Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
First thing I did after opening my iPhone was revise it, analize it. I always do that and place them directly in a case afterwards (look at the soft cloth I used for doing this)

Here are the pictures, there's a small dent at the bottom (se how light bends?). And close to it, a smudge which you would think is a finger print (?) ...well; NO

THAT smudge didn't came off with anything. --> It's UNDER the glass.

I have video to appreciate how light bends in the dent area, and for a better smudge look.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? and .. WHAT CAN I DO? ... THIS LUCK MAN

1.jpg
IMG_7516.PNG

2.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
First thing I did after opening my iPhone was revise it, analize it. I always do that and place them directly in a case afterwards (look at the soft cloth I used for doing this)

Here are the pictures, there's a small dent at the bottom (se how light bends?). And close to it, a smudge which you would think is a finger print (?) ...well; NO

THAT smudge didn't came off with anything. --> It's UNDER the glass.

I have video to appreciate how light bends in the dent area, and for a better smudge look.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? and .. WHAT CAN I DO? ... THIS LUCK MAN

View attachment 736196 View attachment 736195
View attachment 736197

I will tell you exactly what I would do, I would return it and exchange it for a new device. You're covered under 14 day return period.

wittyphrase

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2017
New York
Best recommendation would be to take it into an Apple store as soon as possible and show it to them.

Failing that, contact customer support and they'll probably get you squared away with a new one.

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I will tell you exactly what I would do, I would return it and exchange it for a new device. You're covered under 14 day return period.

See I hate my situation. I live in México; have a holiday house in TEXAS.

I wanted to be sure to get my iPhone X so I choosed the US Store that 27 Oct day at 2am (Central Time). And have it sent to the US shipping address.

So, I opened here in México; there are no close Apple Stores, not from here, and not from the US holiday house. Closest one is in San antonio (2-3 hour ride)

In México, 3rd party certified facilities (Mac Stores) they say they don't have that "come in and swipe for a new one" policy .. I'm f...

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
See I hate my situation. I live in México; have a holiday house in TEXAS.

I wanted to be sure to get my iPhone X so I choosed the US Store that 27 Oct day at 2am (Central Time). And have it sent to the US shipping address.

So, I opened here in México; there are no close Apple Stores, not from here, and not from the US holiday house. Closest one is in San antonio (2-3 hour ride)

In México, 3rd party certified facilities (Mac Stores) they say they don't have that "come in and swipe for a new one" policy .. I'm f...

Apple can mail them then have your faulty one returned, I’m sure.

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Apple can mail them then have your faulty one returned, I’m sure.

I’ll call them.

But aghh.. they sent REFURBISHED ones, no?

Time consuming. I hate how here in México they say they can’t just give you the “for sale” units.

Any experience tips I can use guys? (For my specific scenario),

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Huh? Of course. Whenever you get a “device only” (no accesories or original box) exchange, it is a refurbished one.

No? I’ve read everywhere they are,
[doublepost=1510855692][/doublepost]
there are no refurbished ones

Huh? Of course. Whenever you get a “device only” (no accesories or original box) exchange, it is a refurbished one.

No? I’ve read everywhere they are,

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
A. Theres likely no refurbished units yet. The phone is too new.
B. Who cares if it's refurbished anyway? It's indistinguishable from new, and it won't have a dent like yours.

If you have some kind of irrational allergy to a device only replacement, sounds like it's time for a road trip to San Diego.

Reactions: alecgold

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I dont mind the refurbished one .. but that's why I also said "time consuming" .. because as you said, .. how can they have refurbished ones right now? how are they supposed to resolve this to me?

A. Theres likely no refurbished units yet. The phone is too new.
B. Who cares if it's refurbished anyway? It's indistinguishable from new, and it won't have a dent like yours.

If you have some kind of irrational allergy to a device only replacement, sounds like it's time for a road trip to San Diego.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I dont mind the refurbished one .. but that's why I also said "time consuming" .. because as you said, .. how can they have refurbished ones right now? how are they supposed to resolve this to me?
they keep a stock of device only phones, brand new, for people with defective phones right after launch. 6 months from now, you would likely get a refurb. but right now you will receive a new phone, device only.

Reactions: fischersd

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Doesn't matter. It is better to return and rebuy. If he exchanges it for a "refurbished" one and it has a yellow screen, he is at the mercy of the manager if he wants to do another exchange.

thats incorrect. the replacement device, not refurbished, would be exchanged just like the original

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
thats incorrect. the replacement device, not refurbished, would be exchanged just like the original

Go look in any "yellow screen" thread. They aren't going to let you do multiple exchanges and after the first exchange you can't return it. Stop spreading incorrect information.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
1) Take pictures and document what occurred.
2) Contact Apple and get a replacement device by visiting your local store.
3) Once the problem has been addressed by Apple to your satisfaction, make a thread to discuss.

If this were a t.v. or some other appliance, I have a feeling you would have returned the item asap, without making a thread to discuss the obvious steps needed.

Reactions: haruhiko

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Do we really need another thread about this? If you buy a product, any product, and something is wrong with it, you should return it. Problem solved.
Do we really need another post like this? If you're so giddy with your device go enjoy it instead of chastising people who want to speak their mind. Let people vent and show the quality control issues. Helps others check for similar things before accepting a product they spend their hard earned money on. Additionally, if someone wants to brainstorm and get feedback on how or whether to exchange or return let them since there is no rule about making a thread like this. The forum is for open discussion, if you don't like the thread and think it doesn't deserve a response, don't reply.

Reactions: macfacts and Kagio
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.