Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
There is a Clear difference though between a display scratching and the oleophobic coating. The display scratching can be a result of one thing, but the minuscule hairline scratches can easily be due to the oleophobic coating. Not entirely impossible Apple didn’t change something with the oleophobic coating process, Which is naturally organic and will eventually wear off with usage. Regardless, if somebody was concerned about the display, then I would suggest a screen protector. I personally don’t have any issues with my display scratching, but I can’t speak for everybody’s experience.

It is indeed entirely possible the oleophobic application process has changed I just think it’s unlikely. Like I said, you get exactly the same claims every iPhone release.

I’m not a fan of screen protectors either nor am I bothered about the odd scratch here or there on my screen. Over the years some of my phones have faired better than others, I look after them I just don’t treat them like they are antiques.

sinatik

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2016
Virginia
Like I said, I've had iphones since the 4s, and never had any scratches before.
Now 2 months in with iphone x, i have 2 tiny scratches on the screen.
Like a poster above stated, I take care of it, but don't treat it like a valued antique, just use it everyday, same as I have with every iphone I have had.
Seems strange that after 2 months I have scratches, when after 7 years of use, no scratches, suddenly I have some.
And I don't obsess over it, and as I hate screen protectors I will live with it.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Like a poster above stated, I take care of it, but don't treat it like a valued antique, just use it everyday, same as I have with every iphone I have had.
Seems strange that after 2 months I have scratches, when after 7 years of use, no scratches, suddenly I have some.
And I don't obsess over it, and as I hate screen protectors I will live with it.

Good post. I agree it’s just a phone and scratches are inconvenient when you’re staring at display continuously. But at least you have the attitude of you can just live with it versus complain about it. I also don’t use screen protectors, I just don’t like the texture and I just use the phone in it’s entirety.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland

Whilst I understand why scratches on your X might be annoying given that you say you haven’t had any on previous phones in 7 years, it still doesn’t mean the iPhone X screen is inferior to previous models.

It’s like driving for 7 years and never having a crash and then in the 8th year you run up the back of someone. You crashed in to someone else, that doesn’t make the car manufacturer the bad one.

Or you buy a new coffee mug every year. You treat it the same as you always have but one year it gets knocked off the table where it always sits and it breaks. You get my drift?

Sometimes our luck just runs out.

Hell, I drive like I always drive and haven’t had a speeding ticket in over 11 years, just last week I got one. I haven’t changed my driving style. That’s life.

sinatik

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2016
Virginia
Whilst I understand why scratches on your X might be annoying given that you say you haven’t had any on previous phones in 7 years, it still doesn’t mean the iPhone X screen is inferior to previous models.

It’s like driving for 7 years and never having a crash and then in the 8th year you run up the back of someone. You crashed in to someone else, that doesn’t make the car manufacturer the bad one.

Or you buy a new coffee mug every year. You treat it the same as you always have but one year it gets knocked off the table where it always sits and it breaks. You get my drift?

Sometimes our luck just runs out.

Hell, I drive like I always drive and haven’t had a speeding ticket in over 11 years, just last week I got one. I haven’t changed my driving style. That’s life.

This is apples to oranges. I have a 4s I got at launch, a 6 from launch, and a 7+ from launch sitting on the desk before me.
None have scratches.
I have a iphone X, that I got at the end of January that has multiple scratches on the screen.
I haven't changed my usage of these devices, dropped any of them or treated them any differently.
In 2 months the iphone x has been scratched, where as in 7 years, the others haven't been.
I'm not going to cry about it because the scratches are barely noticeable, I only saw them when I was cleaning the screen in a bright light.
But there is definitely a difference.

Boostedhatch

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2018
I purchased the jet black iPhone 7 thinking it would be good with scratches !! WRONGO. Jet black iPhone 7 has to be the worst phone for scratches

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I purchased the jet black iPhone 7 thinking it would be good with scratches !! WRONGO. Jet black iPhone 7 has to be the worst phone for scratches

Really any iPhone display is subject to scratches, but when you have a new iPhone, you’re not necessarily scratching display, you’re scratching the oleophobic coating.

Boostedhatch

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2018
Really any iPhone display is subject to scratches, but when you have a new iPhone, you’re not necessarily scratching display, you’re scratching the oleophobic coating.

It’s the entire back. I know it looks minuscule but it’s very obvious in real life. It happened fast. Is there a way to buff the jet black iPhone 7 ? That would be cool

Attachments

• 155DA77F-465B-4275-9997-54D70581BA88.jpeg
    155DA77F-465B-4275-9997-54D70581BA88.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 336

1stalban

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Just to be clear about my issue:
Mine was not a “scratch”, there were actual chunks in my screen. About three or four and I found this to be unacceptable with little more than two weeks of normal use.
The Apple store agreed and replaced mine saying that it may have been a “one-off” coating flaw for that specific phone. So far, my replacement has been just fine.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
The oleophobic coating on all devices is easily scratched. I’m not talking about deep scratches, I’m talking about micro-scratches that can only be seen when viewing under bright light and certain angles. They are almost unavoidable and if they are an issue, a tempered glass screen protector is your only option. As @Relentless Power stated, I don’t bother looking for scratches that are only noticeable under extreme scrutiny
It used to bother me but idc. I’ve used Android devices iPhones and etc and gorilla glass and whatever Apple uses it happens to them all but ironically my beat up smartwatch is free of it now. It’s only the coating which I don’t care.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.

Gloss black on anything will show every little imperfection. Which is why on a car if you want to pant it gloss black your bodywork better be perfect.

As for the iPhone X how many of you are using a wallet style case vs a open case?

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
What some don’t realize though, is it may not be the display scratching, but the oleophobic coating itself

You may not realize is that the top coating is part of the display. When the top coating gets scratched, the display doesn't look good. People don't care which layer of the display is damaged.

Being technically correct isn't helpful. Just acknowledge it scratches easily and the best way to avoid them is to use a screen protector.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You may not realize is that the top coating is part of the display.

Why the assumption? You could simply ask. However, I have iterated many times the oleophobic coating is organic and dissipates over time with usage.

When the top coating gets scratched, the display doesn't look good.

Any part of the display that is scratched doesn’t look good. Thats the Really not the point, though.

Being technically correct isn't helpful.

This is patently false and overly dismissive. Being its a _tech_ site, everyone has a different level of understanding, some have more than others. Education and informing explains why things occur the way they do *is* helpful, even if it doesn’t correct the issue with a scratched display. Not sure why you would post something frivolous when its all relevant discussion.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Carried every iPhone naked since the 3G. The X is by far the worst when it comes to small scratches. They’re all over mine, my wife’s, and my brothers. very noticeable in sunlight. Sucks, hope next iPhone is better.

pphheerroonn

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Completely agree. I've used my past 7 iPhones with no case. Have never had any major scratching after about a year of use in each. My iPhone X has a lot of scratches, front and back. More than any of the others and after only 2 months. Some are actually quite deep. I would question Apples claim of "the most durable glass ever" in an iPhone.
I believe this is the first iPhone that doesn't use Gorilla Glass?

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004

Apple has never claimed that their phones use Gorilla Glass. I've never understood where people get "this phone uses GG", or "this phone doesn't use GG".

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Completely agree. I've used my past 7 iPhones with no case. Have never had any major scratching after about a year of use in each. My iPhone X has a lot of scratches, front and back. More than any of the others and after only 2 months. Some are actually quite deep. I would question Apples claim of "the most durable glass ever" in an iPhone.

I also question why have experienced some of the *Deep* scratches that you have encountered. They just don’t appear randomly, you somehow managed to do that yourself. Various particles in your pocket can Be abrasive and cause more damage then you think.

Grimham

Suspended
Jul 2, 2018
Apple has never claimed that their phones use Gorilla Glass. I've never understood where people get "this phone uses GG", or "this phone doesn't use GG".

Apple never claims they use any one elses products on their products. But it is GG. And it scratches exactly the same # as Gorilla Glass on current other flagship phones. Remember, Apple doesn't make glass. Only one manufacture does Corning. Oh and Apple did once claim they used Gorilla Glass from Corning.

"Since the original iPhone was the debut of Corning’s Gorilla Glass, it seemed fitting that the iPhone X claimed a new level of performance (I won’t call it a breakthrough) in cover glass. Apple announced that both its iPhone 8 and 8 Plus products and the iPhone X will have a new generation of cover glass on both the front and back of the phone."

https://www.displaysupplychain.com/blog/what-we-know-about-the-iphonex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.