Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
I don't know how your preorder went, but my order on the IPhone upgrade program is non existent. I am curious how many other people were flat out not able to order their phone. My experience was logging in the moment that the store app was working only to see no avaibility and no way to pre order a phone. Seriously, Apple did not let their most loyal customers even place a pre order. Did you have a similar experience? Please share your pain here, and let's come up with a plan to let apple know how we all feel about this treatment.

EDIT: This problem appeared to be with existing IUP members, I was able to get my girlfriends new phone on the IUP (just signing her up for it) 45 minutes after the store went live. Please leave your comments if you were new to the program or trying to upgrade when you were already on it. It will help compare what happen to all IUP members new and old.

Last edited:

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I used the Apple Store App on my iPad Mini 4 and had no problem ordering an iPhone 7 64GB in black on VZW. I'm new to the Upgrade Program.

I received the Apple order confirmation email at 3:08am EST and the Citizens One Loan approval email at 4:38am EST.

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
I should clarify and correct the OP. I ordered my girlfriends phone no problem, but she was new to the program. It's people on the program already that seem to have got the shaft. I'll edit.....

Reactions: onepoint

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
This is my experience for the Plus models. If I wanted the lesser iPhone 7 model I can actual still reserve a regular black model for Friday pickup. However I've been on the Plus size models since they were introduced and no way am I going back to a smaller device.

Not sure how much I can do, but when I have to make an extra payment for my current 6S plus I sure am going to call up and complain, hopefully score a free case or something equivalent to the at least extra $45 (double that probably to get back on track with the new payment plan to upgrade at launch next year) this upgrade plan is costing me when they advertise being able to easily upgrade to the new iPhone every year. Something that has proven to be bulls$%^.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
At :01 I used the app on the 6S+ I got from the IUP last year. Clicked models and it asked if I wanted to upgrade my current phone on IUP. Clicked on that and it verified eligiblity and I clicked on the reservations link. Picked state, then store, then model 7+ and none of the blacks were available right from the beginning. I debated for a while and at :51 I decided to get the silver 128 7+ available for a 9am reservation on launch day. Didn't get the preferred color I wanted but at least I got a phone. Received the email confirm 2 minutes after I was done. Not too bad this year but I'm dreading next year:(

jmann

macrumors 604
At :01 I used the app on the 6S+ I got from the IUP last year. Clicked models and it asked if I wanted to upgrade my current phone on IUP. Clicked on that and it verified eligiblity and I clicked on the reservations link. Picked state, then store, then model 7+ and none of the blacks were available right from the beginning. I debated for a while and at :51 I decided to get the silver 128 7+ available for a 9am reservation on launch day. Didn't get the preferred color I wanted but at least I got a phone. Received the email confirm 2 minutes after I was done. Not too bad this year but I'm dreading next year:(

Do you think they'll let us return the phone and get jet black at a local store if any become available within 14 days? I'm thinking of trying a couple of mornings

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
This is my experience for the Plus models. If I wanted the lesser iPhone 7 model I can actual still reserve a regular black model for Friday pickup. However I've been on the Plus size models since they were introduced and no way am I going back to a smaller device.

Not sure how much I can do, but when I have to make an extra payment for my current 6S plus I sure am going to call up and complain, hopefully score a free case or something equivalent to the at least extra $45 (double that probably to get back on track with the new payment plan to upgrade at launch next year) this upgrade plan is costing me when they advertise being able to easily upgrade to the new iPhone every year. Something that has proven to be bulls$%^.

I don't really want anything free as much as I want credit for the months I am going to miss because of having to wait a completely unknown amount of time.
[doublepost=1473432106][/doublepost]

One of the reasons I want to try to get us all to express our displeasure is if they do not get this fixed my next years launch it will be a NIGHTMARE. They need to allow us to send our old phone in and get the new one deliver like everyone else. Clearly, they cannot handle increased volume in store due to people upgrading on this program. I know I would never go into a store launch day till this program.

MannieSolo

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
Windy City
Used the iUP to upgrade this year for the first tie it was a breeze. I was even able to look at a few stores to do my pick up on launch day. The only issues was the lack of Jet Black, but i was able to do a reservation on the Black model 128 7+. It was great not to have to put my info in the app store app. Now just curious how the crowd is going to be

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
Do you think they'll let us return the phone and get jet black at a local store if any become available within 14 days? I'm thinking of trying a couple of mornings
My girlfriend did this last year, in fact...an Apple Store employee told her to do that. She had gold for 10 days and we would check the Apple Store everyday online and finally rose gold became available and she swapped out a 6s gold for a 6s rose gold.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami

Probably yes. Although at this rate it's doubtful that jet black will be available that quickly being it's a new color and all.

Markarian421

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
SFBay
My experience was logging in the moment that the store app was working only to see no avaibility and no way to pre order a phone.

Same here. I signed up for IUP last year. A few minutes after midnight when the store finally came up, there were already no 256GB phones for my carrier in any color at any of the local Apple Stores I might be able to get to on the single day we were allowed to make a reservation. That seems to be the problem, existing customers were limited to first day stock at local stores, and if that didn't exist, there was no way to pre-order. We were shut out. I have a hard time believing this is what they intended, someone really messed this up. If Apple doesn't quickly offer an apology and solution for IUP customers, they've probably effectively just killed off the program. If they say you can upgrade your phone every year and then make that impossible, who is going to sign up?

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
Same here. I signed up for IUP last year. A few minutes after midnight when the store finally came up, there were already no 256GB phones for my carrier in any color at any of the local Apple Stores I might be able to get to on the single day we were allowed to make a reservation. That seems to be the problem, existing customers were limited to first day stock at local stores, and if that didn't exist, there was no way to pre-order. We were shut out. I have a hard time believing this is what they intended, someone really messed this up. If Apple doesn't quickly offer an apology and solution for IUP customers, they've probably effectively just killed off the program. If they say you can upgrade your phone every year and then make that impossible, who is going to sign up?
Agrreed, another reason I would like to raise hell. I can accept one bad launch I guess....but it needs fixed and an admission that it is being fixed

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Same experience. Existing AUP member, but the ONLY color available the instant the store opened was rose gold. My 6s Plus is rose gold, and I love it, but this is a black bezel year for me and I lust for the Jet Black. So, I reserved a rose gold for pickup Friday, but also ordered a Jet Black full price. By the time I got around to that, delivery dates had shipped to November.

I'm hoping I can swap for a Jet Black on Friday, but I don't think the chances are good. If not, I'll just cancel the reserved phone and want for my Jet Black to come...someday. Hopefully they let me return that and rebuy on the AUP when it arrives.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Same experience. Existing AUP member, but the ONLY color available the instant the store opened was rose gold. My 6s Plus is rose gold, and I love it, but this is a black bezel year for me and I lust for the Jet Black. So, I reserved a rose gold for pickup Friday, but also ordered a Jet Black full price. By the time I got around to that, delivery dates had shipped to November.

I'm hoping I can swap for a Jet Black on Friday, but I don't think the chances are good. If not, I'll just cancel the reserved phone and want for my Jet Black to come...someday. Hopefully they let me return that and rebuy on the AUP when it arrives.

I saw the exact same thing. As soon as the Apple Store app finally came up for me, Rose Gold was the only color available in the 7 Plus models. Which is good for my girlfriend, but not so good for me.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
It can still happen though. If someone doesn't pick up their phone by the end of the day it goes back into the pool for the rest of us to try to reserve.

That's true just call them every day and you may get lucky.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Ordered a 128GB Jet Black iPhone 7 using my iPhone Upgrade Plan. The first store near me I tried didn't have any jet black, but one a few minutes further away did, so I just went with that.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Can you guys explain the "paying extra months" thing? So I enrolled in the IUP last night, and next year at launch if I don't reserve the phone I want at launch I end up somehow paying more for the phone?

jmann

macrumors 604
Ordered a 128GB Jet Black iPhone 7 using my iPhone Upgrade Plan. The first store near me I tried didn't have any jet black, but one a few minutes further away did, so I just went with that.

You got extremely lucky! What carrier did you choose?

Can you guys explain the "paying extra months" thing? So I enrolled in the IUP last night, and next year at launch if I don't reserve the phone I want at launch I end up somehow paying more for the phone?

The way it works is you can upgrade to a new phone after 12 payments, if you don't, you continue to make payments on the device. The loan is divided into 24 payments. So if you don't upgrade right away, you are kinda just throwing money away. After a certain point, it'd be wiser to just pay the remaining payments, sell the device and just do a new IUP.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
You got extremely lucky! What carrier did you choose?

The way it works is you can upgrade to a new phone after 12 payments, if you don't, you continue to make payments on the device. The loan is divided into 24 payments. So if you don't upgrade right away, you are kinda just throwing money away. After a certain point, it'd be wiser to just pay the remaining payments, sell the device and just do a new IUP.

I plan on using the money from the iPhone 6S I'm selling next week towards paying off a chunk of the IUP payments early. How does that affect things?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.