Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XXEL619

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
I am so disappointed in this phone. My 7 plus was able to take underwater pictures and deal with water damage. 3 days in to our honeymoon, my phone got wet. After getting splashed with water, the phone was glitchy, so I restarted the phone. The phone was stuck in this loop where only the apple logo would appear. Apple recommended going into recovery mode and restoring it. I attempted to restore is at least 8 or 9 times, and receive the same error message 4013 each time. I thought the phone was water resistant? I feel like this phone was a scam, and the Samsung commercials mocking Apple are correct.

XXEL619

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
They may have a degree of water proofing but there not designed to be used underwater like you describe.

I guess you didn't read the post before, I know that it is water resistant.

Last edited by a moderator:

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
It's possible you got a device with a bad seal around the screen. Apple uses a specific type of gel and rubber type stopper around the screen itself so liquid cannot gain access to the battery compartment or other vital pieces of hardware. Overtime those things can wear out, which is probably they they claim water resistant over waterproof. As you said. If I were you, I'd take the device back to Apple or call customer service asking for a replacement. Maybe mention the error number again and how the device is basically new. I can't see them saying no, just get the right person on the phone or ask for a supervisor at the stores. With an odd error like that, they'll want to look further into it.

Also that error can occur if water got into the lightning port and somehow went further into the hardware. Did you try plugging the phone into a different port on your computer to restore, or use a different cable? Sometimes that helps for that particular error. But then again, water... it could have took out the wifi/cell chip and that will bonk a restore every time unfortunately. I'd make sure the lightning port was dry and try again with a different usb port and cable.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The iPhone is rated and marketed for splash water resistance. That means water falls on it by accident, like rain or the likes. It is not waterproof and it is most definetly not meant to be used to take underwater pictures.

Also, water damage is not covered by the iPhone’s warranty. So you’ll be paying out of pocket expenses.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Pull the SIM card try and use a flashlight to look in the hole, see if it’s pink. If it’s not take it into an Apple store and tell them it’s messing up. And if they give you a new one. And you plan to be around water most of the time. Get a lifeproof fre.

Reactions: vista.john

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Also, water damage is not covered by the iPhone’s warranty. So you’ll be paying out of pocket expenses.
True, except if there are no signs of the indicators being tripped and you're seeing an error on recovery, Apple can and in most cases will replace the device because they want to inspect what is happening further. It all depends on who you talk to when you file a claim.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
He said it got splashed. Why are you people giving him a hard time? There is a clear difference in his post, in which he states that the NEW phone was splashed (the old one went under water).

OP, looking into the sim slot is a good idea. If the indicator is white (or white with red stripes, which I have seen), then you are good to go. If it is pink, you might have a problem, as the genius bar people will look in there for a pink indicator.

Either way, I would just say that it started messing up. If the phone's indicator isn't pink, you should be okay. They will just replace the device, if they can't get it to boot correctly.

If the indicate is pink, I would still take the same approach. If they say something about that, and they most likely will, just be honest. State that is was splashed, but not submerged, and that you feel like the phone should withstand that. Hopefully, if you get the right person, you won't have to argue your point.

Good luck.

Reactions: Brandonjr36

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Just take it in. The phone should be able to resist much more than that. Heck I’ve taken mine in and underwater in Hamelin Bay to try and photograph the Sting Ray as they were near the shore....Then rinsed off the salty water underneath the beach showers. All was well...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Straight from Apple:https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/

iPhone X is splash, water, and dust resistant and was tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

While I understand what people are saying about IP67 rating, Apple advertises the phone as splash resistant. I know accidents happen, and I feel bad for the OP, and I'm not looking to rail against him, but sadly when a phone goes under the water, you're taking a big gamble.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Straight from Apple:https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/

While I understand what people are saying about IP67 rating, Apple advertises the phone as splash resistant. I know accidents happen, and I feel bad for the OP, and I'm not looking to rail against him, but sadly when a phone goes under the water, you're taking a big gamble.

Right...but it just got splashed. It didn't go under water, his OLD phone did.

If you phone stops working in the rain, or from spilling your beer on it, you would be upset. Same situation here, it appears.

The Apple watch 3 is water "resistant", but it is advertised as a swimming watch, and is shown being used in the sea/pool in the various commercials.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Right...but it just got splashed. It didn't go under water, his OLD phone did.
I'm not disputing that, its just that apple says splash resistant, not splash proof and they then also have the verbiage that water damage is not going to be covered.

Perhaps the OP can reach out to Apple and they'll still honor the warranty

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Isn't that essentially the type of thing that is mentioned in the OP?

No, OP said he used it to take pictures underwater, same as his 7 Plus. iPhone's are not meant for that usage.
[doublepost=1514902760][/doublepost]
Perhaps the OP can reach out to Apple and they'll still honor the warranty

Unlikely. From near personal experience they don't cover water damage.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I'm going to go out on a limb and make a WAG. His old iP7 survived underwater photography. He pays $1K+ for a new X with much better cameras, gets married and goes on a honeymoon and his new newer, better rated X gets "splashed". Add to that this he has only made three posts since he joined, yesterday.
My WAG? He has done his research and hopes he can garner support for his X that he "splashed" underwater trying to take pictures. He got lucky on his 7, not so much on his new X.
[doublepost=1514903031][/doublepost]
No, OP said he used it to take pictures underwater, same as his 7 Plus. iPhone's are not meant for that usage.
No, he said he "splashed" his new X, he never said he used it for underwater photos. He did say that for his 7+ he used it for underwater photography.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I'm going to go out on a limb and make a WAG. His old iP7 survived underwater photography. He pays $1K+ for a new X with much better cameras, gets married and goes on a honeymoon and his new newer, better rated X gets "splashed". Add to that this he has only made three posts since he joined, yesterday.
My WAG? He has done his research and hopes he can garner support for his X that he "splashed" underwater trying to take pictures. He got lucky on his 7, not so much on his new X.
[doublepost=1514903031][/doublepost]
No, he said he "splashed" his new X, he never said he used it for underwater photos. He did say that for his 7+ he used it for underwater photography.
What are you suggesting? The OP engaged in a bit of water sports on his honeymoon ;) You dirty old fox :p

Reactions: Martyimac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.