Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Absolutely panicking and freaking out right now. My iPhone X deleted 100s of thousands of emails from my accounts and they cannot be restored. I set it up from an iCloud Backup and it did NOT retain my email settings like it should so it was set to delete Trash emails after a week even though on my previous iPhone it was set to Never, so now my new iPhone X did this without my permission or me wanting to do this and it has deleted 100s of thousands of emails I desperately need for reference and legal matters. Any suggestions or what I can do?

These email accounts were IMAP accounts and my email host did not keep backups. I keep backups but the backup runs each day and only retains the past two backups and I got this iPhone X last week. I didn't notice these settings until today when I went to go look for emails in my trash. PLEASE HELP!

Ok I get it I messed up, but what can be done or checked at this point? I have learned my lesson and will properly back everything up once I get this taken care of which is urgent.

I can't help, and I hate it when people reply like this, but I have to. I'm an IT guy and I have people storing important documents in the Trash all the time, and then complaining about it when they get deleted. THIS IS AN ABSURD THING TO BE DOING. I just don't get on what level people think it is acceptable to use Trash for storage. (Maybe it's because there's a key/swipe that puts it there, instead of having to click and drag?) The main "lesson" you need to learn is not to store messages in Trash. Yes, you should backup too, but that's secondary to your current problem.

ET3SW

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
TX
Sorry this doesn't help you but I work in IT and have never understood why people use the Deleted Items/Trash folder as an archive... That seems like the worst possible place for one but it's very common. :confused:

Same here. It boggles my mind when people store their emails in trash. Just make a new folder and save it in there instead..lol

It seems to click with them once i make the comparison of "You wouldn't store your important stuff in your trash bin at home would you?"

Reactions: Y2JDMBFAN

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Guys I get I messed up, but is there really nothing else I can do? I only use Apple Mail on my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro and they all shows the deleted trash messages are gone. Nothing else I can do?

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
Guys I get I messed up, but is there really nothing else I can do? I only use Apple Mail on my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro and they all shows the deleted trash messages are gone. Nothing else I can do?
For starters you can change the subject of this thread to “I put 100s of thousands of emails in the trash and now they’re gone”

Other than that, no, there isn’t anything you can do

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Were your email accounts IMAP? If your email accounts were IMAP, how would those backups back up your emails?
[doublepost=1510782452][/doublepost]
I tried, they have no backups other than the two I have from the past two days which don't do me any good as these backups were AFTER my iPhone automatically did the deleting.
Fun fact. When doing a full time machine backup, everything, is included, as well as locally Downloaded email. They are stored in the system as a special format file that spotlight search has indexed its contents so you can search mail texts. Surely, you cannot do much to those files directly but they are there. (Correct me if I am wrong. I know this when using grandperspective )

Reactions: Maclver

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011

You seem to be fishing for a "yes there's something you can do" among a sea of "no you're screwed" replies.

Short of contacting your email provider and seeing if they keep backups, no - there is nothing else you can do. Honestly, why do you think that folder is labeled "Trash"???

california_kid

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2016
San Francisco
A couple possibilities:
  • Assuming you don't clean out your sent emails, you should still have a copy of all emails that you replied or sent.
  • Assuming you use Apple mail, you may still have attachment files that you opened in the temp directly. You can google "Apple mail temp directory" for more info. Outlook does something similar too.
  • Get in touch with some Russian hackers. I'm told they can find anyones' "deleted" emails.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
One thing I do with important emails that I need/want to save is to stash them in a new folder set up within mail ("On My Mac") and also in iCloud ("archived emails") so that I won't lose anything which is something I will need or want to refer again to later or just want to save for posterity. Why anyone would stick items they actually want to keep into the "Trash" category in Mail is unfathomable to me. Good grief! Just set up a new folder, for pete's sake.

I also have my machines set up to keep emails on the server, too, so that in case I do accidentally delete an email from one of my computers (which then removes it from the others and from my iPad/iPhone as well) I do still have the opportunity to go to the webmail of my ISP and rescue the item there. Even at that, there have been a couple of times when I've gotten too enthusiastic and vigorous with housecleaning my email and only later realized that, oops, I probably deleted something which wasn't meant to be discarded. That's one reason I'm a bit wary of IMAP, although for the most part it is much more convenient than POP in several ways.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I never understand why people keep things they need in a trash folder - it is a trash folder which means you don't need anymore. You can create any number of other folders to keep mail in when you don't want in inbox. When I ran an IT organization I remember way back having this discussion - if you throw things in the trash can at home or at work do you expect stuff to still be there weeks later?
Do you also keep years of mail in the spam folder?
I also do a check of stetting after getting a new phone or doing restores.

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
Sorry to hear that OP. I really hope you manage to get them back. Contact your email provider any way you can, I suppose.
I’ve never had something quite so bad but lost about 8 months of everything when ios6 bricked my 4s. I had been ignoring the “This iPhone has not been backed up for __ weeks” messages, thinking ‘I’ll do it later’. A lesson you only need to learn once.
Condolences, heartfelt, and ignore some of the teenagers/idiots in this thread.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Fun fact. When doing a full time machine backup, everything, is included, as well as locally Downloaded email. They are stored in the system as a special format file that spotlight search has indexed its contents so you can search mail texts. Surely, you cannot do much to those files directly but they are there. (Correct me if I am wrong. I know this when using grandperspective )

You can actually do some work with these TimeMachine backups. You can restore them to the system as a copy (ie. not overwrite existing) and then import them into Mac's Mail.app. I have recovered lost attachments for family like this in the past.

That said, as mentioned, if the e-mail was not downloaded locally, not much there to work with, even when imported.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I hope these emails were personal and not for work. You could be in some deep trouble if you were storing important work emails in your trash bin.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Do you complain when you put important documents in your office's trash can and they're gone?

This, if true, is really funny and you should bear the consequences.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
You can actually do some work with these TimeMachine backups. You can restore them to the system as a copy (ie. not overwrite existing) and then import them into Mac's Mail.app. I have recovered lost attachments for family like this in the past.

That said, as mentioned, if the e-mail was not downloaded locally, not much there to work with, even when imported.
This. Enter Time Machine and navigate to ~/Library/Mail and start poking around. If you find a large MBOX file with the name of your email account (e.g. Gmail,mbox) that could be your pre-deleted mail.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
Absolutely panicking and freaking out right now. My iPhone X deleted 100s of thousands of emails from my accounts and they cannot be restored. I set it up from an iCloud Backup and it did NOT retain my email settings like it should so it was set to delete Trash emails after a week even though on my previous iPhone it was set to Never, so now my new iPhone X did this without my permission or me wanting to do this and it has deleted 100s of thousands of emails I desperately need for reference and legal matters. Any suggestions or what I can do?

These email accounts were IMAP accounts and my email host did not keep backups. I keep backups but the backup runs each day and only retains the past two backups and I got this iPhone X last week. I didn't notice these settings until today when I went to go look for emails in my trash. PLEASE HELP!

Wait.

You kept '100s of thousands of emails' you 'desperately need for reference and legal matters' ... in the trash?

I don't even know where to begin.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
There are two trash bins in most email.

There's the Trash/Delete Items folder, but there's also the Recover Deleted Items folder, you don't have simple access to.

You have to log onto the webmail servers for each account, and go to the trash folders there, and find/select recover deleted items. Typically the Recover Deleted items folder keeps objects for 30 days.

I am an email admin for Exchange/Office 365.

For legal purposes I get requests for HR/Legal holds and this secondary box is a good resource to reach back 30 days for any deleted emails or users trying to cover their tracks.

Do not waste any time, check these folders.

Reactions: sean000

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Wait.

You kept '100s of thousands of emails' you 'desperately need for reference and legal matters' ... in the trash?

I don't even know where to begin.

Not that they were important, my mom did this. I simply said, STOP!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.