Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buphphie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2023
I have N iPhone 8+ IOS 16.7.2 which I like. Tried to an Apple Watch 7 says I need to update my iPhone to 17 which can’t be done.
So anyone have any ideas what apple watch I can use with my iPhone 8Plus?
Or do I have to give up on using an Apple Watch.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
You need an Apple Watch that's running watchOS 9 as you can't pair a Watch running a newer watchOS with an older iOS. Probably easier to upgrade your iPhone.

Buphphie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2023
I’m 81 and like my phone, and don’t want to change it. It’s rarely used, mostly when our security cameras go off. My husband is worrying as I’ve had 2 bad falls this year which weren’t my fault and wants to be notified if it happens again.
Thank you for your help.

Just went a found this….
watchOS 9 is available as a free software update starting today for Apple Watch Series 4 or later paired with iPhone 8 or later and iPhone SE (2nd generation) or later, running iOS 16.Sep 12, 2022

To me this is strange/confusing

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyG

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I bought my first apple watch a few weeks ago. But I did research what my iPhone could pair with.
I have two phones, an iPhone 6s which I wanted to use with the watch. And an iPhone 7+.

I discovered that I could use a watch up to watchOS 8. So I purchased an Apple Watch 3, on the second hand market.
Newer watches can be updated to WatchOS 9. So I assumed I can't find any newer watches that hasn't been updated.

I love my old phones, so I can see why you wish to keep your iPhone 8+. I have considered the iPhone SE versions, because they have the fingerprint sensor, and not the faceID.

I do not know if it will be possible for Apple to reinstall your old WatchOS version, that works with your iPhone. But I would ask, unless someone here can give you an answer if it is possible or not?
Or trade it for one that hasn't been updated to WatchOS 10 yet

As kitKAC explained:

Buphphie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2023
Thank you all for your help. Seems like a long time ago I got away from Apple Watches because of the charging, seemed like I was always charging. So I went with versa 3, no longer have it, gave it to a friend whose husband had a stroke and needed it. But after the 2 bad falls my husband wants me to get the fall detection option….apple. Seems a shame that apples updates have eliminated it’s of options for our older phones. Still confused as to what I should buy. Thank you all so much, you’re wonderful

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
You are welcome. I do hope that you find a good solution.

Perhaps check if some shop still has an Apple watch with WatchOS 9?
WatchOS 10 was released September 18, 2023.
Not that long ago.

As you do not have a watch yet. It could be an option. But yes, they need to be charged more or less every day
Make sure you do not update the watch, if you wish to use it with your iPhone 8+

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I still use my 8+ sometimes, it's probably my favorite phone ever so I feel your frustration on this. Pretty stupid that they're forcing an update that breaks compatibility with a lot of perfectly good iphones.

Some Garmin watches have fall detection too and are compatible with basically any smartphone, so the good news is you're not fully stuck with an apple watch.

kimjongbill

macrumors member
May 13, 2016
I would think if you buy an in-box Series 8, there is no way it would have been updated to watchOS 9 while it was in the packaging. I'm sure they have them Amazon and other retailers, so that might be the way to go.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Pretty stupid that they're forcing an update that breaks compatibility with a lot of perfectly good iphones.

The Watch already had watchOS 10 on it, nothing was forced.

Make sure you do not update the watch, if you wish to use it with your iPhone 8+

The Watch app won't let you update it unless you're on a compatible version of iOS.

@kimjongbill's idea is a good one, look for an older Watch from Amazon or somewhere like that that won't have been updated to watchOS 10.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I would recommend upgrading the phone as its soon to become end of life anyway in terms of updates.
Also I find FaceID to work better than TouchID with my parents. Sure you can use a passcode but its safer to use Face or Touch ID.

If you need a bigger screen I would recommend trying to find a used iPhone 11 or 12 for a cheap penny.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I would recommend upgrading the phone as its soon to become end of life anyway in terms of updates.
Also I find FaceID to work better than TouchID with my parents. Sure you can use a passcode but its safer to use Face or Touch ID.

If you need a bigger screen I would recommend trying to find a used iPhone 11 or 12 for a cheap penny.
I rent a room from a couple who are 80 and 74 years old. They moved from Touch ID phones to Face ID phones and are struggling minute-by-minute to work with those !@#$ phones.

I still have my 2022 iPhone SE but the larger iPhones all require gestures to operate.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I rent a room from a couple who are 80 and 74 years old. They moved from Touch ID phones to Face ID phones and are struggling minute-by-minute to work with those !@#$ phones.

I still have my 2022 iPhone SE but the larger iPhones all require gestures to operate.
Interesting, I experienced quite the opposite. But maybe its more than just Face ID that is tricky to grasp and what type of user.

What my mother found was that "old" fingers didn't work well with Touch ID.

We tried to scan her fingers and use different but it failed more than it should so she ended up using her passcode.
Touch ID works a bit better with my dad on his iPad but more than often he's using the passcode.
Now, he has an iPhone XS and it works great with FaceID (for him). He's not really a techie and comes from Android so maybe hes used to using gestures a bit more.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012

I would not recommend a iPhone 11 at this time it may have one more year of updates at best and that phone will be done I would recommend getting the iPhone SE with the A15 chip or get the iPhone 12 or 13

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I would not recommend a iPhone 11 at this time it may have one more year of updates at best and that phone will be done I would recommend getting the iPhone SE with the A15 chip or get the iPhone 12 or 13
I can imagine that the TC wants a bigger screen as she has a 8+, thats why I recommended the 11 or above.
But if the TC can afford a 12 or 13, go for it.

Face ID is likely to be an improvement as well if you are senior, it just requires less from the user and "just works".

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
I doubt she will see our answers. As she said thanks for the help. Seems to me that she created this post, and account, to get help on this specific topic.
Not a regular visitor, naturally
Despite our OP having "moved on", some info for future readers...

Yesterday I updated my iPhone 8+ (model MQ8G2LL/A) to iOS 16.7.2 (build 20H115) and AppleWatch 9 (model MNP93LL/A) to WatchOS 9.6.3 (build 20U502).

Also, my hope is that Apple continues to offer iPhones with Touch ID buttons (ala iPhone 8+ and SE3), it's a preferred design and preferred functionality for many of us users. And they should continue to make top-of-the-line models (read: with 3 cameras) for these models, as well!

I'd buy a "Touch ID SE 4 Pro Max" over a 15 Pro Max any day of the week! LOL

:)

knirirr

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Oxford
I'd buy a "Touch ID SE 4 Pro Max" over a 15 Pro Max any day of the week! LOL

:)

Same here!
I ran into a similar problem of being unable to pair a WatchOS 10 watch with an iPhone 8 Plus and solved it by buying an NOS watch (series 5) on Ebay, which came with an earlier version of WatchOS on and could therefore be paired successfully.
Not having enjoyed my brief experience of WatchOS 10, this has worked out nicely.

lpmail

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2024
I created an account just to say thank you and to provide more information in case anyone lands on this thread in the future.

I have an iPhone 8 and had to return the Series 9 Apple watch, not realizing they were not compatible. Speaking to 3 different Apple support people about what model would be compatible (and also provides the ECG feature) did not help much, as none seemed knowledgeable about this topic. This thread got me on the right track.

I ended up discovering that the Series 8 watch is compatible with the iPhone 8. One thing I suspect, but am not able to confirm, is that it may depend how long the Series 8 has been "sitting on the shelf" so you should try to see the sticker on the back of the box. (I was going to upload a pic of the one I ended up buying that worked but this site doesn't allow iPhone pic format/HEIC--odd for a Apple-based website?).

In my case, the sticker on the box says it's compatible with iPhone 8 and iOS 16 or later AND it was new/never opened so I knew the OS had not been updated. I found it on eBay. I did not consider buying any series 8's that were for sale where that sticker was not shown in the pictures, as I suspect those that may have been more recently manufactured may be compatible only with iPhone Xs or later and iOS 17. There are some online resources that specify that is the case for the Series 8 watch. One of the Apple reps told me that as well. But there were other resources that aligned with what the sticker said on my box. So my theory is it might be both (iPhone 8 or later vs Xs or later), just depending on when the watch was produced.

I ordered the eBay watch and everything is working great. I thought I might be forced to do an update, but no, it's just what I hoped for. I hope this helps someone else. I appreciate that the people that responded to the OP applied more logic to the question vs. just defaulting to some canned Apple compatibility literature. The key was figuring out which watches were not on WatchOS10 and then kind of following the bread crumb trail from there.

Thanks again. I was pretty upset when I realized the series 9 wouldn't work and had all kinds of negative feelings about Apple and their business model but then found a happy solution in the end after stumbling on this post. :)

Reactions: Reverend Benny
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.