Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themacguy631

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this issue, I did a quick search on here and didn’t see any posts. There are horizontal lines on the iPhone XS display that are only noticeable when the brightness is set all the way down and you’re in a dark room. It’s most noticeable on a white background. I’m on my second replacement device and it still has it in the same exact spots. I had iPhone X and it did not have this issue so it’s not normal for an OLED screen.

Apple wants me to try another replacement but I’d hate to go through the whole process if they all have it.

I attached a picture but it’s kind of hard to see it when you take a picture of it.

Edit: Would be great if other XS owners can check the same spots circled in the picture with the brightness all the way down in a dark room.

Attachments

• A3E53B93-57BB-4ABF-B176-BA9E3E05D775.jpeg
    A3E53B93-57BB-4ABF-B176-BA9E3E05D775.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 23,853
Last edited:

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
I can only see the red circles... I can´t see any lines, nor have i ever heard of any line problem.

(edited: weird typos :p )

Last edited:

themacguy631

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
I can only sea the read circles... I can´t see any lines, nor have i ever heard of any line problem.
Yeah as I said the you can't really see it in the picture but they are definitely there, confirmed by the manager when I was at the store. I'm wondering if it's only affecting replacement units. My original XS was replaced for dead pixels but I'm pretty sure it didn't have this issue.

joabim

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
I had this problem too - the lines were in pretty much the same locations. You should however more easily spot them on dark gray backgrounds. Someone created this test image for finding this type of defect ( https://imgur.com/DUEKJzH <- download and view it full screen). Take a look at this image in a pitch black room with brightness turned all the way down.

Reactions: themacguy631

bzudo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
Yes, my Xs has these lines in the same spots. I’ve tried taking it to the store for a replacement, but the Genius Bar said they couldn’t see them.

Don’t really know what to do. I read at night with the brightness at the lowest setting and these lines are distracting. Not to mention it’s a brand new phone.

Should I take it to another store? Really don’t want to settle if this is a defect in the phone.

themacguy631

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Yes, my Xs has these lines in the same spots. I’ve tried taking it to the store for a replacement, but the Genius Bar said they couldn’t see them.

Don’t really know what to do. I read at night with the brightness at the lowest setting and these lines are distracting. Not to mention it’s a brand new phone.

Should I take it to another store? Really don’t want to settle if this is a defect in the phone.
Yeah I'm frequently on my phone at night with it on the lowest brightness setting, it's so annoying it's the only thing I see now. Yeah I would definitely try another store if possible. I'm lucky that I have many stores to go to if I do have a problem. The first guy that looked at mine was like yeah I don't see it so he got the manager to look and he saw it right away.

bzudo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
Going to take it to another store tomorrow. My only worry is I received the phone in September and the 14 day return period is over. I'm just looking for an exchange at this point. Hopefully they'll be able to see it.

themacguy631

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
I had this problem too - the lines were in pretty much the same locations. You should however more easily spot them on dark gray backgrounds. Someone created this test image for finding this type of defect ( https://imgur.com/DUEKJzH <- download and view it full screen). Take a look at this image in a pitch black room with brightness turned all the way down.
Was the replacement good?
[doublepost=1540236831][/doublepost]
Going to take it to another store tomorrow. My only worry is I received the phone in September and the 14 day return period is over. I'm just looking for an exchange at this point. Hopefully they'll be able to see it.
Yeah if you get a replacement make sure it's good before you leave. I made a mistake by restoring my backup and leaving without checking. When I go again on Saturday I'm not going to restore until I know it doesn't have it.

bzudo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
I went to a different Apple store and had a Genius Bar rep take a look. They couldn't see the issue. I explained that it needs to be viewed in a nearly pitch black room, but due to the managers office being locked up they didn't have a back room capable of getting that dark.

It's frustrating they didn't have the correct conditions to view the problem and because of that, they couldn't give me a new phone. They recommended waiting a few weeks for the iPhone Xs' replacement panels to be delivered and then have the panel replaced.

joabim

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
Was the replacement good?

So I just got my replacement - I’m afraid to say that the lines are still there. They are less noticable this time around though - I can’t see them without the dark gray test image (on my previous unit I even saw them in spotify and the clock app). Let’s see if I can get an image - need to charge my dslr first

themacguy631

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
So I just got my replacement - I’m afraid to say that the lines are still there. They are less noticable this time around though - I can’t see them without the dark gray test image (on my previous unit I even saw them in spotify and the clock app). Let’s see if I can get an image - need to charge my dslr first
Not a good sign! I may reschedule my appointment looks like they haven’t corrected this yet!
[doublepost=1540549150][/doublepost]
I went to a different Apple store and had a Genius Bar rep take a look. They couldn't see the issue. I explained that it needs to be viewed in a nearly pitch black room, but due to the managers office being locked up they didn't have a back room capable of getting that dark.

It's frustrating they didn't have the correct conditions to view the problem and because of that, they couldn't give me a new phone. They recommended waiting a few weeks for the iPhone Xs' replacement panels to be delivered and then have the panel replaced.
Yeah the Grand Central Apple in NYC didn’t have a dark area so they made a makeshift dark room by pulling their shirt/sweatshirt over their head. I guess it depends how dedicated the team is to helping customers.

I would almost just want a display replacement so I don’t have to go through the whole set up process for the 4th time.

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
These are supposed to be premium devices. IMHO, if you are not entirely satisfied, then I would return it to the store and ask that they give you a replacement unit that is 100% satisfactory.

Reactions: themacguy631

themacguy631

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Quick update - had just the screen replaced this time and the lines are still there in the same exact spots. I’m going to call again tomorrow to see what the next step is.

hobblepot

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2019
Quick update - had just the screen replaced this time and the lines are still there in the same exact spots. I’m going to call again tomorrow to see what the next step is.

I noticed this on my phone a few days ago, but it only shows up on grey or not quite black backgrounds. I’m taking it to a Genius Bar this weekend to have them look at it, but unfortunately with the screen being an OLED panel it’s more likely they’ll tell me this is within Apples acceptability, or that this is typical of OLED panels. OLEDs do tend to have more things such as this than LCD, not to mention the more you go to have your screen replaced the more damage is going to happen to your phone. My phone is on finance so a replacement isn’t possible for me as i’ve had it for 4 months, but if they replace the screen and it remains, I’ll deal with it. Before my appointment i will try to see if it occurs on any demo models, if it does, this must just be something expected of these phones. Whilst it is VERY annoying and quite ridiculous that such a “premium” smartphone would have such a smeary screen, Apple are renowned for aesthetic over substance

Tsukasa1402

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2019
Hi I have the same issue. I had a screen replacement and it was still there and today I got the phone replaced but the problem is still there, I don't know what to do next.
Does somebody know if the iPhone XS Max have the same issue?

yhk

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2019
I noticed this on my phone a few days ago, but it only shows up on grey or not quite black backgrounds. I’m taking it to a Genius Bar this weekend to have them look at it, but unfortunately with the screen being an OLED panel it’s more likely they’ll tell me this is within Apples acceptability, or that this is typical of OLED panels. OLEDs do tend to have more things such as this than LCD, not to mention the more you go to have your screen replaced the more damage is going to happen to your phone. My phone is on finance so a replacement isn’t possible for me as i’ve had it for 4 months, but if they replace the screen and it remains, I’ll deal with it. Before my appointment i will try to see if it occurs on any demo models, if it does, this must just be something expected of these phones. Whilst it is VERY annoying and quite ridiculous that such a “premium” smartphone would have such a smeary screen, Apple are renowned for aesthetic over substance
Hi I have the same issue. I had a screen replacement and it was still there and today I got the phone replaced but the problem is still there, I don't know what to do next.
Does somebody know if the iPhone XS Max have the same issue?
Was your phone new too?I have the same problem on my xs and the lines are on the same spot.

Tsukasa1402

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2019
Was your phone new too?I have the same problem on my xs and the lines are on the same spot.
Yes the Genius Bar replaced the phone yesterday but I have the same lines on the same spot. I think all iPhone XS have this problem but not many people notice that.

yhk

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2019
Yes the Genius Bar replaced the phone yesterday but I have the same lines on the same spot. I think all iPhone XS have this problem but not many people notice that.
I read about this in apple discussion site too.People have same problem.It’s annoying those phone cost more than previous 2 or 3 generations and have these kind of display problem.I’m iPhone user since my first phone. And I just got mine like two weeks ago and I kinda disappoint I bought iPhone.

Tsukasa1402

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2019
I read about this in apple discussion site too.People have same problem.It’s annoying those phone cost more than previous 2 or 3 generations and have these kind of display problem.I’m iPhone user since my first phone. And I just got mine like two weeks ago and I kinda disappoint I bought iPhone.
I had last year the iPhone X and it doesn't have the problem. Also I compared it today with my friend and his iPhone X doesn't have the issue.

yhk

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2019
Did you compare your xs with other xs too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jokesta

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
i have a question for everyone in the comments.. are ur iPhones 64Gb? I tried a couple of 64Gb iPhone XS Max(s) and they all had this issue. I tried a couple of 256gb iPhone XS Max (s) and none of them had the issue. I think it only exists in the 64Gb versions

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
i have a question for everyone in the comments.. are ur iPhones 64Gb? I tried a couple of 64Gb iPhone XS Max(s) and they all had this issue. I tried a couple of 256gb iPhone XS Max (s) and none of them had the issue. I think it only exists in the 64Gb versions
Almost every forum member in this thread has not been back on this forum since July 2019....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.