Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

labans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2023
This phone is an SE model with 16.6.1. The problem I have concerns the blasted music app that apple put on this phone. Every time I get in my car and fire it up, the music app starts playing music that I did not ask for. I have turned off every switch I can find, especially car play, with no success. I am at the point where I will have to remove all music since I cannot continue this way. Does anyone have an answer as to how to permanently turn music unless I manually ask for a song?
If there is no way to do this can someone recommend a music app that works correctly and is designed by intelligent human beans? The interface for music is the WORST I have ever used in 30 years.
Appreciate any help.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
@labans I guess we are talking Bluetooth?
I have the same experience in my VW Caddy with BT, it always plays what I have downloaded from Itunes if I haven't fired up anything else like Spotify or similar. I think it has more to do how car manufacturers/stereo manufacturers has configured their units, have had this issue on all my VW cars using BT, always autoplay.

iOS 16.7.2 doesn't fix this problem, but it fixes a number of other bugs and patches some nasty security issues so its not a bad idea to install that.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
As a workaround, if you are using CarPlay, you should be able to create an Automation that immediately pauses the music playback after connecting to your car.
I do not have CarPlay so I am uncertain about the exact menu items and cannot test it:

Shortcuts.app > Automation > + > Create Personal Automation > CarPlay
make sure you disable "ask before running"
> Done > Next > Add Action >
Wait 1 second *perhaps this line is not necessary*
Play/Pause
> Next > Done

If you are using plain Bluetooth, you cannot disable "ask before running" and you are mostly out of luck.
The only way to fully automate actions in this case is either by using "Open an App" as trigger or by creating a dedicated 'Focus' that gets triggered by leaving a specific location.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

labans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2023
Thanks both.
Hey Guys---How about an alternative music program that has good manners??
Suggestions?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I very much like and use Cs: Music Player (former Cesium). $2.99 USD.
But I cannot test if it behaves differently than the stock Music.app in combination with CarPlay or VW Bluetooth.
I can only report that I completely removed the stock Music.app because despite never using it, it always started opening/playing radio when I accidentally hit the Play/Pause button on my Earpods.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Thanks both.
Hey Guys---How about an alternative music program that has good manners??
Suggestions?
Tbh, its doesn't seem to be about the music app, its how the bluetooth integration works, that's at least my experience from my the VW models i've used.

My scenario is like this.
If I have absolute no apps launched that plays music of some kind it will autoplay my downloaded itunes songs. If I have Spotify launched it will play that automatically and if I have a webpage that playes music, it will play that automatically.

Could be car specific of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.