Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which new iPhone

• Total voters

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
I currently have an iPhone 8 plus but I want to upgrade to either the Xs or Xs plus later this year. If you currently have an 8 plus which will you be getting. I love the idea of retaining the bigger battery in the Xs Plus but I kinda like the slightly smaller form factor of the 5.8 inch Xs.

Reactions: ForumChick

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
i think both will be great phones.

but what i will be interested in seeing over the next few months after launch is if there are thoughts that this new "Plus" or "Max" size will be thought of as having reached a kind of maximum threshold for what would be considered a "pocketable device".
after this size there would have been (still clinging on, barely) the iPad Mini.
another question is how this new larger iPhone size might prompt apple to make iOS more friendly to do actual work on smaller devices such as thus, rather than almost exclusive now as a messaging/voice device.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I currently have an iPhone 8 plus but I want to upgrade to either the Xs or Xs plus later this year. If you currently have an 8 plus which will you be getting. I love the idea of retaining the bigger battery in the Xs Plus but I kinda like the slightly smaller form factor of the 5.8 inch Xs.

This is exactly where I was and I was super excited to get the X. I'm super happy with the X screen size and I love the smaller phone! I think the plus ( I had the 7+) is huge in my pocket, especially with a case on. My wife loves the X over the 7 plus because it fits in her smaller purses. I would not consider going back to the plus for those reasons.

However, if the rumored 6.1 ever came out with the higher end specs, I would consider that, I think it would be a great fit between the two sizes.

Reactions: 5105973

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
This is exactly where I was and I was super excited to get the X. I'm super happy with the X screen size and I love the smaller phone! I think the plus ( I had the 7+) is huge in my pocket, especially with a case on. My wife loves the X over the 7 plus because it fits in her smaller purses. I would not consider going back to the plus for those reasons.

However, if the rumored 6.1 ever came out with the higher end specs, I would consider that, I think it would be a great fit between the two sizes.
I don’t think the narrower screen would bother me too much. My 8 plus is soooo wide with my tech21 case on it and it’s cumbersome at times. I’m really thinking I’ll go with the gold 5.8 inch XS
[doublepost=1536621549][/doublepost]
We'll all find out Wednesday morning. :)
I’m so excited. I’ve never actually been able to watch the whole keynote but I can this year. I’m also looking forward to the series 4 Apple Watch because my series 1 is showing it’s age in terms of wear and tear as well as battery life.

timta

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
XS Plus of course! I think the XS will be too similar to the X. The X was released less than a year ago and I don't think there will be any major improvements.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I loved my 6 Plus, I upgraded to 8 Plus last year. ALSO bought the X (was thinking about selling the 8 Plus)
After realizing I would lose a lot of money on the 8+....and I just could not get used to the smaller size of the X. I returned the X for a full refund.

At the time...I was hoping for a X Plus for 2018.
Now that it's happening, yeah I'll upgrade to the XS Max

LCD 6.1 COULD work, of course it should be cheaper. But we'll lose a lot of features I believe.

This time last year, we were talking about the "notch." I fully admit I hated it. But after getting the X, that didn't bother me what so ever.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 5.8 inch one if you want to actually be able to carry it around with you

Or the 6.5 X, which you can also carry around with you. Its Just a matter what somebody’s comfortable with, but I think the trade offs will also be worth having a larger 6.5 X, to each their own.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
i think both will be great phones.

but what i will be interested in seeing over the next few months after launch is if there are thoughts that this new "Plus" or "Max" size will be thought of as having reached a kind of maximum threshold for what would be considered a "pocketable device".
after this size there would have been (still clinging on, barely) the iPad Mini.
another question is how this new larger iPhone size might prompt apple to make iOS more friendly to do actual work on smaller devices such as thus, rather than almost exclusive now as a messaging/voice device.
As far as I’m aware (from previous leaks) the XS plus (hope to god they don’t call it Max) will be physically the same size as the current plus size iPhones, unlike the X which is marginally larger in every dimension than the iPhone 8. I have always gone with the plus size iPhones solely for the battery life which I find lacking on the regular models. Where the X has almost caught up in this regard, I’d prefer to go even better if the XS plus can deliver on that front.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
XS partly because I still have the cases for the X I returned last winter. Though I’m not completely sure the XS will fit into the X case because some case manufacturers seem to be drawing a distinction between cases for XS and X.

The other reason is I also carry an Android phone, which is currently the S9+. I hope to upgrade to the Note 9 when the prices come down. And that’s a huge phone. I don’t mind carrying an iPhone 8 Plus and a large Android but the X felt large enough when I had it. It will do. I think. Nothing is set in stone until the Keynote.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Leaning X Plus, but keep going back and forth. I really like the size of my X, but some additional features may sway me.
Yeah a lot will ultimately depend on the specifics revealed at the Keynote. People say that the leaks ruin the Keynote and tell us everything we need to know, but this year that’s not the case.

I’d like to think I’ll be happy with the smaller XS and the smaller price tag that’s likely to go with it. But I’m the gal who goes for the sharks with lasers. If the X Plus comes with the sharks with lasers, I’m there. In my case the “Sharks with Lasers” feature would be Apple Pencil support exclusive to the largest model.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah a lot will ultimately depend on the specifics revealed at the Keynote. People say that the leaks ruin the Keynote and tell us everything we need to know, but this year that’s not the case.

I’d like to think I’ll be happy with the smaller XS and the smaller price tag that’s likely to go with it. But I’m the gal who goes for the sharks with lasers. If the X Plus comes with the sharks with lasers, I’m there. In my case the “Sharks with Lasers” feature would be Apple Pencil support exclusive to the largest model.

Agreed, there could definitely be a few surprises this year. Unfortunately though, I don't think Pencil support is coming. I feel like they would have to create a new smaller Pencil for this to be feasible with a phone. I don't think the market is there for it so I don't think they are in any rush to add support. They look at the Pencil as a drawing tool, how much drawing is one doing on a phone?

Reactions: 5105973

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
I wonder how the +’s weight will be distributed. Considering the home button is gone, I would assume user would have to reach way down to swipe up, at which point the phone would tip backwards

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Agreed, there could definitely be a few surprises this year. Unfortunately though, I don't think Pencil support is coming. I feel like they would have to create a new smaller Pencil for this to be feasible with a phone. I don't think the market is there for it so I don't think they are in any rush to add support. They look at the Pencil as a drawing tool, how much drawing is one doing on a phone?
Admittedly not a lot, though I did use to sketch on my Note 7 the brief time that I had it. If you look at what the S-Pen can be used for in the Note series, if Apple can adapt the Apple Pencil for similar use on an IPhone, it could be a compelling feature for a lot of professionals. I wouldn’t mind a folio case that could hold a shrunken version of the Apple Pencil. I do agree this is not likely coming this year, or even at all. Even the Note market is a relatively modest niche for Samsung and a lot of its buyers get the Note not for the S-Pen but the beefed up specs over the S Series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.