Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolsean20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
I am trying to figure out why my iPhone 7 Plus (128GB,AT&T) has been getting extremely hot and why the battery is draining really fast. I'm starting to think I have a defective iPhone. Is anyone else experiencing this? I updated to iOS 10.2.1 last night and it was hot enough to burn my hand.

UntitledImage

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Mine was doing the same thing. It got really bad over the last few days. I updated yesterday and haven't noticed it since, but I mean, that's less than 24 hours. It seemed to be connected to Facebook/video viewing (youtube, ect..), but yea much hotter than seems acceptable and at one point it went from ike 98% to 34% in about an hour and half. I even took my case off to let it cool down. I don't have time till Friday to go to Apple, but if you go before then, I would love to hear what they say.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Both of the ones I have had, both had this same problem...even the brand new replacement one.. i hardly use my phone much anymore and hardly lasts till 3-4 pm

UntitledImage

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Both of the ones I have had, both had this same problem...even the brand new replacement one.. i hardly use my phone much anymore and hardly lasts till 3-4 pm

Man... I wonder what the issue is then. When I got it back when it came out, it seemed like it lasted forever. When I look at my battery usage it lists Facebook and safari as the heaviest users, but I swear I'm not on Facebook or safari any more that I ever was before. I wonder if its a problem with the Facebook app partly?

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Man... I wonder what the issue is then. When I got it back when it came out, it seemed like it lasted forever. When I look at my battery usage it lists Facebook and safari as the heaviest users, but I swear I'm not on Facebook or safari any more that I ever was before. I wonder if its a problem with the Facebook app partly?
Thats exactly what mine says. I have had the past 3 iPhones when they came out and from the first day each and every single one has had problems that I just learned to deal with because I'm not making close to a 4 hour round trip just to get a phone replaced. Just hoping it doesn't catch fire or something. Thing will literally make me have to take it out of my pocket it overheats so much on my leg

coolsean20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014

Attachments

• IMG_2606.PNG
    IMG_2606.PNG
    635 KB · Views: 1,000

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Just had mine charged at 98% about 2-3 hours ago. The usage stats don't matter cause they ar roast 24 hours. Have been playing Xbox and not even using my phone the past hot or so.

It is now at 57%...

Attachments

• IMG_0098.PNG
    IMG_0098.PNG
    537.8 KB · Views: 649

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Happens to me occasionally but i blame some messy iOS process not shutting down properly tbh.

Sometimes it shows the same time for usage and standby too and other times the battery is perfect and lasts me all day

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Just had mine charged at 98% about 2-3 hours ago. The usage stats don't matter cause they ar roast 24 hours. Have been playing Xbox and not even using my phone the past hot or so.

It is now at 57%...
Since posting this I haven't used my phone and it's now at 35

jojost1

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2014
I got the same, Apple won't replace because tests say it's okay. Restored once in september 2016 but Apple wants me to restore again before 'maybe' replacing or something.. Very frustrating.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
I got the same, Apple won't replace because tests say it's okay. Restored once in september 2016 but Apple wants me to restore again before 'maybe' replacing or something.. Very frustrating.
Yep. Anytime I go through getting a phone fixed is a complete disaster.

My phone is going wild. Woke up 45 minutes ago and haven't used it. Said it was at 97% but it froze when I unlocked it so I did the power button and volume down button for the reset. Now my phones at 90%? Lol

coolsean20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
I don't know what's going on with my iPhone. Now the Haptics won't work even though the setting is on

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't know what's going on with my iPhone. Now the Haptics won't work even though the setting is on

Sounds like some kind of service or sync feature is stuck and not finishing. Try signing out of iCloud and the Appstore and signing back in.

coolsean20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
Man... I have to hard reboot almost every other week, I swear. Same with the Apple Watch. Apps get stuck or what not, never a permanent fix. I have an reservation for Sunday, I'll update with what they say.
Thanks for that!

UntitledImage

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Sorry, got busy over Monday! I want in Sunday evening and they ran a series of battery tests and said they can't find anything wrong. They of course suggested I reinstall IOS and all the apps. I also have been having a speaker rattle when I'm on the phone and they couldn't find anything wrong there either but offered to replace the receiver/screen assembly but nothing for the battery- but they can't replace the receiver for another week. Here I am at the end of the night and I have 17% left where it used to be like 40% with no changes to settings. So in all, I have no idea. Should have spent Sunday at the beach!

Reactions: npolly0212

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I had the same issue with my 7 plus. Got really hot at the top backside by the camera. Took it to apple and they found an issue with the front camera. They didn't know if that was the cause of the heat but they exchanged it anyway (instead of just replacing the front). No issues at all with my new and it never gets as hot as the one before. Not even close. So, take it to apple.

Reactions: npolly0212
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.