Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
OMG! That first image they have there is horrible! There's some freaky ghosting going on in the wires of the bridge, with some double exposure problems making two sets of wires appear on the suspension wire at the top and many parts of the vertical wires have gone transparent where the background buildings have bled through as a result of the inbuilt HDR being applied, which can't be turned off! :eek:

This seems to be a common occurrence, as it also appears in the fourth image shown (look at the flag) using more of his images taken with the 8+ at https://www.cnet.com/pictures/how-iphone-8-plus-sees-san-francisco/4/

I wondered if ghosting may be an issue with them choosing to have the damn HDR feature turned on at all times and now I know it will be.

That's a HUGE letdown by Apple! :(
[doublepost=1505875465][/doublepost]The ghosting problem I mentioned can clearly be seen in these images, taken with the iPhone 8+, which has the very stupid decision of leaving HDR turned on at all times! This forces the phone to try and merge multiple exposure images, something which dedicated HDR programs like Aurora HDR or Photomatix have to offer a de-ghosting option for so that you can select areas where ghosting is evident and they then remove this in your final image output.

All of these images were taken by CNET's senior photographer, James Martin, as he put the iPhone 8+ camera through its paces over 72 hours.

If you look at the flags and the bridge, it's pretty damn obvious.

In this one, click on the image to enlarge it then look at the top of the US flag.
img-0984.jpg

In this one, click on the image to enlarge it, then look all around the flag, you can clearly see the ghosting from how the flag was differently positioned in the other exposure frame that has been merged.
file-000-vivid-warm.jpg

In this one, click on the image to enlarge it again and look at the top suspension wires on the left and also the vertical wires that have landscape behind them, which has actually bled through the wires here.
img-0052-2.jpg

I hope that for those of you holding out for the X, Apple actually offers an update that allows you to turn the HDR 'feature' off! I'd be mighty p!$$ed off if I forked out what you folks are going to fork out and my phones camera did this!

Reactions: g75d3

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
OMG! That first image they have there is horrible! There's some freaky ghosting going on in the wires of the bridge, with some double exposure problems making two sets of wires appear on the suspension wire at the top and many parts of the vertical wires have gone transparent where the background buildings have bled through as a result of the inbuilt HDR being applied, which can't be turned off! :eek:

This seems to be a common occurrence, as it also appears in the fourth image shown (look at the flag) using more of his images taken with the 8+ at https://www.cnet.com/pictures/how-iphone-8-plus-sees-san-francisco/4/

I wondered if ghosting may be an issue with them choosing to have the damn HDR feature turned on at all times and now I know it will be.

[doublepost=1505875465][/doublepost]The ghosting problem I mentioned can clearly be seen in these images, taken with the iPhone 8+, which has the very stupid decision of leaving HDR turned on at all times! This forces the phone to try and merge multiple exposure images, something which dedicated HDR programs like Aurora HDR or Photomatix have to offer a de-ghosting option for so that you can select areas where ghosting is evident and they then remove this in your final image output.

All of these images were taken by CNET's senior photographer, James Martin, as he put the iPhone 8+ camera through its paces over 72 hours.

In this one, click on the image to enlarge it then look at the top of the US flag.
img-0984.jpg

In this one, click on the image to enlarge it, then look all around the flag, you can clearly see the ghosting from how the flag was differently positioned in the other exposure frame that has been merged.
file-000-vivid-warm.jpg

In this one, click on the image to enlarge it again and look at the top suspension wires on the left and also the vertical wires that have landscape behind them, which has actually bled through the wires here.
img-0052-2.jpg

I hope that for those of you holding out for the X, Apple actually offers an update that allows you to turn the HDR 'feature' off! I'd be mighty p!$$ed off if I forked out what you folks are going to fork out and my phones camera did this!
You can just click HDR off on the camera app.

Reactions: AndyDiamond

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Yeah I'm pretty excited for a new camera coming from an iPhone 6 pretty much whatever the 8 does should be a very nice improvement. Really happy I'll be getting OIS finally.

Are you getting an 8 and not the X? Why? I am in the same boat of needing an upgrade... do you have plans to upgrade next year depending on some criteria?

AKS3003

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2017

img-0984.jpg

file-000-vivid-warm.jpg

img-0052-2.jpg

As far as I know, the iPhone does not take multiple shots when clicking a HDR photo. What it does is that it takes just one shot, over-exposes one copy of it, under-exposes another copy and then combines the three copies - the normal photo, the over-exposed one and the under-exposed one, to create the HDR shot. So, ghosting shouldn't be possible technically since its just one shot and not different shots.

Patrick P

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2016
curved.de a German site has a review with photos in original size!
They also made a comparison between 7 and 8 in full size.

Has anyone looked at the pictures in the 9to5mac review? The 8 has better light. But look at the cat, the details from the 8 are horrible but I don’t know if they simply took a bad focused picture. Same for the photos from the desk with the plant. If you look at the darker areas on the lower left the 7 even delivers more detail and less noise than the 8.

Reactions: g75d3

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
As far as I know, the iPhone does not take multiple shots when clicking a HDR photo. What it does is that it takes just one shot, over-exposes one copy of it, under-exposes another copy and then combines the three copies - the normal photo, the over-exposed one and the under-exposed one, to create the HDR shot. So, ghosting shouldn't be possible technically since its just one shot and not different shots.
Well it certainly looks like the ghosting from multiple exposures in these shots!

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Thats not how HDR works.

Over/under exposing after you've taken the picture won't gain you anything.

AKS3003

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
Thats not how HDR works.

Thats not how HDR works.

I know that's not how HDR is supposed to work. But I read about this method that apple adopts, in an article years ago (The year the Nexus 5 came out). I don't know if the article was inaccurate or apple has changed its approach to HDR photography.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I can’t wait to see the iPhone X camera tested, and also compared to the Note 8 as that’s a brilliant phone camera. I’m hoping for similar or better performance as it means a great camera in a smaller phone.
[doublepost=1505889978][/doublepost]
The main thing I'm hoping for (across all new models) is that Apple's awful noise reduction (read 'smearing') has been improved. It really ruins images.

Of course Apple has not provided original 1:1 photo samples from any of the new phones yet so it is impossible to tell the actual image quality from the reduced-sized promo shots featured on most websites.
As soon as a new phone is released the camera samples should be made available to view in their original resolution so we can see the improvements etc.
[doublepost=1505873320][/doublepost]

This guy has done a pre-release review for a few years now. Those are nice pics.

But still - NO 1:1 hi-res shots to actually check!
Please,
SOMEBODY!

I returned the iPhone 7 twice due to its smearing if my dogs white fur, it looked like a photo mixed with an artists paint brush smudging the picture!
I went back to the 6S which doesn’t do it as much. I’m hopeful too the new phones don’t suffer from this effect as much!

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
This discussion is related to the primary wide angle camera on the back of an iPhone. Not the telephoto lens. Not the front facing camera.

I understand that you want to limit the discussion to the primary wide angle camera found on all the current generations iPhones. However, my understanding is that both cameras are used to not only compliment each-other, but enhance the quality of the images. In the case of the iPhone 7 & 8 Plus, each of the 12MP lenses have their own sensors, meaning they can capture slightly different versions of the same image, which can then be stitched together to a create a photo that will have optimal contrast and color saturation.

Again this isn't new as i said this was employed on the iPhone 7 Plus. But in the case of the iPhone X BOTH cameras have OIS along with a slightly wider aperture on the telephoto.

The question is how much this will impact every day photography between the 3 models... I believe in low light conditions the X will really excel.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The CNET pictures looked rubbish. There were a few in the video review by the verge from the 8 plus and they looked good. According to that review the pictures are more saturated this year. They looked good even in comparison to shots from the Pixel XL, the note 8 and the LG v30.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
You can just click HDR off on the camera app.
Finally found it! It's only available to be turned off in the camera app itself, as you said and I didn't understand for some reason. :oops:
[doublepost=1505893894][/doublepost]

I know that's not how HDR is supposed to work. But I read about this method that apple adopts, in an article years ago (The year the Nexus 5 came out). I don't know if the article was inaccurate or apple has changed its approach to HDR photography.

In the system settings for the camera in iOS 11 there is a toggle switch labeled 'Keep Normal Photo' and below it, it says:
HDR blends the best parts of three separate exposures into a single photo. Save the normally exposed photo in addition to the HDR version.
So therefore, the iPhone does take three exposures and tries its best to reassemble them. So ghosting is gonna be a part of the lives of those that choose to use HDR on these phones, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I can’t wait to see the iPhone X camera tested, and also compared to the Note 8 as that’s a brilliant phone camera. I’m hoping for similar or better performance as it means a great camera in a smaller phone.
[doublepost=1505889978][/doublepost]

I returned the iPhone 7 twice due to its smearing if my dogs white fur, it looked like a photo mixed with an artists paint brush smudging the picture!
I went back to the 6S which doesn’t do it as much. I’m hopeful too the new phones don’t suffer from this effect as much!

So my 7+ takes similar photos, and it's not a defect. I've gone to the Apple store and taken comparative shots with several demo phones and the result was the same.

Hazy
Noisy
Bland
Lacking detail and depth
Flat

There is absolutely nothing impressive about the 7+ camera. It takes a lot of work to get the most out of it.

My Galaxy S8+ takes vastly better photos with less work. So much more forgiving, vibrate photos, detail and great color reproduction.

I'll have my iPhone 8+ on Friday and look forward to trying out the camera. Having my fingers crossed for a dramatic improvement from the 7+, which I really rank lower than my 4.7" 6S.

Reactions: apolloa

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I have done a lot of traveling with my iPhone as my primary camera. Obviously cameras on mobile phones have a lot of limitations but it's knowing how to work with those limitations that's important.

1200_01.jpg
1200_02.jpg
1200_03.jpg

Reactions: artfossil and psac

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I have done a lot of traveling with my iPhone as my primary camera. Obviously cameras on mobile phones have a lot of limitations but it's knowing how to work with those limitations that's important.

I'll be in Tokyo most of October, and as of right now my S8+ is likely to go with me. I'll decide after I see what Apple has tweaked with the 8+. Though, if I'm not impressed with 8+ camera it's going right back to AT&T.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I'll be in Tokyo most of October, and as of right now my S8+ is likely to go with me. I'll decide after I see what Apple has tweaked with the 8+. Though, if I'm not impressed with 8+ camera it's going right back to AT&T.

October is a great time to visit. I hope you find time to visit Kyoto but still plenty to keep you busy if you stay in Tokyo. I highly recomend the MariCar Mario Kart gokart tour of Tokyo.

Please feel free to DM me if you need any info on planning things.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I just want the option to shoot raw natively in iOS! I don't want any type of processing done to my photos. I just want the data available for post. Anybody think Apple will support this eventually? I've been using 3rd party camera app to shoot raw and have full leverage with my photos in post processing.

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Would be curious to hear more about this. I understand their ability to tweak saturation, sharpness, HDR, etc, because that's all software), but noise reduction aside from minor software changes, would normally be done from hardware changes.

I'm awaiting my iPhone 8 from delivery.

It is a hardware change. They added hardware noise reduction inside the ISP of the A11.

Reactions: Vanilla35

ANDJOE

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2010
Do we know yet what the new sensor size is? Or will we have to wait till the 22nd?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.