Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
What is the general consensus?

I read articles saying don't leave iPhone charging at night as it will xplode your house, but then read that they "smart charge" and cut off input at around 80%?

What is the thinking here?

I would like to adminster good charging practice.

Also while I am here amnd save a nw thread... I can't find a case which protects the lenses... I was in a phone shop and they had one but it was the cheapest nastyiest crap ever. When you slide it it properly scuffd the lenses!

I have seen videos of these 13 pro / 14 pro lenses getting scratched "at level 6" easily... What do you guys who value your glass do to protect them?

• Haha
Reactions: FreakinEurekan

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
With the free app coconutBattery you can check the actual numbers, including percentages, mAh, and much more, rather than iOS's crude approximations.
I personally charge up to 80 percent* and never go below 20 percent in order to increase the battery's life span. And I recommend that if longevity is important to you. If not, go with iOS optimisation.
The screenshot shows my battery's stats since June last year. As you can see the battery is still nominally better than its design capacity (this varies though between units), in spite of 140 load cycles.

dump.png

*With the help of this app.

Last edited:

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
From what I’ve seen online if you buy a cheap ass charger online that hasn’t gone under any proper safety checks then expect to do a Talking Heads.

Reactions: addamas

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Reactions: mpavilion

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
I've used iPhone X five years, 650 cycles and capacity is 81%. No optimized charging and mostly overnight charging to 100% with supplied 5W charger. I continued this same pattern with my iPhone 14 Pro, 5w overnight, optimized charging off and keep battery above 20% if possible.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Yes I guess there are also so MANY variables like how you use your phone.. If you have 100 apps opened at once, if you use it dead to the floor using video and photo or if you blast music all day and so much more.

What about the lenses??? Any ideas?? I have a standard case now with lenses exposd. I was thinking of asking a friend who 3D prints to print a little cover that fits over the raised bevel adges around the lense? And glue some soft velvet inside and somehow have this attch to the case.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
What about the lenses??? Any ideas?? I have a standard case now with lenses exposd. I was thinking of asking a friend who 3D prints to print a little cover that fits over the raised bevel adges around the lense? And glue some soft velvet inside and somehow have this attch to the case.
There are a lot of different and already existing solutions to that. Example.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Can't bear to put anything over the lens like a glass cover tho, I want to shoot with no glass obstruction, I can't find a case with a quality slide over cover? Can you link me to these existing solutions? That link you sent doesn't link to anything.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
This depends entirely on your opinion, honestly. People say (and science has proved) that charging at limited intervals (like 20 to 80%) is better for longevity. In my experience, it is highly variable, and nothing is guaranteed. An iPhone 8 that has been charged without any care at all (charged to 100% from as low as 0%, unplugged mid-cycle, literally no care at all) has 80% health after well over 1700 cycles. I charge to 100% always, from whatever percentage I feel like charging, no care at all. My Xʀ is at 93% health after 3.5 years.

Some people have charged it with limited cycles and have reported that battery health decreased anyway, so like I said, highly variable in practice. In my opinion, do whatever you want.

There is one number that matters: that is battery life and screen-on time. Honestly, if you plan to keep your device for years and update iOS, caring about battery health is pointless: iOS updates will obliterate battery life regardless of battery health. If you upgrade frequently, caring at all is pointless. If you are going to upgrade in a year, why care at all? If you are going to update iOS, why care at all? Any battery health gains will be rendered useless by iOS updates obliterating your battery life. If you are not going to update iOS, why care at all? My 6s has 63% health on iOS 10 and it has almost like-new battery life. I think battery health is meaningless as far as keeping like-new battery life goes.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Geeks gotta Geek though :)
Sure, I am not saying that I have the only correct opinion. Many people do that, preserve great battery health, and they like it that way… who am I to tell them that they’re wrong? I’m nobody. I personally do not see the point in doing that, however.

Reactions: mrk123

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Can't bear to put anything over the lens like a glass cover tho, I want to shoot with no glass obstruction, I can't find a case with a quality slide over cover? Can you link me to these existing solutions? That link you sent doesn't link to anything.
Something like this?

51F75B0C-2CA8-4ECC-BEFF-A8D54F707868.jpeg

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I got one similar in a phone shop and it was terrible, maybe it was a cheap knock off of the better quality ones, but the slider thing literally scraped over the lenses... Like WTF bro! Was so cheap!
Maybe these are the proper ones? The slide part was maybe 0.2mm from the lens glass.. not good!

Also terrible reviews on this product!

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I got one similar in a phone shop and it was terrible, maybe it was a cheap knock off of the better quality ones, but the slider thing literally scraped over the lenses... Like WTF bro! Was so cheap!
Maybe these are the proper ones?
IDK, read the reviews. Good luck.

PerfectChaos

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
I think the optimized charging feature has definitely prolonged battery health of these devices. I have a launch day iPhone 11 Pro and apparently I'm still at 99% health with over 700 cycles, but I also rarely fast charge. That being said, it probably only matters if you decide to keep your device for 4 or more years like I have.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I plug it in at night (screen stays on all night as a bedside clock), pull it off charger in the morning. I never give it a second thought.

Trying to run my life around charging rules for a device that will eventually be shunted down to a secondary device for me is not how I intend to live. Maybe it matters for those selling their devices, but not for me. I keep my devices. My 6s+ had it's original battery replaced after six years of use. But I don't use my phone like most people anyway. So again, I don't think about this.

I've done this with all my phones since 2009 when I got my first smartphone. Never had a problem. Does that mean I did not shortchange my battery? No, but I'm not examining this with a microscope focus either so I'd never know.

Apple charges less than $100 for a new battery. Most third party shops charge less. In six or more years if I need a new battery, replacing it won't be a big expense. And I've replaced batteries on phones I don't use as my primary device.

There are other things to be more concerned about.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There’s a lot of different strokes for different folks in this thread. I try not to abuse my battery. My definition of abuse is running a full brightness in the hot sun, leaving the phone on a dashboard, running the battery down to 0%. I don’t charge to 100% overnight nor do I believe that iOS updates contribute to less battery life. It’s just not my experience.

I’ve had my phone for 4 years and will probably upgrade to the iPhone 15. I’ve already replaced the battery. With every battery it’s battery lottery.

If I were to charge overnight I would use optimize charging with a 5w charger.

Reactions: mrk123

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Until we get to a point where it's economically sound to keep hardware more than 4 years, the battery won't be an issue.

I would love to not have to trade in phones, and it would be nice to just fix them. I keep my computers 10 years, generally. Those batteries matter, where applicable.

Personally, if you are going to keep your phone more than 3, then anticipate you'll want to change the battery once in its life. When you do, resale isn't high, and if it goes wrong you're not out much. Then forget about the rest; the software will probably work better than your human habits, etc.

Reactions: macsound1

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Until we get to a point where it's economically sound to keep hardware more than 4 years, the battery won't be an issue.

I would love to not have to trade in phones, and it would be nice to just fix them. I keep my computers 10 years, generally. Those batteries matter, where applicable.

Personally, if you are going to keep your phone more than 3, then anticipate you'll want to change the battery once in its life. When you do, resale isn't high, and if it goes wrong you're not out much. Then forget about the rest; the software will probably work better than your human habits, etc.
Four of the older phones I own now cost me less than $20 to buy - something I could not afford when they were originally for sale. So, yeah - not much value. But I tend to count on that working in my favor because I wait years to get the stuff I want at prices I can afford.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I've used iPhone X five years, 650 cycles and capacity is 81%. No optimized charging and mostly overnight charging to 100% with supplied 5W charger. I continued this same pattern with my iPhone 14 Pro, 5w overnight, optimized charging off and keep battery above 20% if possible.
Had my 13 Mini for 5 weeks now and the AI is still trying to figure out my charging behaviors (shift work).

I'm curious, any reason you prefer not using optimized charging? The 5W I'm currently also using from my OG SE, on the Mini. Actually just the other day I was contemplating buying the 20W to use with the Mini and Airpods. That charger is listed for both devices and I'm unsure if this will necessarily result in more heat production?

casjohnr

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
I've had my iPhone 14 Pro Max since October and charged it in all sorts of ways, full overnight wall charges to 100%, wireless charges, quick top up charges on the train and the battery health is still 100%

I'm certainly not losing any sleep over the prospect after several YEARS I may have to invest £100 or so in having a replacement battery fitted, although I'll probably have a new phone by then anyway

I passed my iPhone X with about 82% health down to my parents and they haven't complained about short battery life yet either!

Reactions: ignatius345

michaelscarn

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
Charge when I need to, replace the battery when I need to.

I have never had to replace a battery with this method. In the years it takes to notice a decline in battery life, it's time for a new phone anyway.

I truly do not understand all this hand-wringing over battery life and charging. It's literally just a phone, and an expensive one at that. If you can't afford a battery replacement every 3-5 years, perhaps you should look at less expensive brands with removable batteries. This is like buying a Ferrari and not being able to afford (or complaining about the cost of) routine maintenance. Just drive the car or use the phone and enjoy it, or be realistic and buy one you can afford! Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.