Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one would you buy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
So i´m thinking of upgrading from my old 6S and 6 Plus to a newer iphone, but don´t want to pay the ridiculous prices the XS costs (1300$ - 1600$ in my European country).

So what is your opinion about iPhone X vs iPhone XR? Which one would you choose and why?

The X seems to be better in some ways but is an older model, while the XR is a newer model but is the cheaper brother of the better XS.

I was leaning a bit towards the iPhone X earlier, but now i really don´t know?

So whats your opinion of which one you would choose, and why?

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Use the search function, this question has been asked and answered before.

Yes but i made my own thread. So did you had an opinion or not....maybe cast a vote??

Last edited:

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Xr .

Newer processor , better camera , a lot better battery. No PWM .

Thanks for your opinion. I just like the design better on the X with the stainless steel. Also it has the OLED screen and dual rear camera.
But maybe the things which are better on the XR outweighs the better things on the X?
[doublepost=1551779865][/doublepost]
No point asking us. Go to a store & decide for yourself.

Yes there is a point in asking, otherwise i wouldn´t ask. Thats one of the points with a forum to ask for opinions.
So did you have an opinion?

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
The whole point of a search function within a forum is to try and stop multiple post on the same thing.

Or maybe the point of making my own thread was because the threads which are already made on the subject is not how i want my question or thread to be, and hence i´m making my own.

I start feeling this thread is going in the wrong direction and doesn´t fulfill it´s purpose, so i will just consider this thread resolved if there is no way of deleting the thread.

You could have just answered the question, and if you did not want to do that for some reason you didn´t need to answer at all, instead of bringing this thread in the wrong direction.

zx128k

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2018
Thanks for your opinion. I just like the design better on the X with the stainless steel. Also it has the OLED screen and dual rear camera.
But maybe the things which are better on the XR outweighs the better things on the X?
[doublepost=1551779865][/doublepost]

Yes there is a point in asking, otherwise i wouldn´t ask. Thats one of the points with a forum to ask for opinions.

I'd rather the LCD that oled (no pwm) and the dual rear camera isn't very useful imo.

Reactions: BigBen2493

EnglishPsycho

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I purchased an X about 2 months ago, my wife has an XR, she wanted something a little smaller and more comfortable to hold, so we swapped phones a couple of weeks ago.
The reason I wouldn't have gone for an XR in the first place was the lower screen resolution and lack of OLED screen as I watch a lot of films and videos on my phone.
I can say the difference is negligible. Sure there have been a couple of instances where I've noticed it isn't as sharp as I'm used to, but I'm more happy with it overall. The massively better battery life, louder stereo speakers, slightly bigger screen, faster Face ID and better camera more than make up for the screen.

Had I have known all this I would have opted for the XR in the first place.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Other than larger screen and better battery the XR offers nothing over the X that the AVERAGE user will notice.

Providing your not affected by the PWM problems that oled screens of the iPhone can have for some users I’d go with the X.

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
I'd rather the LCD that oled (no pwm) and the dual rear camera isn't very useful imo.

True, i heard there could be problems with OLED´s like burn-in´s, i think i even read something about that happening on the iphone OLED´s? But i don´t know how easily it happens and how big of a problem that actually is?

Other than larger screen and better battery the XR offers nothing over the X that the AVERAGE user will notice.

Providing your not affected by the PWM problems that oled screens of the iPhone can have for some users I’d go with the X.

Oh i wasn´t even aware of that thing, i don´t know if i´m sensitive to that, haven´t tried the iphone OLED phones?

I purchased an X about 2 months ago, my wife has an XR, she wanted something a little smaller and more comfortable to hold, so we swapped phones a couple of weeks ago.
The reason I wouldn't have gone for an XR in the first place was the lower screen resolution and lack of OLED screen as I watch a lot of films and videos on my phone.
I can say the difference is negligible. Sure there have been a couple of instances where I've noticed it isn't as sharp as I'm used to, but I'm more happy with it overall. The massively better battery life, louder stereo speakers, slightly bigger screen, faster Face ID and better camera more than make up for the screen.

Had I have known all this I would have opted for the XR in the first place.

So looking to the specs the iphone XR seems better, but when looking at the design the X looks much better to me.

I like the stainless steel on the X.
And the black that goes around the screen looks much more noticeable on the XR when looking at pictures, but maybe its the same when looking at both in real life? i don´t like that black at all, it would have been nice if the screen was truly all the way out to the edges.

So there is my dilemma, design or specs? Both are important for me. And the price are not a factor in choosing between them since they cost virtually the same here, the X is actually about 50$ more expensive.

EnglishPsycho

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
It sounds like you might be happier going for the X. You get the design you are after and like someone said previously, the specs aren't massively different anyway in real world use.

Reactions: mprime_17

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So i´m thinking of upgrading from my old 6S and 6 Plus to a newer iphone, but don´t want to pay the ridiculous prices the XS costs (1300$ - 1600$ in my European country).

So what is your opinion about iPhone X vs iPhone XR? Which one would you choose and why?

The X seems to be better in some ways but is an older model, while the XR is a newer model but is the cheaper brother of the better XS.

I was leaning a bit towards the iPhone X earlier, but now i really don´t know?

So whats your opinion of which one you would choose, and why?

You should make your choice based on the overall size of the phone, as they both are very similar in capabilities/features. However, they are slightly different in size, so what do you find most comfortable that you specifically have handled?

Also, here is another thread discussing something similar as another poster mentioned above:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-x-or-iphone-xr.2140875/

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the differences. Maybe try to figure out which specific features are most important to you.

Do you love the OLED? X.
Is battery life a major priority? XR.
Do you plan to take a lot of portrait mode or zoomed photos? X.
Is the quality of the wide-angle lens most important to you? XR
Are you unlikely to replace the phone for several years? The XR will buy you an extra year of use (probably)

As mentioned above, there have been other threads on this subject. Take a look at those, too. There may be an observation or comment in one of those threads that sways you one way or the other.

zx128k

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2018
True, i heard there could be problems with OLED´s like burn-in´s, i think i even read something about that happening on the iphone OLED´s? But i don´t know how easily it happens and how big of a problem that actually is?

Oh i wasn´t even aware of that thing, i don´t know if i´m sensitive to that, haven´t tried the iphone OLED phones?

So looking to the specs the iphone XR seems better, but when looking at the design the X looks much better to me.

I like the stainless steel on the X.
And the black that goes around the screen looks much more noticeable on the XR when looking at pictures, but maybe its the same when looking at both in real life? i don´t like that black at all, it would have been nice if the screen was truly all the way out to the edges.

So there is my dilemma, design or specs? Both are important for me. And the price are not a factor in choosing between them since they cost virtually the same here, the X is actually about 50$ more expensive.

what's going to be more useful to you? a better cpu, better battery life, longer os support from apple or the way the stainless steel and black looks around the screen?

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
The iPhone Xʀ is the no brainer. Whoever says the Xʀ only has battery life over the X is truly wrong.

The iPhone Xʀ technically has an extra GB of RAM for “system services”. Since the X only has 3GB and 1GB of the RAM is used to push the telephoto. So the Xʀ has better RAM management on top of the A12. The A12 is not a massive improvement over the A11 at the moment, but down the road it will be. Especially when the Xʀ gets another year of updates compared to the Xʀ.

I have 3 of the 4 “X” models. I have the iPhone X, XS Max and the iPhone Xʀ and I use the Xʀ as my daily driver. The screen size is the perfect in between and the battery life TRUMPS any iPhone EVER released.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

It doesn't matter what I think. I am not going to be using your phone.

If I was going to decide, I'd choose the Xs as I'd always want the best model available.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I have the XS but when the XR came out other than the size of the phone which I would have gotten used to, there was no reason for me to go with the XS, I don't notice the difference in screen resolution though I don't often watch extensive video on my phone either. Don't get me wrong I love my XS, but I would have been as happy with the XR.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
The iPhone Xʀ is the no brainer. Whoever says the Xʀ only has battery life over the X is truly wrong.

The iPhone Xʀ technically has an extra GB of RAM for “system services”. Since the X only has 3GB and 1GB of the RAM is used to push the telephoto. So the Xʀ has better RAM management on top of the A12. The A12 is not a massive improvement over the A11 at the moment, but down the road it will be. Especially when the Xʀ gets another year of updates compared to the Xʀ.

I have 3 of the 4 “X” models. I have the iPhone X, XS Max and the iPhone Xʀ and I use the Xʀ as my daily driver. The screen size is the perfect in between and the battery life TRUMPS any iPhone EVER released.

Can you explain to me how the XR has more ram than the X please? Genuinely interested.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have the XR, after originally buying XS Max. I just couldn’t handle the OLED (ymmv). However, I’m glad I have the XR. It’s a great phone. I love the size (I DID have plus size phones before, so that’s something to consider). The battery life is fantastic. The camera is awesome. The connectivity is great (my daughter has the XS, and has a lot of problems with connectivity where mine has none).

The XR MIGHT be my favorite iPhone I’ve ever had.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

Xr and X “technically” have 3gb of ram, maybe you can enlighten us with some credible sources to support your claim that the X only uses 2gb of ram because 1gb is tied up by the telephoto lense

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.