Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Currently, Apple sell the following iPhones:
USB-C connector: iPhone 15 range
Lightning connector: iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 13, iPhone SE (3rd Gen, 2022)

In 12 months we can expect the lineup to be:
USB-C connector: iPhone 16 range, iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus
Lightning connector: iPhone 14, iPhone SE (3rd Gen, 2022)

We will have to wait and see if the iPhone SE is updated in 2024, but my question is, will the EU allow Apple to sell the iPhone 14 and possibly the 3rd Gen iPhone SE into 2025 given that the European Parliament requires that all mobile phones, tablets and cameras sold in the European Union must be equipped with a USB Type-C charging port by the end of 2024.

Would Apple discontinue the iPhone 14 in September 2024? Would Apple continue to sell the iPhone 14 everywhere but within the EU?

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Only new devices released to market after 28. Dec 2024 are affected.
So Apple can still sell the old devices if they want.

Reactions: kerr and kitKAC

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Australia

By the end of 2024, all mobile phones, tablets and cameras sold in the EU will have to be equipped with a USB Type-C charging port.

However, further down they state, “Regardless of their manufacturer, all new mobile phones … will have to be equipped with a USB Type-C port.”

So the message is not crystal clear.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I'm pretty sure that the law allows for the sales of older devices to continue even with Lightning.
This annoys me to no end, because I use plenty of commodity devices like POS terminals that still charge via microUSB.
I can't wait for them to go extinct.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022

By the end of 2024, all mobile phones, tablets and cameras sold in the EU will have to be equipped with a USB Type-C charging port.

However, further down they state, “Regardless of their manufacturer, all new mobile phones … will have to be equipped with a USB Type-C port.”

‘If the EU pushes it, then Apple would stop selling anything but the 15, but I think previous phones will be grandfathered in.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010

This has been discussed here many times. Yes old devices are allowed to sell without USBC.

EU is sometimes crazy but not that much

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

The new rules would not apply to products placed on the market before the date of application.

If you read the actual Directive, there is no mention of retroactive application of the rule. Given this, the implication with this directive is only to new products when it comes into effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.