Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UntitledImage

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
I had the same issue with my 7 plus. Got really hot at the top backside by the camera. Took it to apple and they found an issue with the front camera. They didn't know if that was the cause of the heat but they exchanged it anyway (instead of just replacing the front). No issues at all with my new and it never gets as hot as the one before. Not even close. So, take it to apple.

Also, forgot to mention they since I couldn't reproduce the heat on command (no idea what caused it when it happened) they said they found no problem and thus only suggested reinstall for that as well. Seems to depend on the staff at the time. But they ran all the tests and nothing turned up despite poor battery, over heating and the speak rattle I've had since purchase.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Also, forgot to mention they since I couldn't reproduce the heat on command (no idea what caused it when it happened) they said they found no problem and thus only suggested reinstall for that as well. Seems to depend on the staff at the time. But they ran all the tests and nothing turned up despite poor battery, over heating and the speak rattle I've had since purchase.

Yeah they only found the camera issue and suggested that I turned off background refresh. I had previously restored as new for another reason and it didn't help.

I could reproduce the heat issue though but didn't have to. To make my phone hot I either just opened the camera app and switched to portrait mode. Keep trying to focus on stuff etc. Playing a video through a app named pocket. Downloading apps and using my phone at the same time. It also happened randomly doing nothing.

Doing all of the above today on my new 7plus with the same iCloud backup doesn't do anything heatwise.

kingvwardhana

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2017
Same thing happened with my iphone 7 plus 128 gb matte black. First day of use felt like a-year-used-phone! battery usage feels just like my previous iphone 5. I only do normal usage like social media apps (twitter, instagram) and watching some videos on youtube. I only doing light news reading in twitter and my phone started to heat in only 15 minutes. Something that i didn't expect from a $950 phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.