Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Tandem OLED, I assume. Technically possible? Yes. Still might never happen due to whatever reason Apple considers important (cost, design, segmentation, tech roadmap / timing, etc).

Reactions: chabig

iPhone2019

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2019
I’ll wait for it. Apple could release an ultra model next year with a tandem OLED, a multi-spectral sensor, a 1-inch primary camera sensor, and 16GB of RAM. The Chinese are doing it, so why should Apple lag behind for 2-3 years?

Reactions: JPack

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Tandem OLEDs aren't really necessary on phones. Larger OLED displays use a different version of OLED technology than phone displays which results in lower brightness even compared to LED LCD panels. Example: The Dell XPS 15" with OLED is rated for a max 400 nits brightness vs. 500 nits for the LED LCD version vs. 600 nits for the 14" MacBook Pro with mini LED. Tandem OLED addresses that by doubling the light producing pixels.

The iPad Pro with tandem OLED gets 1000 nits brightness and 1600 nits HDR brightness. The iPhone 15 Pro's OLED display gets... 1000 nits brightness and 1600 nits HDR brightness (up to 2000 in outdoor environments). So there's no benefit to the iPhone getting tandem OLED, this just bring's the iPad's display up to par with the iPhones.

BACKGROUND:
Standard phone-sized OLED displays are made up of individually glowing pixels in that light up either red, green, or blue. This is called an RGB OLED panel. This provides exceptional brightness but is expensive to produce.

Larger OLED displays are made up entirely of white pixels with an RGB film overlay. This is called a white OLED or WOLED panel. Because the light from the white pixels has to pass through the colored film coating to produce the intended color it loses some of that light output in the process, hence WOLED displays aren't as bright as RGB OLED displays.

You'll see Quantum-Dot OLEDs advertised especially on Samsung TVs; this is sort of a stepping stone between WOLED and RGB OLED. It is technically possible to produce a tablet, laptop, monitor, or TV-sized RGB LED display but it would be insanely expensive.

Tandem OLED basically takes two WOLED panels and stacks them so the combined brightness is equal to an RGB OLED panel like what the iPhone already has.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but it’s my understanding that the need for tandem OLED is mostly because at the size of displays the iPad has would mean non-tandem OLED wouldn’t be bright enough for HDR. On iPhone the screen sizes are much smaller and can get plenty bright without needing the tandem part.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yes, it's already being used on Huawei/Honor smartphones like Honor Magic 6 RSR. The brightness is up to 1,800 nits.

Possible? See above.

Will Apple do it? Probably. It's just a matter of cost. Tandem OLED actually increases power efficiency because a single panel doesn't need to be overdriven beyond its brightness/efficiency range.

Many automotive applications use tandem OLED for longevity and brightness. Smartphones used outdoor need the brightness.

iPhone2019

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2019
It's the power efficiency that I'm looking forward to. 30 to 40 percent less power usage with a tandem OLED. That's a couple of hours extra in battery life. Add the new blue pholed from UDC to both of those layers, and the battery life will be even greater. Why not? I would pay extra for an iPhone with these specs.

Last edited:

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Tandem OLEDs aren't really necessary on phones. Larger OLED displays use a different version of OLED technology than phone displays which results in lower brightness even compared to LED LCD panels. Example: The Dell XPS 15" with OLED is rated for a max 400 nits brightness vs. 500 nits for the LED LCD version vs. 600 nits for the 14" MacBook Pro with mini LED. Tandem OLED addresses that by doubling the light producing pixels.

The iPad Pro with tandem OLED gets 1000 nits brightness and 1600 nits HDR brightness. The iPhone 15 Pro's OLED display gets... 1000 nits brightness and 1600 nits HDR brightness (up to 2000 in outdoor environments). So there's no benefit to the iPhone getting tandem OLED, this just bring's the iPad's display up to par with the iPhones.

BACKGROUND:
Standard phone-sized OLED displays are made up of individually glowing pixels in that light up either red, green, or blue. This is called an RGB OLED panel. This provides exceptional brightness but is expensive to produce.

Larger OLED displays are made up entirely of white pixels with an RGB film overlay. This is called a white OLED or WOLED panel. Because the light from the white pixels has to pass through the colored film coating to produce the intended color it loses some of that light output in the process, hence WOLED displays aren't as bright as RGB OLED displays.

You'll see Quantum-Dot OLEDs advertised especially on Samsung TVs; this is sort of a stepping stone between WOLED and RGB OLED. It is technically possible to produce a tablet, laptop, monitor, or TV-sized RGB LED display but it would be insanely expensive.

Tandem OLED basically takes two WOLED panels and stacks them so the combined brightness is equal to an RGB OLED panel like what the iPhone already has.
This is better than a Wikipedia entry!

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
It's the power efficiency that I'm looking forward to. 30 to 40 percent less power usage with a tandem OLED. That's a couple of hours extra in battery life. Add the new blue pholed from UDC to both of those layers, and the battery life will be even greater. Why not? I would pay extra for an iPhone with these specs.
This reminds me of all the people whining about how Apple is late to the game with oled, even though the oled that Apple uses is technically far superior to what the competition offers.

iPhone2019

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2019
This reminds me of all the people whining about how Apple is late to the game with oled, even though the oled that Apple uses is technically far superior to what the competition offers.
How is it technically superior? Samsung, LG, and BOE produce the iPhone's displays. The Chinese phones use bigger camera sensors. Look at who is leading the scoreboard on Dxomark. The iPhone 18 Pro will have a 1-inch camera sensor at the current pace.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The iPhone 15 (even the non-Pro) already has 2000 nits peak brightness though.

That's HDR though. But if you want to compare HDR:

iPhone 15 = 2,000 nits
Magic 6 RSR = 6,000 nits

These are some typical numbers:

2024-06-01_16-20-02.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: klasma

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Crazy numbers. Who needs 6000 nits on a phone?? Maybe I’m in the minority but I’m not watching HDR movies on my 6 inch phone and expecting a great experience

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.