Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rphillipss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Australia
I've seen lots of people complaining about their iPhone X display scratching quite easily. Interested to hear people's experience.

Personally:
Had my 6S plus for 2 years (naked), with scuffs around the edges and rear, but front glass in pretty good condition, only 1 or 2 minor scratches.
iPhone X is nearly 2 months old (after getting a replacement for an issue), and has dozens of scratches on the front glass, some of which quite visible when display brightness is low or ambient light is high. Back glass also scratches quite a bit, to be expected I suppose. The only upside is the stainless steel rim is in perfect condition.

TLDR; do people think their iPhone X glass scratches ridiculously easily?
I look after mine very carefully, and it has performed poorly compared to previous models. Grounds for replacement, as it is affecting display quality?? We shouldnt need to use a screen protector to stop the display being damage if we look after the device, surely...

Reactions: pphheerroonn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There has been a lot discussion with the iPhone X display scratching relatively easily and others who have contributed into threads about the problem. What some don’t realize though, is it may not be the display scratching, but the oleophobic coating itself. I personally think Apple changed something with the oleophobic coating process. I can attest my iPhone does not have any scratches on the display that I can visibly see. But nor do I take a flashlight and look at every single angle of my display to see minuscule scratches that mean nothing to me.

My thoughts are, I use my iPhone every day and it’s a tool, and I’m not going to worry about every scratch . However, if somebody was concerned, obviously there is the option with screen protectors, but there is very little you can do to stop the display from scratching because of how we use our displays every day. I think iPhone displays are fairly durable for what they are.

Similar thread(s):

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/silver-iphone-x-scratches-who-else.2087649/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ll-over-screen-of-brand-new-iphone-x.2083960/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/preventing-scratches-on-new-iphone-x.2093168/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-x-get-scratched-extremely-fast-even-with-a-case.2086602/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ket-will-screen-have-micro-scratches.2085840/

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I don’t think any phone should go without a screen protector. Seems like it’s only a matter of time for a scratch.

X scratch test looks like it’s decent

X ...drop test. Not bad.

Reactions: saltd

joemc72

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
I don't mind a minor scuff or scratch on the screen (it is a tool, like you mentioned), but mine has a visible chip taken out of the screen after only two weeks' use that I can feel with a fingernail. Prior to this on all my other iPhones I've never used a screen protector and have never seen a screen scratch as easy as this one.

What some don’t realize though, is it may not be the display scratching, but the oleophobic coating itself.

My thoughts are, I use my iPhone every day and it’s a tool, and I’m not going to worry about every scratch . However, if somebody was concerned, obviously there is the option with screen protectors, but there is very little you can do to stop the display from scratching because of how we use our displays every day. I think iPhone displays are fairly durable for what they are.

Similar thread(s):

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/silver-iphone-x-scratches-who-else.2087649/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ll-over-screen-of-brand-new-iphone-x.2083960/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/preventing-scratches-on-new-iphone-x.2093168/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-x-get-scratched-extremely-fast-even-with-a-case.2086602/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ket-will-screen-have-micro-scratches.2085840/

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The oleophobic coating on all devices is easily scratched. I’m not talking about deep scratches, I’m talking about micro-scratches that can only be seen when viewing under bright light and certain angles. They are almost unavoidable and if they are an issue, a tempered glass screen protector is your only option. As @Relentless Power stated, I don’t bother looking for scratches that are only noticeable under extreme scrutiny

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I've had my X since launch and there are no scratches on my screen. I have micro scratches on the stainless steel rim that is exposed (in Apple case) that can only be seen in bright light at an angle. I have never used screen protectors but I am careful with my phone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've had my X since launch and there are no scratches on my screen. I have micro scratches on the stainless steel rim that is exposed (in Apple case) that can only be seen in bright light at an angle. I have never used screen protectors but I am careful with my phone.

One advantage with the stainless steel bands, is it can easily be removed with scratches with a polishing cloth. But after a while, you just get used to the scratches on the bands and you easily can overlook them.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
If your screen scratches very easily, then it is defective. One of my older iPhones was like that. It had a million scratches in no time, while all of my other iPhones have been fine after years of use. But good luck getting it replaced... They will most likely say that scratches are not covered under warranty and that they are your fault.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Unless you have a space grey version.

Right, that member mentioned specifically they had scratches That you could see, which can be removed with a polishing cloth. The space gray has a PVD coating, which would prohibit the use of a polishing cloth and are more ‘hidden’ because of the color.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandonjr36

1stalban

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
I had to exchange my X this week since it had three gouges that had shown up on the screen. I work in an office and ridiculously baby all of my phones, so I was surprised by this development especially since I had the phone for about 9 days. It looked almost like I had put my phone in a pocket with keys or something for an extended period and it proceeded to knock out pieces of the screen.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I had to exchange my X this week since it had three gouges that had shown up on the screen. I work in an office and ridiculously baby all of my phones, so I was surprised by this development especially since I had the phone for about 9 days. It looked almost like I had put my phone in a pocket with keys or something for an extended period and it proceeded to knock out pieces of the screen.

I recently got my X exchanged due to power issues and the one I’ve got has suffered some pretty big marks on the screen which look like it’s been in my pocket with keys (never happens). Really strange as I’ve never had a phone screen suffer this sort of damage as I’m very careful with them.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
People need to remember (or learn) that with shatter resistance, you lose scratch resistance. Since phones are taken everywhere and likely to be dropped at one time or another, Apple focuses on shatter resistance as a screen being shattered is much more labor and cost intensive than one being scratched.

With the Apple Watch, they gave you a choice. The glass on the Sport is much more shatter resistant than the Sapphire on the SS model but you'll likely never scratch that sapphire screen.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I recently got my X exchanged due to power issues and the one I’ve got has suffered some pretty big marks on the screen which look like it’s been in my pocket with keys (never happens). Really strange as I’ve never had a phone screen suffer this sort of damage as I’m very careful with them.

Sounds like the oleophobic coating is scratched. It’s usually minor, hairline like scratches that can be caused by particles/debris in your pocket that caused it.

Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Sounds like the oleophobic coating is scratched. It’s usually minor, hairline like scratches that can be caused by particles/debris in your pocket that caused it.

Yes, sounds right, but I'm anal about ever having anything in a pocket with my phone. Is there any way to repair scratches & marks to the oleophobic coating?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes, sounds right, but I'm anal about ever having anything in a pocket with my phone. Is there any way to repair scratches & marks to the oleophobic coating?

Not that I’m aware of to remove the scratches. The oleophobic coating is naturally organic, so it does wear off over the course of time from using and touching the iPhone display, so the scratches assuming that they are minor, will fade and only be variable under certain lighting. Ultimately, if you want to hide any minuscule scratches, you can use a screen protector as well.

joemc72

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
This was my experience exactly.

Reactions: Dwalls90

sinatik

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2016
Virginia
Have to agree that the screen scratches more easily.
My first iphone was the 4s which I kept until the 6. No scratches at all.
Upgraded the 6 to a 7plus, again, no scratches.
When I upgraded my 7plus to a X in February, it was perfect, no scratches.
Since February, my X with the same usage (with apple leather case as all the other ones) I notice 2 small scratches on the upper left of my screen.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Have to agree that the screen scratches more easily.
My first iphone was the 4s which I kept until the 6. No scratches at all.
Upgraded the 6 to a 7plus, again, no scratches.
When I upgraded my 7plus to a X in February, it was perfect, no scratches.
Since February, my X with the same usage (with apple leather case as all the other ones) I notice 2 small scratches on the upper left of my screen.

There Definitely is a trend with the iPhone X display scratching relatively easy over the other iPhone displays in the past. I think Apple changed something with their oleophobic coating process, which is a naturally organic compound that protects the iPhone display when it comes New from the factory, but it eventually wears off with usage.

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Used mine naked since November, yeah it has some light marks, some oleophobic scratches, I don’t baby it, ain’t got time to be worrying about things like that.

I really don’t understand all this pampering some folk are doing to an electrical device.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Every year there are the same threads, every year there are people getting scratches on their screen, and every year they go on to say that Apple must have done something differently with the screen to make it more susceptible to scratches.

A quick google shows the same thing for the 7, 6s etc.

The screen on the X is no more prone to scratches than the 8, 7 etc, with a hardness of between 5 & 7 on the MOHs scale it will pick up scratches easily. What’s more likely is the oleophobic coating is marked because it’s not scratch proof at all. Unless the move to sapphire screens is adopted these threads will continue year in year out. However, even then people would still blame Apple when the coating on the sapphire scratched.

Just because you have managed to keep a blemish free phone before doesn’t mean ****. You’ve been fortunate.

It’s not Apples fault you scratched your screen, it’s yours!

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Every year there are the same threads, every year there are people getting scratches on their screen, and every year they go on to say that Apple must have done something differently with the screen to make it more susceptible to scratches.

A quick google shows the same thing for the 7, 6s etc.

The screen on the X is no more prone to scratches than the 8, 7 etc, with a hardness of between 5 & 7 on the MOHs scale it will pick up scratches easily. What’s more likely is the oleophobic coating is marked because it’s not scratch proof at all. Unless the move to sapphire screens is adopted these threads will continue year in year out. However, even then people would still blame Apple when the coating on the sapphire scratched.

Just because you have managed to keep a blemish free phone before doesn’t mean ****. You’ve been fortunate.

It’s not Apples fault you scratched your screen, it’s yours!

There is a Clear difference though between a display scratching and the oleophobic coating. The display scratching can be a result of one thing, but the minuscule hairline scratches can easily be due to the oleophobic coating. Not entirely impossible Apple didn’t change something with the oleophobic coating process, Which is naturally organic and will eventually wear off with usage. Regardless, if somebody was concerned about the display, then I would suggest a screen protector. I personally don’t have any issues with my display scratching, but I can’t speak for everybody’s experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.