Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
did I miss something? The iPhone 8 is the exact same phone as the x minus the little bit bigger and OLED screen. That's it! For cheaper. Idk if I can justify the extra $200 now.

Reactions: ForumChick

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
exact same??? please overthink your words

Oled screen, stainless-steel frame, taller, wider, optical stabilised at wide and tele camera, Face-ID.
except of this its the exact same phone as the 8, 7, 6s and 6 :)

Reactions: jbuckner

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
I was gonna get the 8 plus but the outer telephoto lens is much better on the X
the f/2.4 lens of the X as compared to the f/2.8 lens of the 8+ is a half a stop of light difference, the X is moderately better than the 8+, but it really won't be a very discernible difference! It's huge for the marketing department though!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
the f/2.4 lens of the X as compared to the f/2.8 lens of the 8+ is a half a stop of light difference, the X is moderately better than the 8+, but it really won't be a very discernible difference! It's huge for the marketing department though!
The telephoto lens is also optically stabilised on the x. It isn't on the 8 plus. Also the X has portrait lighting in the front facing camera and animojis. Also the face ID. Those are the main differences besides the higher resolution oled display.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
The telephoto lens is also optically stabilised on the x.
That's true, I forgot about that. For me who only shoots some macro, landscapes and cityscapes with my phone, it's inconsequential. However, if you are into shooting images at concerts and in other lowlight scenarios where you need the telephoto lens, it's gonna be a deciding factor.

BrodieApple

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
That's true, I forgot about that. For me who only shoots some macro, landscapes and cityscapes with my phone, it's inconsequential. However, if you are into shooting images at concerts and in other lowlight scenarios where you need the telephoto lens, it's gonna be a deciding factor.
Yeah i was mostly talking about OIS soo

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
Ok so other than the screen like I already mentioned in my original post. And other than face id and very very minor camera improvements. How is the x worth $200 more than the 8 plus? Your paying extra for a screen that the competition has been using for years.
[doublepost=1505741447][/doublepost]
Ok so other than the screen like I already mentioned in my original post. And other than face id and very very minor camera improvements. How is the x worth $200 more than the 8 plus? Your paying extra for a screen that the competition has been using for years.

And don't give me the typical response "well the screen is apples technology so it's instantly better. (It's not) and don't give me "well it's made out of really nice materials" that's not worth $200.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
[doublepost=1505741447][/doublepost]

And don't give me the typical response "well the screen is apples technology so it's instantly better. (It's not) and don't give me "well it's made out of really nice materials" that's not worth $200.

It worth the extra £200 for those very reasons, the OLED screen, better camera, stainless steel band around the phone and so on, whether it's worth it to you is your own opinion but I think it's worth it.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
If you need a feature by feature breakdown explained to you, see the Apple website as someone mentioned.

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
If you need a feature by feature breakdown explained to you, see the Apple website as someone mentioned.

I've seen the features but I'm just wondering and want to have a conversation about why apple thinks these minor improvements over the 8 plus are $200 more. The OLED screen has been used by other companies for years and now Apple has finally adopted it.

Reactions: Peanut207

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
exact same??? please overthink your words

Oled screen, stainless-steel frame, taller, wider, optical stabilised at wide and tele camera, Face-ID.
except of this its the exact same phone as the 8, 7, 6s and 6 :)

In addition if I am not mistaken the iPhone 6S + can work on all carriers ATT and Verizon the new 8 or X ATT will not work on Verizon but if you buy the no sim model it mite work need to check that, for me if the X will not have that option I will keep my 6S+

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The X has a better screen to body ratio. That’s really the only thing that really sells the X for me, although not enough to bite. Face ID and OLED are interesting, but not worth the jump in price.

The cool factor of owning one is a major “feature” for a lot of people. I’m not knocking anyone, but that’s just the way it is.

baldgye3000

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2017
Thing that swung it for me;

iPhone X is all but the same size as a regular iPhone, but with all the benefits of the Plus (inc larger display). On top of that you get a proper OLED screen. For a few hundred extra seems like a pretty alright deal to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.