Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swiping from the top to see control center, will that annoy you?

• Total voters

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
It's a lot of extra work to swipe down from the top of the screen currently on the iPhone 6 and above, and even more annoying if using a 6 or 7 Plus.

Using the iPhone X this will be manditory to access control center, this seems as unnecessary as removing the home button just to have a "cool looking" full screen display.

Seems like an awful trade off for an extra 1/2" of screen that isn't needed and won't even be taken advantage of in many situations.

Reactions: Ravi_MR

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It doesn't annoy me. It's different, but I will adjust like anything else. I think the trade-off is worth it having all the other options with iPhone X. I guess not everything can Be completely convenient for everyone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It's something that will take some adjustment. I REALLY like the current implementation of swiping up.

Since android accesses those toggles with a swipe down from the top gesture, it won't be a huge deal for anyone with android experience.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
It will only take some time to adjust. It won't be bothersome except for those that also own an iPad or an older iPhone, and have to have everything mixed up.

The false positives/negatives will be annoying. But only slightly.

bslow1

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2017
What annoys me is how un-intuitively the gestures have been implemented. Right swipe - control center, middle/left swipe - notifications? Great job Jony and team.
It's a good point. The new gestures aren't very intuitive. It's just going to rely on memory, which isn't how things used to be done at Apple. And they're kinda randomly implemented.

As my brother put it while watching the press conference: "This swiping **** isn't precise!"

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
It will only take some time to adjust. It won't be bothersome except for those that also own an iPad or an older iPhone, and have to have everything mixed up.

The false positives/negatives will be annoying. But only slightly.

On iOS, control center has always been swipe up from bottom - that in itself is a pretty material change to how millions of people are accustomed to using their iPhone. Bad idea.

Reactions: Ravi_MR

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
On iOS, control center has always been swipe up from bottom - that in itself is a pretty material change to how millions of people are accustomed to using their iPhone. Bad idea.

cool. And once you re-train yourself, you will be fine. Just like how we retrained ourselves to unlock our phones with TouchID as opposed to swipe to unlock. Or even how we retrained ourselves between the different types of TouchID unlock we had between software updates (I don't recall which ones).

Reactions: bambooshots

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
cool. And once you re-train yourself, you will be fine. Just like how we retrained ourselves to unlock our phones with TouchID as opposed to swipe to unlock. Or even how we retrained ourselves between the different types of TouchID unlock we had between software updates (I don't recall which ones).

Sure we will, humans are great that way. The real question is whether it was really necessary? Change for the sake of change is pretty pointless in my view.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013

It was between iOS9 and iOS10.

My girlfriend complained about it once when iOS10 was first installed on her 6S.

Haven't heard anything about it since.

People will get used to it. MR people just like to throw tantrums when they don't get their way.

Reactions: NovemberWhiskey

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Sure we will, humans are great that way. The real question is whether it was really necessary? Change for the sake of change is pretty pointless in my view.

This was not change for the sake of change. This was change, and a cascade of change, for the sake of an E2E OLED display. That display cost us TouchID, the home button --> had to change the UI with the bottom swipe to go home -->move the control center to the top right --> have you ask your question

Don't let the E2E control you.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
This was not change for the sake of change. This was change, and a cascade of change, for the sake of an E2E OLED display. That display cost us TouchID, the home button --> had to change the UI with the bottom swipe to go home -->move the control center to the top right --> have you ask your question

Don't let the E2E control you.

At that E2E OLED display has compromised an integral component of the iOS user experience - which was unnecessary, and that's my point.

Jaybrwn

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
Ocean Front ☀
It doesn't annoy me. It's different, but I will adjust like anything else. I think the trade-off is worth it having all the other options with iPhone X. I guess not everything can Be completely convenient for everyone.
Exactly! That’s why they have 8/8 plus models. So, for those who don’t want the face ID can buy the iPhone 8/8plus! No one is forcing anyone to BUY THE IPHONE X. Jeeezzzz people

Reactions: 44267547

baldgye3000

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2017
It's a good point. The new gestures aren't very intuitive. It's just going to rely on memory, which isn't how things used to be done at Apple. And they're kinda randomly implemented.

As my brother put it while watching the press conference: "This swiping **** isn't precise!"

I feel like the kind of mess that iOS has become came about because of Ives radical changes to the look and feel of the OS. Like how the options menu for Safari is a box with an upward arrow, but the options menu while playing music is three dots...

On the X will be three screens you get too via dragging down; control centre, notifications and search?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

It's stupid though that your iPad will use one set of gestures and your iPhone another.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Exactly! That’s why they have 8/8 plus models. So, for those who don’t want the face ID can buy the iPhone 8/8plus! No one is forcing anyone to BUY THE IPHONE X. Jeeezzzz people

In other words:

“If you don’t like the unintuitive and slightly more cumbersome gestures in the iPhone X, you can buy an iPhone 8/8 plus with a smaller, lower quality screen and fewer features that is only a slightly improved, more expensive version of last year’s phones. - Tim Cook”

We’re not exactly talking about two equivalent alternatives here.

Last edited:

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
Ugh I hate this, and not because it's something new to learn... I have a reg size 7 and can't easily swipe down from the top using the phone one handed. I rarely use notification center because of this. I use control center all the time :( I tend to balance the bottom of my phone on my pinky to prevent drops and when I do this I can't reach the top.

Ravi_MR

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
I love accessing control centre with the thumb - helped with one hand usage.
Given the current set up, one suggestion/wish for iPhone x would be - after going into today's view by swiping right from home screen, a swipe up should bring up the control centre ie - only from today's view. Another swipe up can bring us to home screen from there....

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Let me explain something really quick that the Apple engineers were too stupid to understand:

Notification Center and Control Center are two of the most important aspects of the software. Placing them at the top of a taller display is unbelievably incompetent. These should both be at the bottom of the iPhone X. The Home bar should swipe left to get to control center, and swipe right to get to Notification Center, and there should be a new widgets page you get to via a swipe down from the top, since it is least used. Instead Apple choose to idiotically use that space for swiping back and forth between apps. It's honestly sad that Apple's teams were able to do the worst possible thing in every possible way on the iPhone X.

They need someone with intellect in charge.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.