Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valeighn

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2021
i also got that horizantal lines in my screen. Mine is iphone xs 256 gb. Just bought it 3 days now. I guess xs has it all screens like that base on what i read here. But they dont include it on their features. I hope this will not be a problem coz i bought it in a high price. Hoping someone could suggest for a better ways. Thank you

Suarez

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2021
F
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this issue, I did a quick search on here and didn’t see any posts. There are horizontal lines on the iPhone XS display that are only noticeable when the brightness is set all the way down and you’re in a dark room. It’s most noticeable on a white background. I’m on my second replacement device and it still has it in the same exact spots. I had iPhone X and it did not have this issue so it’s not normal for an OLED screen.

Apple wants me to try another replacement but I’d hate to go through the whole process if they all have it.

I attached a picture but it’s kind of hard to see it when you take a picture of it.

Edit: Would be great if other XS owners can check the same spots circled in the picture with the brightness all the way down in a dark room.
few days ago suddenly I noticed this on my XR, im very upset and don’t know what to do ?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
i also got that horizantal lines in my screen. Mine is iphone xs 256 gb. Just bought it 3 days now. I guess xs has it all screens like that base on what i read here. But they dont include it on their features. I hope this will not be a problem coz i bought it in a high price. Hoping someone could suggest for a better ways. Thank you
F

few days ago suddenly I noticed this on my XR, im very upset and don’t know what to do ?
Take your phone to an Apple store or contact whoever you purchased the phone from and show them the issue. You can also try: getsupport.apple.com

coleen_ssn

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
We also bought a brand new Iphone xs max 256gb last week that has faint horizontal lines on the screen. We have it refunded to the seller since we found out based on its model number that it is a REPLACEMENT UNIT!

We even called apple support, they said that the lines are not normal, you should have the unit replaced by your seller.

Attached is the photo of the unit that we bought and returned.

Hopefully, this will help others who encountered the same problem as us.

Attachments

• 249053069_953339292200544_3487115166090786951_n.jpg
    249053069_953339292200544_3487115166090786951_n.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 248046321_641798013653509_8730890766893237029_n.jpg
    248046321_641798013653509_8730890766893237029_n.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 155

DigGumPig

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2022
I am a bit late to the party but hey better late than never.

So I have just gone through 4 iPhone XS replacements and one screen replacement in between.
I only came in to the Apple store to swap a battery but because the screws were stuck, they advised to replace the whole unit.

I've gone through so many because of a phenomena dubbed "banding" and it seems to be an occurrence across many OLED displays, not just iPhone.

When I got my 3rd iPhone XS I have noticed the damn line at the top as well. After that, I was offered a display replacement which I accepted. Sadly, even after the display replacement, the line was still there.

After that we tried doing a Restore at the Store as the technician suspected it may be a software issue due to the lines being horizontal rather than vertical. The restore did not fix the issue unfortunately.

After all that I was given another replacement unit which unfortunately has the line at the top as well.
Now that you mention it, I can spot two faint lines(one in the middle and one at the bottom) just like the ones being described here.
Here's a Video of the lines, uploaded to YouTube

I suspect that this may be a more permanent issue across many iPhone XS and even XR by the looks of it.
Honestly, it is not that big of a deal if this is just one of those things that just so happens during a very specific use case. It is still rather disappointing that a device this premium is burdened by something so silly.

Has anyone managed to get a unit without these lines at all ?

I will most probably go down to the Store one more time to discuss all this but don't think I will bother getting another replacement unit. But then at the same time, another part of me feels like I should try and get to the bottom of this and just keep swapping until I end up with one without these issues.

Honestly the support I have gotten from the Apple Store here in Liverpool has been absolutely outstanding. Perhaps I should just let it be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.