Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
mtl
the iphone se 2 rumors are kind of dying out, and more speculation over iphone SE discontinuation is rising. what are your thoughts on the future of the iphone se and why do you think so? if apple was to release an improved version the SE, when do you think it will happen? and how much would the price be? :)

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I think it’s a popular enough size that it’ll see another revision or two. Unless they decide to go the other way and release a sort of X mini.

ic-v

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
I really hope they refresh or revise it sometime soon. Even though I just got a X I still love my SE and I'm someone who generally prefers smaller phones for easier portability when I'm out and about.

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
It's impossible to know; but to speculate; I don't think so.

I've noticed iOS on the SE seems to be squished and not well designed anymore. Then looking at the X today, which is too big for me, Apple could offer a smaller X and I'd buy it immediately- it looks amazing.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
It's impossible to know; but to speculate; I don't think so.

I've noticed iOS on the SE seems to be squished and not well designed anymore. Then looking at the X today, which is too big for me, Apple could offer a smaller X and I'd buy it immediately- it looks amazing.

I personally hope they end up doing the X in three sizes, in the existing chassis of the SE and the 8 Plus for the small and large sizes. Kind of unlikely, but would be nice. I'm going for the biggest they end up making, so long as they don't physically make it larger than the current plus.

At the same time though, you sit in an incredibly small minority of the user base if the X is too big. While I bet the smaller X would be a decent seller, I'd have to wonder if they'd sell enough to make it worth their while, and completely reposition that phone class from the low price point to much higher.

Reactions: somewhat_kells

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
the iphone se 2 rumors are kind of dying out, and more speculation over iphone SE discontinuation is rising. what are your thoughts on the future of the iphone se and why do you think so? if apple was to release an improved version the SE, when do you think it will happen? and how much would the price be? :)

The more I think about it, the iPhone SE was a one time offer. And what most don't understand, is that iPhone SE was actually intended for India's market and commerce. It's an entry-level iPhone that was never meant to have all the latest capabilities and features of the current iPhones, but more so offering a four-inch form factor to those who wanted a smaller iPhone.

There has only been really one rumor that indicated a photo shopped updated iPhone SE casing, but it was proven false. Otherwise, there has been very little indication that we will see an iPhone SE in 2018.

If the iPhone SE is updated, the only time we would likely see it announced would be between March and June. I don't think Apple will update the SE in September 2018 along side the other iPhones.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I don’t think they’ll discontinue it completely without replacing it with a similar entry-level phone. It sells incredibly well in South Asia and Africa. Those aren’t markets to abandon.

Reactions: MartyvH

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
They should discontinue all form factors other than the the iPhone X and focus solely on that. Time to move on from the past. That’s includes both the SE and the 8/8 Plus.

Reactions: KONVICTED

DantesFire

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
I love my SE. an upgraded version is the only new iphone I would buy, as I can't afford the bigger models and prefer the smaller size for convenience. I think they will eventually release SE2 however if they don't, probably some other manufacturer will make a comparable product, there are a lot of people who would buy such a phone.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
I think it's very uncertain. We are in uncharted territory after the big change to the flagship phones and every phone is influenced by the flagships to some extent. It is in Apple's best interest to model future phones on the X, but the X is expensive to manufacture. So a successor will be difficult to predict.

My best guess is a completely different direction to the SE, whatever that is. A 6/7/8-body SE, who knows. I just hope it won't be a stripped down budget piece of junk like so many phones in Androidland.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I can see a market for the SE2, but somewhere deep down I feel alarm bells on the number of phones Apple has out on the market now in so many screen sizes and resolutions. I just hope that they are thinking through the pros and cons carefully, as it is very easy to slide down this slippery slope.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
I can see a market for the SE2, but somewhere deep down I feel alarm bells on the number of phones Apple has out on the market now in so many screen sizes and resolutions.

Samsung is doing that a lot more. To Samsung, phone models are disposable and it's OK with that. I don't like the approach but the landfill phone train speeds on. Apple is far better in the area of lasting value, but we shall see if that...lasts.

A 6/7/8-body SE

If that happened, I would seriously keep my current SE for as long as I could. Replace the battery, screen, whatever fault occurs. I believe the iPhone 8 is only filler because Apple can't make a smaller X. The 6/7/8 design dated much faster than the 5/5S/SE. The 8 is like an old bulky laptop, especially next to every other new phone.

Last edited:

Sam_S

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2016
Everywhere
They should discontinue all form factors other than the the iPhone X and focus solely on that. Time to move on from the past. That’s includes both the SE and the 8/8 Plus.

I agree with discontinuing the iPhone 7 and 8 lines. But the SE is much different and appeals to large number of customers such as me.

Small enough to use with one hand, not too bulky for running, can fit in all my pockets, much more durable, the list goes on....

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I'm worried they'll misunderstand what we actually like about the SE and just push a "new version of a 6/6s/7", in one of those existing casings, with some feature stripping and make that the entry level new device.

Sort of like what the "new" iPad is right now (non pro one)
[doublepost=1519681333][/doublepost]
A 6/7/8-body SE,

Just saw this.
Yep. Fully with you Marty.

That's my main concern at this point.
If they do that - they've ruined it for me. Totally.

Reactions: subjonas

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
It must still be selling. In Australia the best price for the 32GB model has just come down to US$378 and the 128GB is at least US$496. Seems like it still has a high value.

lbdesign

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
I hope Apple reads these forums, and I hope they see how many people love the 5/SE form factor. I certainly do. I treasure my iPhone SE, and I'd continue to buy this size for many years to come.
I already have a tablet — I don't need a phablet phone too.

I'm not happy about the move towards consumers buying giant phones at the expense of laptops and other larger and more capable computing devices ('capable' to me means able to run full-featured content creation applications, not feature-limited apps, and to freely express yourself via any input method you choose).
I see relying on phones vs computers as speeding up the dumbing-down of our culture.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I hope Apple reads these forums, and I hope they see how many people love the 5/SE form factor. I certainly do. I treasure my iPhone SE, and I'd continue to buy this size for many years to come.
I already have a tablet — I don't need a phablet phone too..

I highly believe Apple doesn’t likely pay attention to rumored websites like these. As a matter of fact, they have a policy in place where employees are prohibited from participating in websites like MacRumors. I think Apple would have to consider the financial aspect if an SE2 makes sense in their iPhone lineup to be updated or refresh. It was last predicted by Ming Kuo that a refresh of the SE2 will not release in 2018 due to Apple exercising their resources into three new iPhones with a 6.1/5.8/6.5 2018 phones.

However, I think if an iPhone SE 2 does happen, it’s likely going to be between March and June. If it doesn’t see an update by then, I don’t believe that iPhone SE 2 will be in existence in 2018. I do think Apple will keep the SE in their lineup if they don’t refresh an SE 2.

Reactions: Martyimac

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I already have a tablet — I don't need a phablet phone too.
They do listen. Moreso when the numbers tell them the same story as well. Apple already knows people love the SE besides reading sites like these. How? Sales. Apple was taken by surprise by how many SE devices they sold vs what they had forecasted. The sales outpaced the forecast quite strongly, enough to even have Cook mention so in an investors call.

Reactions: lbdesign

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
They do listen. Moreso when the numbers tell them the same story as well. Apple already knows people love the SE besides reading sites like these. How? Sales. Apple was taken by surprise by how many SE devices they sold vs what they had forecasted. The sales outpaced the forecast quite strongly, enough to even have Cook mention so in an investors call.

The problem could be if Apple misunderstands what people like about the SE.

When it was first released, the legacy casing was the 5s casing and so it was a great opportunity for them to offer a lower priced/entry level device for a relatively low price by re-purpsoing parts/ideas into an existing older case design.

We all happen to love that case design, and size, of course...

But at this moment in time, the legacy casing is really the 6/6s/7, etc shape/size..and I'm worried Apple is only concerned about the "low entry price" and "re-purposing parts" part of the SE and not the specific form factor and size that we all love it for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.