Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you see red when playing this HDR video on Vimeo?

• Total voters

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Do you see red at the end of this HDR video on Vimeo?

iPhone 7 Plus and XR can’t.
iPhone 8 Plus and XS Max can.

This is what it looks like on my iPhone XR.

https://twitter.com/iphone10r/status/1067890918693511168

Update: I didn’t see red in the “make available offline” version on the app. I see red now after removing the offline version and restarting the app.

Last edited:

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Apple hasn’t advertised the XR/8+ as comptabile with full HDR like the X/XS. Just that they support it, and it’ll be a small improvement. My guess is the Xr still does this but lags behind a bit in some colors compared to the 8, still capable so still advertised, but the shortcomings get swept under the rug.

Last edited:

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
More of a very faded red like your Twitter image. My iPad Pro which has "HDR Support" is the same.

Can any iPhone X/XS owners comment?
[doublepost=1543508951][/doublepost]I have to add, it's still a beautiful video on my XR.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Viewing this video on Safari (via MacRumors forum) on my iPhone XS Max I did not notice the red. switching over to the Vimeo App the red was shown.

Reactions: Ralfi and dona83

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Wow, watched in Vimeo app too and saw the red in my XR. Interesting. But I can't find the option to stretch the video to fit the width. The colours seem to really pop as well.

Reactions: iphone5att64

agente46

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Viewing this video on Safari (via MacRumors forum) on my iPhone XS Max I did not notice the red. switching over to the Vimeo App the red was shown.

100% confirmed on my XR with the Vimeo app you can see the red. Watching the video from the browser, no red.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
HDR is so hyped up yet so unimportant. Even on flatscreen TV's. It's more marketing than reality. Either the panel you are using produces good blacks or it doesn't. HDR, Dolby Vision, my goodness most of it is just hype and stat sheet bs.

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
More of a very faded red like your Twitter image. My iPad Pro which has "HDR Support" is the same.

Can any iPhone X/XS owners comment?
[doublepost=1543508951][/doublepost]I have to add, it's still a beautiful video on my XR.

My Xs is not showing red, just the multicolor hue like the Xr

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
It’s a well known fact that the 8+/XS/XS max have a better true HD display then the XR with its blurry text.

Nope, just a matter of using the Vimeo app. Nothing to do with screens for this thread.

Also, no one can tell the difference between my XR and my coworkers XS Max. Not a single person. Text is perfect.
[doublepost=1543552425][/doublepost]
Apple hasn’t advertised the XR/8+ as comptabile with full HDR like the X/XS. Just that they support it, and it’ll be a small improvement. My guess is the Xr still does this but lags behind a bit in some colors compared to the 8, still capable so still advertised, but the shortcomings get swept under the rug.

Nope, just a matter of weather or not you use the Vimeo app for this thread. Nothing to do with the screens after all.
[doublepost=1543552489][/doublepost]
Do you see red at the end of this HDR video on Vimeo?

iPhone 7 Plus and XR can’t.
iPhone 8 Plus and XS Max can.

This is what it looks like on my iPhone XR.

https://twitter.com/iphone10r/status/1067890918693511168

All phones can with Vimeo app. Your thread is bunk.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Nope, just a matter of using the Vimeo app. Nothing to do with screens for this thread.

Also, no one can tell the difference between my XR and my coworkers XS Max. Not a single person. Text is perfect.

Nope, just a matter of weather or not you use the Vimeo app for this thread. Nothing to do with the screens after all.
[doublepost=1543552489][/doublepost]

All phones can with Vimeo app. Your thread is bunk.

I don’t see red in the “make available offline” version on the app. I see red now after removing the offline version and restarting the app.

Last edited:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I don’t see red in the “make available offline” version on the app. I see red now after removing the offline version and restarting the app.

Great, thread solved. Mods should lock this and you should change the title so people aren't further misled about the XR display.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011

So your anecdotal evidence of your co workers suffices?
I definitely can see a difference without having both side by side.

I wouldn't call the text "blurry", but it's definitely less sharp.
The XR screen though is definitely a little better than I thought it would look. It's still nice.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
So your anecdotal evidence of your co workers suffices?
I definitely can see a difference without having both side by side.

I wouldn't call the text "blurry", but it's definitely less sharp.
The XR screen though is definitely a little better than I thought it would look. It's still nice.

I personally don't need any co-workers for me to call BS on blurry text on the XR. You folks with these super eyes that can see the faintest of details.. Glad I don't have your eyes. The XR display is just fine and folks need to really just knock off the BS.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
HDR is so hyped up yet so unimportant. Even on flatscreen TV's. It's more marketing than reality. Either the panel you are using produces good blacks or it doesn't. HDR, Dolby Vision, my goodness most of it is just hype and stat sheet bs.
On LCD, yes, HDR is kinda lame.

Try watching HDR video on OLED in dark setting, and you will change your mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.