Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And when the device isn’t supported anymore? The iPhone 6s cannot get iOS 16. It may get security updates, but it doesn’t get all of them, like iOS 16 does.
It’s a moot point, once the performance and battery life are shattered the device is useless regardless of security.
No it isn’t it doesn’t get shattered. I’m still running some albeit limited stuff on my iPad 2.
“Look at my temporarily secure iPhone 6s, it’s so cool, I get 3 hours of screen-on time, have to charge it three times a day, the keyboard lags are downright pathetic, but hey, I am “secure” for a week, until the next patch that’s iOS 16-exclusive arrives.
As opposed to having security homes the size of a moon crater? Being secure for a week is better than being insecure forever.
And then the 6s isn’t secure anymore“. After that, battery life and performance do not go back to iOS 10 levels, and the device is insecure anyway. So, you have a device that’s both insecure, and pathetic in terms of performance and battery life.
There is going to be a point in time when one has to accept old hardware is old.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

No it isn’t it doesn’t get shattered. I’m still running some albeit limited stuff on my iPad 2.

As opposed to having security homes the size of a moon crater? Being secure for a week is better than being insecure forever.

There is going to be a point in time when one has to accept old hardware is old.
-A device is either secure or it is not. A half-hearted measure which compromises everything for nothing isn’t enough for me to even hit settings, let alone the software update tab.

-An iPad 2 on iOS 9 is horrifically slow, and it can’t run a lot of things. Battery life suffers a lot less on 32-bit devices, but they’re all horrifically slow. I have an iPhone 5c on iOS 10 (fully updated). As a person who knows what a device with good performance is (everything runs as close to the original version as possible. My partially updated devices are only partially updated because Apple pathetically forced me out and won’t let me go back. If they hadn’t, my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12 and my iPhone 6s on iOS 13 would still be running iOS 9), the iPhone 5c is absolute garbage in terms of performance. Yes, battery life is decent on 32-bit devices (like performance is half-decent on newer devices), but you massively compromise either one or the other. You cannot say your iPad 2 is decent performance-wise, because you and I both know it isn’t.

-Being secure for a week… whilst permanently obliterating the most important aspects of a device: performance and battery life. Not a good trade-off, in my opinion.

-I accept that the iPhone 6s is old. On my 6s on iOS 10, Safari struggles and I can’t run a couple of messaging apps because they do not support iOS 10, but for what I use it, it is perfect. Fast (no different to my Xʀ), with great battery life (for the device, it obviously won’t match newer iPhones), and I have to tolerate nothing: the phone works as I intend it to work. Absolutely no slowdowns, apps open and work extremely quickly, no crashes, no keyboard lag, ever, great battery life. Just perfection. A 6s user on iOS 15 cannot say that. They can’t even say they are secure, because they aren’t!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
-A device is either secure or it is not. A half-hearted measure which compromises everything for nothing isn’t enough for me to even hit settings, let alone the software update tab.
I don’t ascribe to the throw the baby out with the bath water school of thinking.
-An iPad 2 on iOS 9 is horrifically slow, and it can’t run a lot of things. Battery life suffers a lot less on 32-bit devices, but they’re all horrifically slow.
It’s functional and is unpatched for 7 years. Maybe less functional than a 6s on iOS 10.
I have an iPhone 5c on iOS 10 (fully updated). As a person who knows what a device with good performance is (everything runs as close to the original version as possible.
Except gaping security vulnerabilities as noted previously.
My partially updated devices are only partially updated because Apple pathetically forced me out and won’t let me go back. If they hadn’t, my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12 and my iPhone 6s on iOS 13 would still be running iOS 9), the iPhone 5c is absolute garbage in terms of performance. Yes, battery life is decent on 32-bit devices (like performance is half-decent on newer devices), but you massively compromise either one or the other. You cannot say your iPad 2 is decent performance-wise, because you and I both know it isn’t.
We may have different definitions of compromise.

-Being secure for a week… whilst permanently obliterating the most important aspects of a device: performance and battery life. Not a good trade-off, in my opinion.
Being not secure for a second could ruin your life.
-I accept that the iPhone 6s is old. On my 6s on iOS 10, Safari struggles and I can’t run a couple of messaging apps because they do not support iOS 10, but for what I use it, it is perfect. Fast (no different to my Xʀ), with great battery life (for the device, it obviously won’t match newer iPhones), and I have to tolerate nothing: the phone works as I intend it to work. Absolutely no slowdowns, apps open and work extremely quickly, no crashes, no keyboard lag, ever, great battery life. Just perfection. A 6s user on iOS 15 cannot say that. They can’t even say they are secure, because they aren’t!
iOS 15 is more secure than iOS 10. There is no such thing as absolute security. But you don’t want the burglars to walk in the door.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I don’t ascribe to the throw the baby out with the bath water school of thinking.

It’s functional and is unpatched for 7 years. Maybe less functional than a 6s on iOS 10.

Except gaping security vulnerabilities as noted previously.

We may have different definitions of compromise.

Being not secure for a second could ruin your life.

iOS 15 is more secure than iOS 10. There is no such thing as absolute security. But you don’t want the burglars to walk in the door.
-We have different definitions of compromise, and different performance expectations and requirements. If you call an iPad 2 on iOS 9 decently usable (functional implies usability, though correct me if I am mistaken), we have completely different expectations. It is so slow that it works best as a paperweight. I say that both about A5 devices on iOS 9, and about devices I have: the iPhone 5c on iOS 10 is unbearably slow, at least for me.

-How can I not throw the baby out with the bathwater? I can’t fight this. I can’t mitigate this. There is absolutely nothing I, as a user that has no control over Apple’s decisions, can do to both stay secure and guarantee expected (and honestly, required) usability. I wish I could. I wish I could convince Apple to guarantee perfect performance and battery life, or, in the absence of that, to give me the chance to downgrade. I can’t, so I have one defence mechanism. Stay behind, always. I wish it weren’t like this. I’d be the first person to update if it weren’t.

-So now I am giving everything away for partial security. The benefit was minimal, now it’s so minuscule it can be discarded.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
-We have different definitions of compromise, and different performance expectations and requirements.
That's a true statement. Every consumer knows what they want out of computing devices and their tolerance towards less security.
If you call an iPad 2 on iOS 9 decently usable (functional implies usability, though correct me if I am mistaken),
You said decently usable. Does that definition imply bringing up websites on a 6s where the 6s chokes?
we have completely different expectations. It is so slow that it works best as a paperweight. I say that both about A5 devices on iOS 9, and about devices I have: the iPhone 5c on iOS 10 is unbearably slow, at least for me.
The 32 bit devices seem to be more sensitive to additional work loads.
-How can I not throw the baby out with the bathwater? I can’t fight this. I can’t mitigate this.
Updating to an operating system 4 years newer is a mitigation even if it isn't the supported version. To wit, ios 12 has been getting security updates seemingly for the more egregious vulnerabilities.
There is absolutely nothing I, as a user that has no control over Apple’s decisions, can do to both stay secure and guarantee expected (and honestly, required) usability. I wish I could. I wish I could convince Apple to guarantee perfect performance and battery life, or, in the absence of that, to give me the chance to downgrade. I can’t, so I have one defence mechanism.
You give up perceived performance to real security issues. To me real security issues have priority. But to each their own.
Stay behind, always. I wish it weren’t like this. I’d be the first person to update if it weren’t.
Or just make the determination to get an upgrade to your phone. I think the line in the sand is 5 years. Make no mistake, my i14PM runs rings around my xs max, but the max is still a good phone on ios 16.
-So now I am giving everything away for partial security.
In other words, bad locks on your door are better than no locks.
The benefit was minimal, now it’s so minuscule it can be discarded.
I guess there are different definitions of subjective things.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
That's a true statement. Every consumer knows what they want out of computing devices and their tolerance towards less security.

You said decently usable. Does that definition imply bringing up websites on a 6s where the 6s chokes?

The 32 bit devices seem to be more sensitive to additional work loads.

Updating to an operating system 4 years newer is a mitigation even if it isn't the supported version. To wit, ios 12 has been getting security updates seemingly for the more egregious vulnerabilities.

You give up perceived performance to real security issues. To me real security issues have priority. But to each their own.

Or just make the determination to get an upgrade to your phone. I think the line in the sand is 5 years. Make no mistake, my i14PM runs rings around my xs max, but the max is still a good phone on ios 16.

In other words, bad locks on your door are better than no locks.

I guess there are different definitions of subjective things.
-It might imply that. Or it might not. Usability and tolerance is defined by what the user wants, needs, and tolerates from a device. Yes, it cannot access all websites. Yes, it cannot run all apps. But what it does run, it runs flawlessly. As the only main device (I have stated this repeatedly elsewhere), my 6s on iOS 10 is probably not that useful: the vast amount of apps it cannot run would be overwhelming for many. A 6s on iOS 15? Yeah, far more useful compatibility-wise. Thankfully, I can skirt around that requirement by using other devices. For what I use it, my thought process is simple: I’m not a heavy user. It is my second phone. Therefore, it gets all-day battery life for what I use it. The tasks I need it to perform, it performs them perfectly. Why would I needlessly sacrifice that? Would I like the app compatibility? Yes. Am I ready to lose 80% of the battery life and a lot of performance over them? Well, considering I can skirt around those requirements... no.

-Respectfully, you are mistaken here, it is the other way around: I give up tangible performance and battery life over perceived and theoretical security issues. I’d make the same choice over and over and over again. In fact, I do.

-32-bit devices lack the performance overhead of modern processors to combat Apple’s increased power requirements to run iOS.

-Agreed, you are completely right. I wish I could install standalone security updates for iOS 12 for my Xʀ. Apple does not allow that. iOS 12.3.1 it is, therefore.

-Even when I do upgrade, the older device is flawless: my main phone is an iPhone Xʀ, not the 6s, yet the 6s remains a pleasure to use... unlike one on iOS 15.

-Agreed that poor locks are better than no locks. Like I said, my hands are tied and I wish they weren’t.

-It is clear you value security over everything, and as long as you are aware of what you give up, I am nobody to say you are mistaken: you aren’t. I don’t think I am mistaken either: it is my only defence against Apple’s egregious iOS policy.

Reactions: Isamilis

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
-It might imply that. Or it might not. Usability and tolerance is defined by what the user wants, needs, and tolerates from a device. Yes, it cannot access all websites. Yes, it cannot run all apps. But what it does run, it runs flawlessly.
So running iMessage flawlessly means the usability is great?
As the only main device (I have stated this repeatedly elsewhere), my 6s on iOS 10 is probably not that useful: the vast amount of apps it cannot run would be overwhelming for many. A 6s on iOS 15? Yeah, far more useful compatibility-wise. Thankfully, I can skirt around that requirement by using other devices. For what I use it, my thought process is simple: I’m not a heavy user. It is my second phone. Therefore, it gets all-day battery life for what I use it. The tasks I need it to perform, it performs them perfectly. Why would I needlessly sacrifice that? Would I like the app compatibility? Yes. Am I ready to lose 80% of the battery life and a lot of performance over them? Well, considering I can skirt around those requirements... no.
Okay. You trade perceived battery life for efficiency and security.
-Respectfully, you are mistaken here, it is the other way around: I give up tangible performance and battery life over perceived and theoretical security issues. I’d make the same choice over and over and over again. In fact, I do.
Do you know how YOUR 6s would perform on a later iOS version? Not someone else’s’ 6s, but your 6s. You don’t, your making assumptions.
-32-bit devices lack the performance overhead of modern processors to combat Apple’s increased power requirements to run iOS.
They do.
-Agreed, you are completely right. I wish I could install standalone security updates for iOS 12 for my Xʀ. Apple does not allow that. iOS 12.3.1 it is, therefore.

-Even when I do upgrade, the older device is flawless: my main phone is an iPhone Xʀ, not the 6s, yet the 6s remains a pleasure to use... unlike one on iOS 15.
I traded my xr for an i14pm. If you don’t like the xr on the latest iOS version, we are galaxies apart on what is considered good battery life and great usability.
-Agreed that poor locks are better than no locks. Like I said, my hands are tied and I wish they weren’t.
You made a choice. Imo, a bad one, but it’s your choice.
-It is clear you value security over everything,
Battery life is easily mitigated. Poor security due to existing vulnerabilities isnt.
and as long as you are aware of what you give up, I am nobody to say you are mistaken:
You could also promulgate an opinion cigarette smoking as safe. That doesn’t mean your views are inline with the majority.
you aren’t. I don’t think I am mistaken either: it is my only defence against Apple’s egregious iOS policy.
The real defense is android. Depending on what is within your iphone you could be putting the well being of yours and others in danger by running an outdated operating system.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
So running iMessage flawlessly means the usability is great?

Okay. You trade perceived battery life for efficiency and security.

Do you know how YOUR 6s would perform on a later iOS version? Not someone else’s’ 6s, but your 6s. You don’t, your making assumptions.

They do.

I traded my xr for an i14pm. If you don’t like the xr on the latest iOS version, we are galaxies apart on what is considered good battery life and great usability.

You made a choice. Imo, a bad one, but it’s your choice.

Battery life is easily mitigated. Poor security due to existing vulnerabilities isnt.

You could also promulgate an opinion cigarette smoking as safe. That doesn’t mean your views are inline with the majority.

The real defense is android. Depending on what is within your iphone you could be putting the well being of yours and others in danger by running an outdated operating system.
-Funnily enough, the keyboard lags on later versions of iOS (as early as iOS 13, and there’s a very slight and intermittent keyboard lag on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12), so yes!

-Again, battery life issues aren’t perceived.

-I do! I have a 6s running iOS 13, too! Battery life is significantly worse, performance is definitely inferior, too.

-I wouldn’t know, my Xʀ runs (and will run) iOS 12. That said, people’s reports on battery life aren’t good. Performance is probably decent, though.

-Yes, I have to carry a portable battery pack, and I don’t want to, because I shouldn’t need to.

-No, because if I were to say cigarette smoking is safe I’d be completely wrong. Science has proven otherwise.

-I like iOS (on the device’s original version), that’s why I use it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
-Funnily enough, the keyboard lags on later versions of iOS (as early as iOS 13, and there’s a very slight and intermittent keyboard lag on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12), so yes!
This is anecdotal because I haven’t seen keyboard lag.
-Again, battery life issues aren’t perceived.
They are certainly subjective based in usage, unless you can point to some standardized tests.
-I do! I have a 6s running iOS 13, too! Battery life is significantly worse, performance is definitely inferior, too.
Both the 6s on iOS 10 and iOS 13 have the Same battery health? Do the same things as in a controlled test?
-I wouldn’t know, my Xʀ runs (and will run) iOS 12. That said, people’s reports on battery life aren’t good. Performance is probably decent, though.
As I said up until the i14pm was on the latest release. Wouldnt run a 4 year old operating system where multiple vulnerabilities have been patched over the years.
-Yes, I have to carry a portable battery pack, and I don’t want to, because I shouldn’t need to.
nonsense. Battery life that apple reports isn’t guaranteed. You don’t have to carry a power pack, but running out of juice is worse. I understand there are use case scenarios where an iPhone is barely used (like checking text messages once a day) that will lead to extraordinary battery life.
-No, because if I were to say cigarette smoking is safe I’d be completely wrong. Science has proven otherwise.
that’s the point. Objectively a 6 year old operating system is out of date. There is no subjectivity involved.
-I like iOS (on the device’s original version), that’s why I use it.
Sure and imo, there is no upside and all downside. Given you use multiple devices to get through the day, you play “musician chairs” with your iPhones. For me my time and digital safety is with something. Ymmv.

Reactions: adrianlondon

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Just to add to this thread: I have an iPhone 6S (16GB model) running the latest it can. It's a backup phone and/or a travelling one. It can't have many apps installed (16GB is pitiful nowadays) but it runs ok. Battery life isn't brilliant but it will get through a day of low-to-medium use.

I also have an iPad mini (1st gen) stuck on iOS 9. I hardly use it, but it's worth nothing to sell, so it's in a case nailed to my wall running a flip-clock app. It's painfully slow to do most things, and iOS 9 is very obviously not supported (so it has no personal data on it, although hackers would fall asleep before managing to extract anything).

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
This is anecdotal because I haven’t seen keyboard lag.

They are certainly subjective based in usage, unless you can point to some standardized tests.

Both the 6s on iOS 10 and iOS 13 have the Same battery health? Do the same things as in a controlled test?

As I said up until the i14pm was on the latest release. Wouldnt run a 4 year old operating system where multiple vulnerabilities have been patched over the years.

nonsense. Battery life that apple reports isn’t guaranteed. You don’t have to carry a power pack, but running out of juice is worse. I understand there are use case scenarios where an iPhone is barely used (like checking text messages once a day) that will lead to extraordinary battery life.

that’s the point. Objectively a 6 year old operating system is out of date. There is no subjectivity involved.

Sure and imo, there is no upside and all downside. Given you use multiple devices to get through the day, you play “musician chairs” with your iPhones. For me my time and digital safety is with something. Ymmv.
-On a Xs Max with an A12 Bionic? Probably not. On an A9 or A9X? The keyboard lag is definitely there. I’m not saying every device has keyboard lag, im saying A9 devices do. That said, the keyboard lag I get on iOS 12 can probably be dismissed as negligible on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro. The issue starts on iOS 13.

-The argument of “either you test it on perfect laboratory conditions or your numbers are useless” is utterly nonsensical. The world isn’t a laboratory and I won’t entertain that. Battery life is worse with the same usage and better battery health.

-The 6s on iOS 13 is in far better condition battery health-wise. It has worse battery life anyway. Battery health is largely irrelevant if the device is on its original iOS version. If fully updated, replacing the battery helps, but it falls far short of the battery life of the original iOS version. You can argue about app support, compatibility, usability. Denying that iOS updates worsen battery life, at this point in history, is nonsensical. And yes, I matched settings and general usage patterns. iOS 13 with 94% health struggles to get 4 hours of light use, my 6s on iOS 10 with 63% health comfortably hits 7, with the exact same usage. Like I said, updating has significant advantages which are totally valid, but denying its impact by now is nonsensical.

-We’ve been over the security issue, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

-I never said I could match Apple spec on the 6s. In fact, I have used (and will continue to use), an iPhone 6s for over 5 years. I haven’t matched Apple spec once. Not even when it was new. Battery life depends on usage, and the 6s was never good for heavy usage, even on iOS 9 or 10. I never denied that. I have a battery pack for when I need to, but I know what the 6s can give me and it’s enough for me. It is enough on iOS 10, it wouldn’t be if updated. At 63% health, iOS 15 would render it useless. Like I said, battery health is only relevant if the device is updated, and replacing the battery helps but it can’t match the battery life of the original iOS version.

-You are right, this is completely subjective and there is no wrong approach. I am the extreme minority in my approach to this, given that I must circumvent the disadvantages of using older iOS versions with more devices, but it works for me. Clearly my approach is rather unique because people keep updating, at the expense of performance and battery life. And if they need to, they aren’t wrong either. They buy compatibility with performance and battery life. A simple purchase.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
-On a Xs Max with an A12 Bionic? Probably not. On an A9 or A9X? The keyboard lag is definitely there. I’m not saying every device has keyboard lag, im saying A9 devices do. That said, the keyboard lag I get on iOS 12 can probably be dismissed as negligible on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro. The issue starts on iOS 13.
I can’t vouch or not for keyboard lag so I’m going to say it’s anecdotal. But there comes a time the useful life of consumer products is exceeded either because they work less than modern counterparts or there is more than a theoretical risk in using them.
-The argument of “either you test it on perfect laboratory conditions or your numbers are useless” is utterly nonsensical. The world isn’t a laboratory and I won’t entertain that. Battery life is worse with the same usage and better battery health.
No, it’s not. You’re promulgating a Rube Goldberg approach to using your phones to get the “best” battery life. Hard facts woul go a long way to back up your assertions.
-The 6s on iOS 13 is in far better condition battery health-wise. It has worse battery life anyway. Battery health is largely irrelevant if the device is on its original iOS version.
Battery life should be irrelevant to an extent in 2023. I mean nobody 10 minutes of SOT as the benchmark, but if one expects 10 hours then one better make sure the conditions are 100% ideal.
If fully updated, replacing the battery helps, but it falls far short of the battery life of the original iOS version.
I’ll take your anecdotal word for it.
You can argue about app support, compatibility, usability.
Objectively they are very real factors.
Denying that iOS updates worsen battery life, at this point in history, is nonsensical.
Yes I deny it as a 100% verifiable statement across the board.
And yes, I matched settings and general usage patterns. iOS 13 with 94% health struggles to get 4 hours of light use, my 6s on iOS 10 with 63% health comfortably hits 7, with the exact same usage. Like I said, updating has significant advantages which are totally valid, but denying its impact by now is nonsensical.
As I said you have your anecdotal opinion regarding this.
-We’ve been over the security issue, we’ll have to agree to disagree.
There is no agree to disagree. IOS 10 is a six year old unsupported operating system.
-I never said I could match Apple spec on the 6s. In fact, I have used (and will continue to use), an iPhone 6s for over 5 years. I haven’t matched Apple spec once. Not even when it was new. Battery life depends on usage, and the 6s was never good for heavy usage, even on iOS 9 or 10. I never denied that. I have a battery pack for when I need to, but I know what the 6s can give me and it’s enough for me.
The 6s is good enough except when you have to browse the web and it chokes. You can do what you want, and it’s good to want to keep old hardware going, but subjectively you have to play games to figure out which iphone to use based on what you want to do.
It is enough on iOS 10, it wouldn’t be if updated. At 63% health, iOS 15 would render it useless. Like I said, battery health is only relevant if the device is updated, and replacing the battery helps but it can’t match the battery life of the original iOS version.
For two reasons: one the battery is presumably stellar, and there aren’t any capabilities in the operating system that strain the cpu. Do less work get better battery life.
-You are right, this is completely subjective and there is no wrong approach. I am the extreme minority in my approach to this, given that I must circumvent the disadvantages of using older iOS versions with more devices, but it works for me. Clearly my approach is rather unique because people keep updating, at the expense of performance and battery life. And if they need to, they aren’t wrong either. They buy compatibility with performance and battery life. A simple purchase.
I can only guess why people update. I know why I update. New features, bug fixes and security patches.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I can’t vouch or not for keyboard lag so I’m going to say it’s anecdotal. But there comes a time the useful life of consumer products is exceeded either because they work less than modern counterparts or there is more than a theoretical risk in using them.

No, it’s not. You’re promulgating a Rube Goldberg approach to using your phones to get the “best” battery life. Hard facts woul go a long way to back up your assertions.

Battery life should be irrelevant to an extent in 2023. I mean nobody 10 minutes of SOT as the benchmark, but if one expects 10 hours then one better make sure the conditions are 100% ideal.

I’ll take your anecdotal word for it.

Objectively they are very real factors.

Yes I deny it as a 100% verifiable statement across the board.

As I said you have your anecdotal opinion regarding this.

There is no agree to disagree. IOS 10 is a six year old unsupported operating system.

The 6s is good enough except when you have to browse the web and it chokes. You can do what you want, and it’s good to want to keep old hardware going, but subjectively you have to play games to figure out which iphone to use based on what you want to do.

For two reasons: one the battery is presumably stellar, and there aren’t any capabilities in the operating system that strain the cpu. Do less work get better battery life.

I can only guess why people update. I know why I update. New features, bug fixes and security patches.
-Yeah, it's highly likely that an A12 Bionic device doesn't have it, but A9 devices do, like I said.

-This is a fact and I won't discuss it further: No amount of evidence will convince deniers of this fact.

-You are completely right: Battery life isn't and hasn't been an issue on original versions of iOS since the existence of the iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 8. Earlier, even original versions weren't good: the iPhone 5s was mediocre even on iOS 7 and 8. It was clear back then that battery life on iPhones was still an issue to be solved. It was terminantly solved a year later, as far as original iOS versions go. The iPhone Xʀ merely represented the next step, but the issue was already solved by then.

-I completely agree: objectively, they're very real factors. Denying them would be incorrect. I have always sustained that there are very valid reasons to update iOS, and this has always been the case. Furthermore, I have no reason to believe that this will change.

-Like you said, you can deny that cigarettes are harmful: you'd be wrong, too.

-Agreed, iOS 10 is a six-year-old, unsupported version, and like you said, its usability is undeniably limited. For what I intend to use my iPhone 6s, however, it is the perfect version.

-You are right here too: I have to circumvent issues, and Safari struggles. I'd rather have this 6s on iOS 10 stuck in a drawer or to use for music rather than obliterate it via updating it to iOS 15, however. Funnily enough, I am typing this from the 6s on iOS 10... and the keyboard is completely smooth!

-iOS 10 doesn't strain the processor like iOS 15, this is the entire core of the matter. You are completely right. This is the reason why battery life is still good 6.5 years later. This is also the reason why the iPhone 6s on iOS 15 is abhorrent. As you recognise this, I'm unsure of why you deny iOS updates impacting battery life: you are acknowledging the only reason why this happens.

-I'd add one more key reason to those you mentioned: app compatibility and support.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
-Yeah, it's highly likely that an A12 Bionic device doesn't have it, but A9 devices do, like I said.

-This is a fact and I won't discuss it further: No amount of evidence will convince deniers of this fact.

-You are completely right: Battery life isn't and hasn't been an issue on original versions of iOS since the existence of the iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 8. Earlier, even original versions weren't good: the iPhone 5s was mediocre even on iOS 7 and 8. It was clear back then that battery life on iPhones was still an issue to be solved. It was terminantly solved a year later, as far as original iOS versions go. The iPhone Xʀ merely represented the next step, but the issue was already solved by then.

-I completely agree: objectively, they're very real factors. Denying them would be incorrect. I have always sustained that there are very valid reasons to update iOS, and this has always been the case. Furthermore, I have no reason to believe that this will change.

-Like you said, you can deny that cigarettes are harmful: you'd be wrong, too.

-Agreed, iOS 10 is a six-year-old, unsupported version, and like you said, its usability is undeniably limited. For what I intend to use my iPhone 6s, however, it is the perfect version.

-You are right here too: I have to circumvent issues, and Safari struggles. I'd rather have this 6s on iOS 10 stuck in a drawer or to use for music rather than obliterate it via updating it to iOS 15, however. Funnily enough, I am typing this from the 6s on iOS 10... and the keyboard is completely smooth!

-iOS 10 doesn't strain the processor like iOS 15, this is the entire core of the matter. You are completely right. This is the reason why battery life is still good 6.5 years later. This is also the reason why the iPhone 6s on iOS 15 is abhorrent. As you recognise this, I'm unsure of why you deny iOS updates impacting battery life: you are acknowledging the only reason why this happens.

-I'd add one more key reason to those you mentioned: app compatibility and support.
I remember when I excitedly took delivery of my 6s, not plus, I never got the battery life that Apple was claiming. But I commuted to work and used the phone the entire time, signal wasn't great. With little usage, being at home near wifi the 6s was much better with battery life. So if you do more of things that sip less battery and less of the things that don't you will get good battery life.

IOS 15 has many more ways to drain your battery than ios 10 as it has more functionality. Watching PIP on a 6s could drain the battery very fast as the processor wasn't that efficient. But that is a function of concurrency and it's not that ios 15 drains the battery just because. The 6s although a step up from the a8 ushered in better performance, but not better battery life. Better battery life came because one didn't use the 6s (all this imo). Upgrades don't affect battery life as much as concurrency in older hardware. Battery life was never good on the 6s, unless you didn't use it. That said, I'd rather have a relatively safe environment (ios 15) and the support for the 6s an almost 8 year old phone will be on the obsolete list shortly.

Reactions: adrianlondon

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I remember when I excitedly took delivery of my 6s, not plus, I never got the battery life that Apple was claiming. But I commuted to work and used the phone the entire time, signal wasn't great. With little usage, being at home near wifi the 6s was much better with battery life. So if you do more of things that sip less battery and less of the things that don't you will get good battery life.

IOS 15 has many more ways to drain your battery than ios 10 as it has more functionality. Watching PIP on a 6s could drain the battery very fast as the processor wasn't that efficient. But that is a function of concurrency and it's not that ios 15 drains the battery just because. The 6s although a step up from the a8 ushered in better performance, but not better battery life. Better battery life came because one didn't use the 6s (all this imo). Upgrades don't affect battery life as much as concurrency in older hardware. Battery life was never good on the 6s, unless you didn't use it. That said, I'd rather have a relatively safe environment (ios 15) and the support for the 6s an almost 8 year old phone will be on the obsolete list shortly.
I could never match Apple's battery life number, especially on LTE. It always fell far short. On Wi-Fi I was close once, but 99.9999% of the time, Apple's number was utopian. And you're right on this too: the iPhone 6s under heavy usage was never good. It always struggled. It is significantly better than the 5s, but it isn't good.

Your second paragraph details the entire reason why this happens. Like I said, this is subjective: you'd rather have a half-heartedly secure device, and I'd rather have a device that can give me a full day of battery life with my (admittedly light) usage. Neither of those approaches is wrong, in any way. It's a matter of preference.

I have seen people who would've kept the 6s if it weren't for its paltry battery life on iOS 15. Unable to downgrade, they had to upgrade the device. That's quite unfortunate. I wouldn't use this 6s if it were on iOS 15, it would be useless for me.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I could never match Apple's battery life number, especially on LTE. It always fell far short. On Wi-Fi I was close once, but 99.9999% of the time, Apple's number was utopian. And you're right on this too: the iPhone 6s under heavy usage was never good. It always struggled. It is significantly better than the 5s, but it isn't good.

Your second paragraph details the entire reason why this happens. Like I said, this is subjective: you'd rather have a half-heartedly secure device, and I'd rather have a device that can give me a full day of battery life with my (admittedly light) usage. Neither of those approaches is wrong, in any way. It's a matter of preference.

I have seen people who would've kept the 6s if it weren't for its paltry battery life on iOS 15. Unable to downgrade, they had to upgrade the device. That's quite unfortunate. I wouldn't use this 6s if it were on iOS 15, it would be useless for me.
There is an element of objectivity to the second paragraph. A 6s on ios 15 will be more secure. Of course there are those who don't care about security or functionality and battery life is the end goal over usability and security. To each their own I suppose.

While there are those who today use an unsupported windows operating system; ie XP, 7 or Vista as if they were fully patched...hopefully these people would think twice about using these operating system to conduct secure transactions...if they even could.

The 6s at almost 8 years old will be going to the obsolete list shortly. And while it would continue working, the above objective reasons for me, would at least beckon me to update the ios version at least as much as possible. YMMV.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
There is an element of objectivity to the second paragraph. A 6s on ios 15 will be more secure. Of course there are those who don't care about security or functionality and battery life is the end goal over usability and security. To each their own I suppose.

While there are those who today use an unsupported windows operating system; ie XP, 7 or Vista as if they were fully patched...hopefully these people would think twice about using these operating system to conduct secure transactions...if they even could.

The 6s at almost 8 years old will be going to the obsolete list shortly. And while it would continue working, the above objective reasons for me, would at least beckon me to update the ios version at least as much as possible. YMMV.
To each their own I guess is our conclusion: updating for me would render the 6s useless. I’d set it on fire before willingly updating it. I have and I like devices that work correctly, and if they don’t work correctly they’re useless to me and I don’t want them anymore. That is more important to me than perceived security, app compatibility, and features. I can have all that, but if the device does not work as I intend it to, then I don’t want it anymore. I’d willingly give up anything and everything for perfect performance and battery life. In fact, I do! As long as Apple keeps obliterating devices through iOS updates, there’s nothing updates can offer that’s enticing enough for me to willingly destroy my device’s functionality.

Should Apple ever change course on this, either by freely allowing downgrading to anything I want, or by guaranteeing like-new performance and battery life, I will happily update everything I have. Until then... I’m afraid I’ll never hit the “Software (or harmware) Update” tab willingly.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
To each their own I guess is our conclusion: updating for me would render the 6s useless. I’d set it on fire before willingly updating it. I have and I like devices that work correctly, and if they don’t work correctly they’re useless to me and I don’t want them anymore. That is more important to me than perceived security, app compatibility, and features. I can have all that, but if the device does not work as I intend it to, then I don’t want it anymore. I’d willingly give up anything and everything for perfect performance and battery life. In fact, I do! As long as Apple keeps obliterating devices through iOS updates, there’s nothing updates can offer that’s enticing enough for me to willingly destroy my device’s functionality.

Should Apple ever change course on this, either by freely allowing downgrading to anything I want, or by guaranteeing like-new performance and battery life, I will happily update everything I have. Until then... I’m afraid I’ll never hit the “Software (or harmware) Update” tab willingly.
At this point apple likely will not change course. And of course you may want to set fire to the 6s anyway. People think they are impervious to hacking, until it happens to them. A six year going on seven old operating system is ripe to be hacked unless one uses it as a dumb phone. Sometimes luck is our savior.

But to each their own I suppose. I hit that update button immediately. Battery life is not an end game, it’s a parameter within a mix of parameters where efficiency and security are high on the list. Certainly higher than battery life which is easily mitigated. Code vulnerabilities are not.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Seems like too many people overthink this.
Any recent modern phones are smart enough that we don’t have to worry anymore about overcharging. Simple requirements, use proper cables and chargers, and just charge whenever you feel like it. Also, batteries have their age anyway, and no matter what you do, by 3 to 4 years old, you probably will need to replace it regardless.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
At this point apple likely will not change course. And of course you may want to set fire to the 6s anyway. People think they are impervious to hacking, until it happens to them. A six year going on seven old operating system is ripe to be hacked unless one uses it as a dumb phone. Sometimes luck is our savior.

But to each their own I suppose. I hit that update button immediately. Battery life is not an end game, it’s a parameter within a mix of parameters where efficiency and security are high on the list. Certainly higher than battery life which is easily mitigated. Code vulnerabilities are not.
I respect FeliApple’s position as a battery life and performance extremist but his use case is only applicable to 0.0001% of the population who are fixated/obsessed on the above and plan to use their devices until they stop working.

Normal users update iOS whenever instructed to do so and tend to upgrade their devices every 2-3 years meaning almost nothing FeliApple speaks of has any impact upon them.

He is in a strange and perplexing situation where he has an XR on iOS 12 as a daily driver and a 6S on iOS 10 as a supplementary device. He also somehow requires the supplementary device to have an “all day battery” even though he doesn’t appear to use it for anything demanding as it is stuck on iOS 10 and can only access built in iOS applications and can barely run Safari.

I personally cannot think of anything worse than using a 6S on iOS 10 in 2023 because, to me, it would be a useless doorstop of a device. The A9 chip performs reasonably well on iOS 15 in all regards and FeliApple is aware of this because we have discussed it on a separate thread.

He is wilfully and self-admittedly shooting himself in the foot because he will be forced to purchase a new device shortly to replace his perfectly usable XR as it will no longer have access to the applications he uses on iOS 12. Rather than update his device, he will replace it with a completely new one and thereafter refuse to update his new device. This is not normal behaviour.

He is pathologically obsessed with maintaining a device’s original battery life and performance and will jump through all sorts of ridiculous hoops to do so.

Anyway, he seems like a nice guy and he is right about the massive additional battery drain that occurs on devices which have reached their iOS limit. I would normally replace my device well before that happens so it’s not something that would affect me.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I respect FeliApple’s position as a battery life and performance extremist but his use case is only applicable to 0.0001% of the population who are fixated/obsessed on the above and plan to use their devices until they stop working.

Normal users update iOS whenever instructed to do so and tend to upgrade their devices every 2-3 years meaning almost nothing FeliApple speaks of has any impact upon them.

He is in a strange and perplexing situation where he has an XR on iOS 12 as a daily driver and a 6S on iOS 10 as a supplementary device. He also somehow requires the supplementary device to have an “all day battery” even though he doesn’t appear to use it for anything demanding as it is stuck on iOS 10 and can only access built in iOS applications and can barely run Safari.

I personally cannot think of anything worse than using a 6S on iOS 10 in 2023 because, to me, it would be a useless doorstop of a device. The A9 chip performs reasonably well on iOS 15 in all regards and FeliApple is aware of this because we have discussed it on a separate thread.

He is wilfully and self-admittedly shooting himself in the foot because he will be forced to purchase a new device shortly to replace his perfectly usable XR as it will no longer have access to the applications he uses on iOS 12. Rather than update his device, he will replace it with a completely new one and thereafter refuse to update his new device. This is not normal behaviour.

He is pathologically obsessed with maintaining a device’s original battery life and performance and will jump through all sorts of ridiculous hoops to do so.

Anyway, he seems like a nice guy and he is right about the massive additional battery drain that occurs on devices which have reached their iOS limit. I would normally replace my device well before that happens so it’s not something that would affect me.
I honestly think this is a great description. I think it’s quite amusing, too! Thanks to both of you (@I7guy too) for the civil and interesting discussion.

I probably would care a lot less about this if I upgraded more often, which I don’t because I don’t need to, like I said, they work for me. One of my theories as to why people don’t care about this is because of what you said: people upgrade sooner. If they don’t, they just don’t care as much. As long as it works for them, it’s fine. Well, not for me. I don’t even need the battery life. I have repeatedly complained about Apple’s forced update to iOS 12 from iOS 9 on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro. I’ve had this iPad on iOS 12 for 3.5 years. It hasn’t materially affected anything at all: I can literally charge it whenever I want to. But I liked when it worked properly, I think it boils down to that. And not only that: I have another iPad now, so it matters even less, but it still bothers me, because the 9.7-inch iPad Pro is my favourite iPad ever, and it isn’t as good as it could be.

This will sound funny, but it’s true: I would care a lot less about the impact of iOS updates if I cared less. If I weren’t an enthusiast about iOS devices (we all are on this forum), I’d just use it and charge it when I need to and without even checking the battery tab. I wouldn’t use my “secondary” devices. I do this because I like iOS devices and I like it when they work properly. I do: I charge it whenever I feel like it, but I preserve battery life by not updating. I wouldn’t even care, like the vast majority of people. I’m not the only Xʀ user, and those on iOS 16 don’t care because battery life is either enough, or because they don’t care if they have to use battery packs.

Users also don’t care about slight performance issues as long as it doesn’t severely affect usability (like I stated, 64-bit devices aren’t wholly affected. Yes, the keyboard lags horribly sometimes, but it isn’t unusable. It’s just far worse than it should be, but it is usable). Battery life-wise? Yeah, a degraded iPhone 6s on iOS 15 is unusable. An iPhone Xʀ which is my main phone, though? It is probably usable on iOS 16 in terms of both performance and battery life. Somebody who isn’t an enthusiast would not use two phones unless the situation requires it. Contrasting with the first sentence, I care about performance and battery life issues even if they don’t render the phone unusable. If I didn’t, I’d probably update, at least the Xʀ. The 6s is probably rendered unusable, like I said, but I doubt the Xʀ is as poor as the 6s.

Honestly, jumping through these hoops is a little annoying sometimes, but it isn’t too bad. I wouldn’t do it if it were. It isn’t difficult for me in any way to jump through these hoops.

The main difference in our usage pattern is that although we both keep older devices, I keep them in use and you don’t (you said you seldomly used the SE, and henceforth that’s why you don’t really care about battery life. Because you don’t need it).

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
My 6s run flawlessly until 12.x but it heat more frequent and slow in iOS 15. Finally I need to bring powerbank everywhere (battery has been replaced). Similar case with my 4s, which I gave up in iOS 7 due to it became unusable for my daily driver.

I might not be an ideal user. I don’t really care about security issues, tbh. Probably because I didn’t find lot of critical security issues in Apple ecosystem (iOS and Mac). But I do really concern if the phone couldn’t be use as smooth and efficient as before. Probably the ideal users will buy new phone every 1-2 years, therefore they won’t experience lagginess and slowdown from the new version.

I might need to be more careful if Apple allow slide loading or 3rd party App Store.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I honestly think this is a great description. I think it’s quite amusing, too! Thanks to both of you (@I7guy too) for the civil and interesting discussion.

I probably would care a lot less about this if I upgraded more often, which I don’t because I don’t need to, like I said, they work for me. One of my theories as to why people don’t care about this is because of what you said: people upgrade sooner. If they don’t, they just don’t care as much. As long as it works for them, it’s fine. Well, not for me. I don’t even need the battery life. I have repeatedly complained about Apple’s forced update to iOS 12 from iOS 9 on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro. I’ve had this iPad on iOS 12 for 3.5 years. It hasn’t materially affected anything at all: I can literally charge it whenever I want to. But I liked when it worked properly, I think it boils down to that. And not only that: I have another iPad now, so it matters even less, but it still bothers me, because the 9.7-inch iPad Pro is my favourite iPad ever, and it isn’t as good as it could be.

This will sound funny, but it’s true: I would care a lot less about the impact of iOS updates if I cared less. If I weren’t an enthusiast about iOS devices (we all are on this forum), I’d just use it and charge it when I need to and without even checking the battery tab. I wouldn’t use my “secondary” devices. I do this because I like iOS devices and I like it when they work properly. I do: I charge it whenever I feel like it, but I preserve battery life by not updating. I wouldn’t even care, like the vast majority of people. I’m not the only Xʀ user, and those on iOS 16 don’t care because battery life is either enough, or because they don’t care if they have to use battery packs.

Users also don’t care about slight performance issues as long as it doesn’t severely affect usability (like I stated, 64-bit devices aren’t wholly affected. Yes, the keyboard lags horribly sometimes, but it isn’t unusable. It’s just far worse than it should be, but it is usable). Battery life-wise? Yeah, a degraded iPhone 6s on iOS 15 is unusable. An iPhone Xʀ which is my main phone, though? It is probably usable on iOS 16 in terms of both performance and battery life. Somebody who isn’t an enthusiast would not use two phones unless the situation requires it. Contrasting with the first sentence, I care about performance and battery life issues even if they don’t render the phone unusable. If I didn’t, I’d probably update, at least the Xʀ. The 6s is probably rendered unusable, like I said, but I doubt the Xʀ is as poor as the 6s.

Honestly, jumping through these hoops is a little annoying sometimes, but it isn’t too bad. I wouldn’t do it if it were. It isn’t difficult for me in any way to jump through these hoops.

The main difference in our usage pattern is that although we both keep older devices, I keep them in use and you don’t (you said you seldomly used the SE, and henceforth that’s why you don’t really care about battery life. Because you don’t need it).
I have an iPad Mini 5 which is on iPadOS 16 and it runs flawlessly. The A12 chip can still handle everything without lag or slowdowns. I regularly switch between my 13 and Mini 5 when at home and I don’t notice much of a difference between both systems. The only issue you will come across with your XR will be battery life related as the performance hit is pretty much imperceptible.

I think you’re overplaying the performance drop of the A9 on iOS 15. I am typing this response on my SE and I am not experiencing any keyboard lag. I never experienced keyboard lag when using this device on WhatsApp, iMessage or any type of instant messenger. Keyboard lag only really happens on certain websites and is a rare occurrence. The SE is my secondary device now and acts as a media player rather than a proper phone as I have removed the SIM card. I still use it frequently for FaceTime calls and web-browsing though.

I reckon newer phones, such as the 12 or later, will age better than previous phones. iOS demands can no longer get near the capability of these chips and there appears to be a huge amount of headroom left over. The hardware far exceeds the software, in other words. I do not expect to come across any performance drop on my 13 for at least another 4 years as the A15 is ridiculously powerful. If battery does become a problem, MagSafe charging capability is a god send. I can regain 50%+ battery on a regular 13 without much added bulk or inconvenience. No wires or anything like that which put me off powerbanks when using my previous phones. I always end up with much more battery than I will never need in one day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.