Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
I'm confused...if I buy the 7 unlocked version via the Apple upgrade plan, when I get it can I just put my Verizon sim in? Or do I have to specifically buy the Verizon version?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I just wish they'd either: Release the sim free model on day 1, or make all models have the same bands.

I will buy the T-Mobile version on day one because the sim free won't be available but last year they added extra bands to the sim free version, so it was slightly annoying.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I will buy the T-Mobile version on day one because the sim free won't be available but last year they added extra bands to the sim free version, so it was slightly annoying.

I have read this about the extra bands and that the tmobile version won't take advantage of the advanced network in China. So I will wait for the fully sim-free version.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have read this about the extra bands and that the tmobile version won't take advantage of the advanced network in China. So I will wait for the fully sim-free version.

It's true of previous devices but we will find out tomorrow about the iPhone 7 so don't make up your mind just yet.

chpthrll

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
Augusta,Ga
I'm confused...if I buy the 7 unlocked version via the Apple upgrade plan, when I get it can I just put my Verizon sim in? Or do I have to specifically buy the Verizon version?

Not sure its still true for iPhone7,but aren't all Verizon iPhones unlocked and same model as sim free????

Last edited:

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Confirmation: If you want a pan-world iPhone 7, you'll have to wait for the sim-free version. Last time they made this available about a month after launch. To me, that's the best iPhone (and for resale) because it will work with every network around the world. I don't know why Apple does this (probably an agreement with the big 4 in the U.S.), but it sells these dumb iPhones at launch that effectively determine which carriers the phone can be used with. Sucks.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Any phone purchased full price at an Apple store is unlocked. If you try to purchase a carrier model online, you have to provide your carrier account info (except for T-Mobile). Not sure what the rules are in store; it could be employee discretion.

Oh! So if I want to buy full-price I can't buy a Verizon phone without a Verizon account??

aplnub

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Confirmation: If you want a pan-world iPhone 7, you'll have to wait for the sim-free version. Last time they made this available about a month after launch. To me, that's the best iPhone (and for resale) because it will work with every network around the world. I don't know why Apple does this (probably an agreement with the big 4 in the U.S.), but it sells these dumb iPhones at launch that effectively determine which carriers the phone can be used with. Sucks.

I guess I'll be waiting for the sim free version. It really pisses me off they don't offer this option day one.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
So what is the answer to this. Will iPhone 7 unlocked version be available on launch day?
Won't know but right now there is no option to select "Sim-Free" for the 7 or 7 Plus on the page. However, the 6S and 6S Plus sim-free model was available 2 week after the initial launch.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Oh! So if I want to buy full-price I can't buy a Verizon phone without a Verizon account??
If you need the ability to switch to Verizon or Sprint in the future, your best bet is to get an in-store reservation for a Verizon or Sprint model at a retail store when the system goes back up on 9/17 and then ask to purchase the phone "device-only." Don't mention "unlocked" or "SIM-free" as that will likely just confuse the rep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.