go of the physical home button and they want the phone to be symmetric. I assume it's the only reason why we still have huge bezels on our iPhones ...

That said the bezels on the Galaxy line of phone aren't that small either TBH. Smaller than Apple yes, but they're definitely not little like LG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.