Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Is Apple offering sim-free purchasing on launch day these days, or is it still like it used to be: that option appears months later? Thanks.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Is Apple offering sim-free purchasing on launch day these days, or is it still like it used to be: that option appears months later? Thanks.

6S and plus sim free was about a month after release if I remember correctly.

Edit: just looked it up it was actually 2 weeks after initial release.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
6S and plus sim free was about a month after release if I remember correctly.

Edit: just looked it up it was actually 2 weeks after initial release.

That's what I remember. Really stupid practice, IMO. Why not offer it along w/ the others right away?

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
I thought buying it from Apple directly is always SIM free....? Well I always get a SIM free one on launch from Apple at least

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
Dumb question, but I wanted to get the sim free option, but if they don't have it, can i get the Verizon version and put my current Verizon in there?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It depends where you are, here in the UK the iPhone is available sim free from day 1, i pre-ordered my iPhone 6 Plus nearly 2 years ago, an that was sim free. I plan on doing the same again this year with the iPhone 7 Plus.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
so you can buy the t-mobile version, then put a sim card from another carrier and it will work right? good to know :)

When you buy from Apple at full price the T-Mobile version will be unlocked. When you buy from T-Mobile directly it won't be.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Unfortunately not in the US.
Every time I see this statement I think back to when I lived in New York in 2011 and the lines outside the Apple store on fifth avenue for launch week, consisted of mainly chinese individuals who were sending the phones back to China. They sure were not buying phones locked to a US carrier.

Reactions: a28098430

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
Every time I see this statement I think back to when I lived in New York in 2011 and the lines outside the Apple store on fifth avenue for launch week, consisted of mainly chinese individuals who were sending the phones back to China. They sure were not buying phones locked to a US carrier.

Any phone purchased full price at an Apple store is unlocked. If you try to purchase a carrier model online, you have to provide your carrier account info (except for T-Mobile). Not sure what the rules are in store; it could be employee discretion.

paulopadopa

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Should be sim free like normal. I've been buying them unlocked directly from Apple since the iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.