Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Apple wants you to compare it to the 8. You should be comparing it to other phones on the market to see if it's a good value. The screen on the X isn't even as high a resolution as the Samsung for a much higher price, and there's speculation it may be a pentile, we'll see.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Thing that swung it for me;

iPhone X is all but the same size as a regular iPhone, but with all the benefits of the Plus (inc larger display). On top of that you get a proper OLED screen. For a few hundred extra seems like a pretty alright deal to me.
what do you mean by a proper OLED screen?

narr

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
No animoji on iPhone 8 Plus? I will immediately cancel my order.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Animoji? Sorry. Im not a 15 YO girl.
I mentioned how this is directed towards teenage girls in another thread, and boy some of the folks came out of the woodwork to defend apple on how its nots a great feature :rolleyes:

Tbh, if this is the major selling feature of the phone and given the amount of stage time apple used to demonstrate it, I'd say they think it is, its rather said - just my opinion.

Reactions: woodekm and narr

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I mentioned how this is directed towards teenage girls in another thread, and boy some of the folks came out of the woodwork to defend apple on how its nots a great feature :rolleyes:

Tbh, if this is the major selling feature of the phone and given the amount of stage time apple used to demonstrate it, I'd say they think it is, its rather said - just my opinion.
The animoji's themselves aren't the major selling feature...however they do nicely and in an easily understandable way show off what the integrated technology is capable of in near real-time. From that angle I thought it was pretty impressive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
.however they do nicely and in an easily understandable way show off what the integrated technology is capable of in near real-time. From that angle I thought it was pretty impressive.
I could see that as an explanation, if it were for Apple's seemingly obsession with emojis. Just look at their prior keynotes and how much time they spent on showing off balloons for its messenger app and other emojis, who how last year they decorated their apple store locations with emojis.

I know its not a feature for me, but for young kids, but I'm not sure how many teens can afford a 1,000 phone (or their parents willing to spend 1,000).

spac3duck

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
I could see that as an explanation, if it were for Apple's seemingly obsession with emojis. Just look at their prior keynotes and how much time they spent on showing off balloons for its messenger app and other emojis, who how last year they decorated their apple store locations with emojis.

I know its not a feature for me, but for young kids, but I'm not sure how many teens can afford a 1,000 phone (or their parents willing to spend 1,000).

The tech related stuff is spoken about at WWDC whilst the keynotes are for the 'general public'. I'm sure there are many people who are interested in the tech behind the face tracking capabilities of the iPhone X but for the majority of people, they are not interested in the 'how' but rather what they can do with the new device.

Reactions: narr

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston

As a previous poster said, that chart is very useful. I noticed two things on it that I didn't see notice before:

X has 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio while 8 Plus has 1400:1 and 8 has 1300:1.

Also while the 8 Plus and 8 will support Dolby Vision and HDR content, only the X actually displays it on the screen.

This is important to users like me who watch a lot of video/movies on their phones since the blacks will be much deeper and the colors more vibrant and detailed. I was already set on getting an X before noticing these things due to screen size alone, but this just solidified my choice.

narr

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
The tech related stuff is spoken about at WWDC whilst the keynotes are for the 'general public'. I'm sure there are many people who are interested in the tech behind the face tracking capabilities of the iPhone X but for the majority of people, they are not interested in the 'how' but rather what they can do with the new device.

And what they can do with the device is the following awesomeness:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Can confirm.

Though I have heard that OLED's suffer saturation issues that don't seem to be present in the X?

There will be plenty of reviews comparing the ipX's display with other phones once it's released...I'm sure of it.

As for the animojis...it's something I can do without.

Shame it is only with the ipX though.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
The screen is one of the most important parts of the phone. Getting rid of the bezels, having a higher quality display, higher resolution, etc. is definitely worth $200.

spac3duck

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
The screen is one of the most important parts of the phone. ...

That's likely to be subjective.

...Getting rid of the bezels, having a higher quality display, higher resolution, etc. is definitely worth $200.

iPhone/iPhone Plus = Physical Bezels
iPhone X = OLED Bezels in Landscape, Notch in Portrait

However, the use of OLED in my opinion is certainly worth it. Shame they didn't bring that tech to the iPhone 8...

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008

Yea. Things that are canned on the device - like Animojis - sure detract from the device being "professional". Especially as a "major" selling feature. What does that say about Apple and their main audience? Let that type junk be added as an app.

spac3duck

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
Yea. Things that are canned on the device - like Animojis - sure detract from the device being "professional". Especially as a "major" selling feature. What does that say about Apple and their main audience? Let that type junk be added as an app.

Those "professionals" likely have children who would get a thrill out of the parent's face turned into an animation. Just because a feature is not likely to be used by yourself or your immediate circle of influence, doesn't mean it won't be used by others. And, the item is partially opt in anyway i.e. you actually need to select the animoji from the emoji keyboard in order to use it (My other assumption is that it will only work through iMessage which is also another opt in piece of social media, especially considering the many other competitors e.g. Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Skype, Viber etc)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I've seen the features but I'm just wondering and want to have a conversation about why apple thinks these minor improvements over the 8 plus are $200 more. The OLED screen has been used by other companies for years and now Apple has finally adopted it.

Marketing at its best. They know people want to show off..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.