Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anyone had to get a replacement iPhone X?

• Yes, entire phone replacement

• No, but parts were replaced

• Nope, my iPhone X is fine

• I don't have an iPhone X

Results are only viewable after voting.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Just adding a data point.. wife's X is running strong.. and she drops it on hardwoods all the time. It does have a big scratch all the way across the screen but that's on her.. she just tosses it in her purse.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
I have had AN iPhone X for over 3.5 months (had one since the release date). To say the least this was the worst experience as I had to get a second (replacement) iPhone X, two and a half months later. Originally, I created a quick vid on the issue that led to me having to get a replacement iPhone X, but it turned out as a rant on why I really hated the X, which was not the message I was trying to portray. So I re-created that as a mini-review on the iPhone X, highlighting the main advantages, disadvantages, and explain the chaos I went through with my iPhone X. Here are time interval for the video:
Intro: 0:01- 0:21
Screen/Notch: 0:22- 1:10
Face ID: 1:11 – 1:34
MAJOR PROBLEM/ISSUE (Battery?): 1:35- 3:16
Camera (#ShotOniPhoneX): 3:17- 3:30
Software: 3:31- 4:02
Hardware Issues: 4:03- 4:30
Conclusion (Is it worth $1000?): 4:31- 5:21

I honestly feel that I can explain the issue through the video more clearly, then writing it out (posted about it 2 months back and from the feedback it seemed most people didn’t understand the issue). However, for people that like reading instead of watching, here is a summary for the main points:

Screen/Notch: Screen is amazing. You eventually adapt to the notch, like how we have adapted to bezel on older iPhones. Notch is annoying during videos because I like to take advantage of the screen, but due to the aspect ratio and the presence of the notch, content is cropped. (Hopefully the aspect ratio is fixed with iPhone 2018 Plus)
Face ID: Love it! It might be slower than TID, but features make it more convenient such as revealing notification only when the use looks at the phone.
MAJOR PROBLEM/ISSUE: On the first iPhone X, battery will randomly drain overnight (like from 50% to 0% without being used). Battery status will show weird things like camera using 80% on the charge (only used for 1 min) or iMessage using 48% (used for 7 mins). Battery tests showed it still had 100% of original capacity. Took it to the Apple Store twice. First time: Factory restore and set up as new iPhone, this didn’t fix anything. Second Time: replaced entire phone with new X. This is when it got weird. Since the first time wasn’t as Software issue, apple said I can put the backup on the old X to the new X. I did this. Then a week later on the new X, the battery issue returned. I then factory reset it and set it up as new and did not use a back up, and this solved it on the new X, which is the one I am using. Do not understand why that happened. This leads me to believe the first iPhone X had some hardware and software issue (Does something like this ever occur?)
Software: Improve with relocating control centre access point. Show battery percentage of phone when inside battery settings. Stability fixes (crashes easily).
Hardware: When turning off the phone I sometimes take screen shots for where the volume-up button and side button is (getting tired of doing this). Also, camera bump causes it to be unstable on flat surface. Worried the camera lens will get scratched (thus I now use a case)
Conclusion: Not worth $1000. But I feel it is more worth than $800 for iPhone 8 Plus which is already out-dated in comparison to other 2017 flagship phone (IMO). For $1000 they could include 128GB standard option, faster charger cable/brick, or wireless charging pad.

This was the worst experience with Apple products for me, because from all the Apple devices my family and I have owned, this was the first one with a defect. Travelling to the Apple Store twice was not fun, but worth it at the end of the day.

Defects can occur in any phone, just because MY iPhone X had an issue does not mean that ALL iPhone X are bad. Don't let this issue be the reason you don’t buy an X. IMO the iPhone X is a great phone in general, as long as it is functioning normally!

How has your iPhone X experience been? How long have you had it?
Anyone had any issues/defects with their iPhone X? Anyone have the same issue as me?
No problems since the launch day. Fortunate for me and those who have not had any problems with our beautiful most advanced and best iPhone in the iPhone history up to date.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Complaining about the camera bump on the X when it’s been an issue since the 6 for some people. lol

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Complaining about the camera bump on the X when it’s been an issue since the 6 for some people. lol

The Camera bump never striked me as an issue ever. And I can never recall a time anyone commenting on the camera bump outside a tech forum, it’s only the most particular of those who dissect every literal iPhone feature to what they don’t like about it on sites like these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.