Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
So I thought I would bring this further to a head for those that still own an iPhone X, and for future reference as per the iPhone XS and XS Max. There have been rather early reports of screen burn in on the OLED displays. Here is a link below for those that’s would like to take a look.

I’m simply pointing it out for those that may want to take a read and check their displays. I upgraded to the iPhone XR to avoid burn in as it’s certainly not something I’d want on my expensive Apple device, or any device for that matter. Have a lovely day everyone!

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...932h4r/any_iphone_x_users_experience_burn_in/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Caesars

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
My almost year old iPhone X display looks as pristine as the day I bought it. The XR looks like a great iPhone as well, but personally the X is already stretching my limit on max iPhone size. Besides, I’d rather have dual camera lenses so I’d definitely get the XS over XR. My wife needs to replace her iPhone 6 and I’m recommending she check out the XR since she doesn’t care about dual camera and wants the less expensive option. She might decide the XR is too big though. She thinks my X is too big as it is.

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
My almost year old iPhone X display looks as pristine as the day I bought it. The XR looks like a great iPhone as well, but personally the X is already stretching my limit on max iPhone size. Besides, I’d rather have dual camera lenses so I’d definitely get the XS over XR. My wife needs to replace her iPhone 6 and I’m recommending she check out the XR since she doesn’t care about dual camera and wants the less expensive option. She might decide the XR is too big though. She thinks my X is too big as it is.

I’m glad your iPhone X OLED is still perfect!

Reactions: sean000

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
You bought the Xr because of non existent burn-in? I mean, Apple says it is possible as they mention it, but with al out zero reports of it here, its a non issue. I know you will feel worse about it now.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I thought I would bring this further to a head for those that still own an iPhone X, and for future reference as per the iPhone XS and XS Max. There have been rather early reports of screen burn in on the OLED displays.

As someone as myself who frequents the iPhone forum on a regular basis, I can honestly say I never encountered another member that has suffered any type of image retention with their iPhone X display, let alone the XS. I’m not saying it’s not possible, but OLED has matured enough to the point where it’s not really that much of a concern anymore as it was in the years past.

OP, keep in mind, if the display is at full brightness, then there is a greater potential for image retention to occur.

Also, if you’re not aware, Apple uses Samsung’s OLED panels, which are some of the _best_ in the tech industry, The only iPhone X models I have observed with image retention, has been display models in retail stores that consecutively operate 14 hours a day/7 days a week.

Lastly, I read the article that you linked from Reddit and almost 99% of the comments were stating that _no one_ suffered image retention whatsoever with their iPhone X, accept for the member that actually started the thread. I’m Not trying to prove you wrong, I’m also trying to be a realist By showing you that I read exactly what you posted for the Reddit link and all the other comments that were inferring otherwise that they did not have hardly any issues with their iPhone X display.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
No burn in with my X that just hit its year birthday - display still looks great. I don't even think I've noticed it on display phones either.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
Had my X since launch (until I got my XS Max). After nearly a year of heavy use, zero burn in.

It’s a non-issue.

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
You bought the Xr because of non existent burn-in? I mean, Apple says it is possible as they mention it, but with al out zero reports of it here, its a non issue. I know you will feel worse about it now.
Lol, I don’t feel worse about anything. It is what it is. I made the choice to purchase what I did and I’m happy with that choice. Screen burn in isn’t the only reason I decided to purchase my iPhone XR, there are other reasons amongst that.
[doublepost=1541316454][/doublepost]
As someone as myself who frequents the iPhone forum on a regular basis, I can honestly say I never encountered another member that has suffered any type of image retention with their iPhone X display, let alone the XS. I’m not saying it’s not possible, but OLED has matured enough to the point where it’s not really that much of a concern anymore as it was in the years past.

OP, keep in mind, if the display is at full brightness, then there is a greater potential for image retention to occur.

Also, if you’re not aware, Apple uses Samsung’s OLED panels, which are some of the _best_ in the tech industry, The only iPhone X models I have observed with image retention, has been display models in retail stores that consecutively operate 14 hours a day/7 days a week.

Lastly, I read the article that you linked from Reddit and almost 99% of the comments were stating that _no one_ suffered image retention whatsoever with their iPhone X, accept for the member that actually started the thread. I’m Not trying to prove you wrong, I’m also trying to be a realist By showing you that I read exactly what you posted for the Reddit link and all the other comments that were inferring otherwise that they did not have hardly any issues with their iPhone X display.

Quite a few people on that thread had experienced burn in, so perhaps we were reading different articles? I guess for me I don’t want to have to be “mindful” of how I use my device with how bright the screen is or how long a static image is on that’s screen and how frequently those static images are on the screen. I’m glad that you and others haven’t yet experienced burn in but I’ve not ever trusted OLED tech and that’s simply how I feel about it, if others feel differently that’s ok. It’s not about trying to prove someone else wrong, it’s about what I read, what I saw and what I don’t want to experience myself. So I decided to make a choice to stick to tech that is tried and true until burn in is literally not a thing. =)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Quite a few people on that thread had experienced burn in, so perhaps we were reading different articles?

You linked one article, I read that article and the comments incorporated into it, and the majority of them stated they did _not_ suffer image retention. But regardless, is that really the point? That’s one article compared to the *millions* of iPhones Apple manufactures that the majority will never suffer any type of image retention. For Whatever reason, you’re trying to emphasize ‘Burn-in’ as some potential major issue, when it’s not. Again, I’m not saying it’s not possible, but it’s more of a rarity then anything else.

Partly Apple chose OLED displays, because they have matured over the years, and Samsung manufactures top-of-the-line panels. Again, it really is a non-issue compared to those who will not suffer any type of image attention compared to those who will.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Believe or not I’ve noticed this happening on my iPhone X which I’ve had since launch day. You can only very very faintly see the home bar when you open up multitasking.

When I took it to Apple last week to swap the battery I mentioned this to them. The genius took it to do some screen colour tests but said no issues were found.

His words were that’s he thinks it’s some kind of software bug as it can only be seen in this particular circumstance. He seemed like he was just guessing though tbh.

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
Believe or not I’ve noticed this happening on my iPhone X which I’ve had since launch day. You can only very very faintly see the home bar when you open up multitasking.

When I took it to Apple last week to swap the battery I mentioned this to them. The genius took it to do some screen colour tests but said no issues were found.

His words were that’s he thinks it’s some kind of software bug as it can only be seen in this particular circumstance. He seemed like he was just guessing though tbh.

I’m sorry that you’re having this issue, I hope Apple can get it sorted for you soon!
[doublepost=1541320476][/doublepost]
You linked one article, I read that article and the comments incorporated into it, and the majority of them stated they did _not_ suffer image retention. But regardless, is that really the point? That’s one article compared to the *millions* of iPhones Apple manufactures that the majority will never suffer any type of image retention. For Whatever reason, you’re trying to emphasize ‘Burn-in’ as some potential major issue, when it’s not. Again, I’m not saying it’s not possible, but it’s more of a rarity then anything else.

Partly Apple chose OLED displays, because they have matured over the years, and Samsung manufactures top-of-the-line panels. Again, it really is a non-issue compared to those who will not suffer any type of image attention compared to those who will.

Read my original post, I’m not saying that every single person that has an iPhone X, XS or XS Max is going to have this issue or is having this issue. Again, I’m further putting this out there to learn, educate myself amd get a better understanding as to why this is happening and to how many it’s potentially happening to. Why’s do people need to twist things or blow things out of proportion. I agree that OLED has gotten better yes, but I don’t trust it in terms of longetivity hence why I made the choose I made personally. Not to say that anyone else’s choice is bad, it’s not. Each to their own I say and if you like OLED then great, if you like LCD then that’s great too. I think people have taken this waaaaay out of context which seems to happen on these threads consistently.

I will say though, had burn in occur for any user under any circumstance, I would consider it major issue given the phone is all screen and the display is for the most part the whole experience in any mobile device.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Read my original post, I’m not saying that every single person that has an iPhone X, XS or XS Max is going to have this issue or is having this issue.

Anyone reading this thread already knows that not everybody will experience burn-in, we gather that already. But you linked one thread that you googled about someone experiencing some potential burn-in from Reddit and you’re making it sound like that it’s something that should be ‘known’, when in fact, it’s not an issue. For Whatever reason, it’s like you’re trying to interject your own satisfaction purchasing the XR to make burn-in like its some new defect, when its not.

Why’s do people need to twist things or blow things out of proportion

I guess I could ask you the same question, but no-one in this thread has taken anything out of context or ‘Blown’ anything out of proportion with their replies to you. I simply read the link that you provided, which I don’t think you read through yourself, because if you had, then you would also read comments where it others said they had _no_ issues with their iPhone X dispays, Being that burn-in really is not a significant issue as you’re portraying, and I think other members will attest to this based off what I’m saying.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
But those big bands around the screen on the Xr, it’s like a mini iPad but with a notch.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’m doing exactly that. I’m just curious to know how wide spread this is and if many other iPhone X users are experiencing the same thing. =) These forums are built to connect, share and help one another. =)

I’m sorry that you feel it is silly and unnecessary =)
It happens on every X and that’s why the Xr is the better device. It’s not just as good as the XS/Max it’s better.

Reactions: RMP28

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
Anyone reading this thread already knows that not everybody will experience burn-in, we gather that already. But you linked one thread that you googled about someone experiencing some potential burn-in from Reddit and you’re making it sound like that it’s something that should be ‘known’, when in fact, it’s not an issue. For Whatever reason, it’s like you’re trying to interject your own satisfaction purchasing the XR to make burn-in like its some new defect, when its not.

I guess I could ask you the same question, but no-one in this thread has taken anything out of context or ‘Blown’ anything out of proportion with their replies to you. I simply read the link that you provided, which I don’t think you read through yourself, because if you had, then you would also read comments where it others said they had _no_ issues with their iPhone X dispays, Being that burn-in really is not a significant issue as you’re portraying, and I think other members will attest to this based off what I’m saying.
Yet here you are defending the fact that burn in is enevitable on OLED panels. Interesting.

I know the angle I’m which I was coming from and that was to simply learn and gather others experiences to expand of on that of what I found on the reddit thread and something I found interesting. I read through quite a lot of that thread and saw several “me too’s” hence why I decided to come here and put the feelers out, but apparently you know me better than I know me and apparently you know my intentions better than I know my own intentions.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Another thread about Oled burn in, which in reality is not even an issue these days. I have abused my last 3 phones which all have had oled displays and none of them suffered from any burn in whatever. The same can't be said for my 2012 imac with an LCD panel which suffers from terrible image retention. ;)

Reactions: SBruv

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I’m doing exactly that. I’m just curious to know how wide spread this is and if many other iPhone X users are experiencing the same thing. =) These forums are built to connect, share and help one another. =)

IF burn in was prevalent, this forum would be reporting it wildly! Does not seem to be an issue.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018

No sign of it on my 1 year old X. I've used quite a few phones with OLED screens and it's not been an issue for the most part.

I had two phones where I did experience it but they were from many years ago where the issue was widespread to the particular panels and were replaced under warranty. It doesn't make me worry at all to purchase another phone with OLED.

Image retention and burn in is inherent to the technology but it's been in use in phones for about 10 years. You'll find cases for flaws for anything. It's just not a widespread issue.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I have an XR myself but I just looked at my wife's 9 month old X and I don't see any sign of burn-in or image retention. Keep in mind she's a light user and hardly ever has her brightness to 100%.

This is probably a little off topic, but I've seen tons of posts online from Note 8 and Galaxy S8 users who have seen severe IR and/or BI on their OLED displays. That makes me wonder if Apple has implemented some kind of software tweak to prevent/reduce IR/IB in iOS. I know on my plasma TV, which is susceptible to IR/IB, Panasonic had pixel-shift enabled in the TV's firmware to minimize IR, so that pixels around static bright images would degrade at a more moderate rate to remove the bright edge of IR/BI, making them less noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.