Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thoughts?

• Total voters

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I just got an SE, my first iPhone and I see no reason for anything larger. But then, I'm on older dude who doesn't spend his entire life on his phone. If I need a larger screen for anything, I'll get out my iPad.

I’ve owned smartphones (mostly iphones) for 12 years and I feel the same way. The only times I need a bigger screen than my SE is when I’m at home or work, where I have iPads or computers or TVs, which I’d rather use than a phablet anyway.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
At this point I would expect any future ‘SE’ to either be in the form factor of the 8, or else a new design (smaller but based on the XR) - I think the 5s design is now too dated to really be a viable option to base a new phone on. It’s not just the internals, the screen has lower saturation, there’s no barometer, there’s no Taptic Engine, there’s no room to include any of these things. I get the whole ‘cheaper basic use and compact’ argument, but I don’t think Apple wants to stretch the cohesiveness of its product line any further. Generally I’m all for options to accommodate all tastes, but I think Apple has to draw the line on stringing this design out at some point and now makes sense.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.