Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which new iPhone

• Total voters

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I wonder how the +’s weight will be distributed. Considering the home button is gone, I would assume user would have to reach way down to swipe up, at which point the phone would tip backwards

I don't think many people are trying to use a Plus size phone with one hand, but I haven't had any such issue with the X.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I wonder how the +’s weight will be distributed. Considering the home button is gone, I would assume user would have to reach way down to swipe up, at which point the phone would tip backwards
I sometimes ran across that with the IPhone X that I had. I used mine two-handed and held on tight like I do with my iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung S9+. I just never mastered one handed use on any device larger than the iPhone SE. Especially not when swiping was called for. I can operate my 8 Plus one-handed when I absolutely have to. But it’s certainly not my ideal way to use the phone.

Edit to add that I’m a petite woman.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Admittedly not a lot, though I did use to sketch on my Note 7 the brief time that I had it. If you look at what the S-Pen can be used for in the Note series, if Apple can adapt the Apple Pencil for similar use on an IPhone, it could be a compelling feature for a lot of professionals. I wouldn’t mind a folio case that could hold a shrunken version of the Apple Pencil. I do agree this is not likely coming this year, or even at all. Even the Note market is a relatively modest niche for Samsung and a lot of its buyers get the Note not for the S-Pen but the beefed up specs over the S Series.

Yea I am sure there are some people that would like such features, but I don't ever see Apple going this way. I think they view it as going backwards from everything I gather. They could definitely change their mind at some point though.

Reactions: 5105973

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
6.5 will kill all history iphone and people will dont care what they are >> buy it again and fianncialing as much as they can :)

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
No more, I would say, than you had to reach down to press the home button? I’ve never had a problem with that on larger models and I don’t have particularly large hands

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’m a small person with small hands and use my 8+ with one hand as often as I can. I think the X+ will make that near impossible (it’s almost impossible to reach that top left corner, but my Loopy case helps).

That being said, I just don’t know if I can go to an X. I have had a + since iPhone 6, and I just can’t imagine having a smaller phone.

Currently struggling with this first world problem for sure.

Reactions: Dino F

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
I’m a small person with small hands and use my 8+ with one hand as often as I can. I think the X+ will make that near impossible (it’s almost impossible to reach that top left corner, but my Loopy case helps).

That being said, I just don’t know if I can go to an X. I have had a + since iPhone 6, and I just can’t imagine having a smaller phone.

Currently struggling with this first world problem for sure.
the X doesn't feel much smaller than the + phones because of the screen real estate. You're best bet is to feel both in your hand before deciding.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have to laugh at all of the comments about needing a purse for the larger phone, it being a brick, unwieldy, etc. It’s as if some are trying to justify their purchasing of a smaller device by injecting negative connotations on the plus size model.

I’m 6’7, the plus size is perfect for me. It’s easily a one handed device for me, fits in my pockets, isn’t cumbersome, no need for a purse, etc. I don’t knock the smaller size. Choice is great. Here’s to hoping that those who seem to take offense at the larger phones can find inner peace with the smaller phone they’ve chosen.
[doublepost=1536676155][/doublepost]
I am actually looking forward to downsizing and gaining screen real estate at the same time with the XS.
Keep in mind, if by downsizing you mean coming from a 5.5” plus model to the XS, you may gain in numbers on paper, but you are not gaining overall screen real estate. The useable surface area of the 5.8” screen is less than that of the 5.5” and more narrow. There are dozens upon dozens of buried threads on this (back when the release happened last year).

Last edited:
Reactions: pdxmatts

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have to laugh at all of the comments about needing a purse for the larger phone, it being a brick, unwieldy, etc. It’s as if some are trying to justify their purchasing of a smaller device by injecting negative connotations on the plus size model.

I’m 6’7, the plus size is perfect for me. It’s easily a one handed device for me, fits in my pockets, isn’t cumbersome, no need for a purse, etc. I don’t knock the smaller size. Choice is great. Here’s to hoping that those who seem to take offense at the larger phones can find inner peace with the smaller phone they’ve chosen.
[doublepost=1536676155][/doublepost]
Keep in mind, if by downsizing you mean coming from a 5.5” plus model to the XS, you may gain in numbers on paper, but you are not gaining overall screen real estate. The useable surface area of the 5.8” screen is less than that of the 5.5” and more narrow. There are dozens upon dozens of buried threads on this (back when the release happened last year).

Honestly, this is why I’m considering keeping my 8+ if the X+ is over the top expensive. I love the size of my phone, and I think it would be great to have that same size but with more screen. What I don’t want is a smaller phone, with what really doesn’t amount to much (if any) in the way of extra screen.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
The X is already thicker and heavier than I want. I can’t see my self getting a phone bigger than the 8 Plus. I already have enough things flopping around in my pocket.

Reactions: Breezygirl

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I found that the X to be too unbalanced when using one handed, too tall especially when you’re reaching to the bottom of the screen. The Plus series I never had the same problem with, they just felt more balanced in the hand. I really wish they’d kept the 16:9 ratio screen.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Honestly the X is too heavy IMO. It’s also a touch too big for easy one handed use for me. I will upgrade to an XS Plus next week for one year and then hope Apple releases an SE sized iPhone with Face ID in 2019.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
the X doesn't feel much smaller than the + phones because of the screen real estate. You're best bet is to feel both in your hand before deciding.
It’s all a matter of personal preference. For me, I went from a Plus to the X and noticed a big reduction in useful screen. I then went from a X to an 8 and noticed very little difference (in screen real estate).

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
It’s all a matter of personal preference. For me, I went from a Plus to the X and noticed a big reduction in useful screen. I then went from a X to an 8 and noticed very little difference (in screen real estate).

Agreed, that's why I got the 8+, this year I'm going to pick up the XS+ or Max or whatever they call it.

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
I am so torn this year. I've only had my 8 plus since February and I think that it's almost too big. I manage it but I can't imagine trying to swipe down from the top corner for control center on a Xs Plus. Also if the Xs Plus starts at over 999 I might not even consider it. I'm hoping that the 5.8 inch iPhone Xs starts at 899 and the plus or max starts at 999 that would be doable.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I went from an iPhone 7 to the 8 Plus and this was my first ever 'Plus' sized iPhone. Its a great size and found it massive to begin with but did get used to it (I 100% use it one handed all the time).

The only times I find it too big is when it goes into my front jeans pockets as it won't really fit properly - it won't allow me to sit down unless I swivel the phone each time so that it sits on the side of the pocket i.e. the phone needs to be swivelled so that its on the side of my thigh in the pocket as opposed to on the top of my thigh in the pocket. This is the reason I am having a tough decision on which sized phone to go for this year.

I guess, ideally, I would want a phone just smaller than the 8 plus but bigger than the current iPhone X.

Lets see what gets announced tomorrow evening....

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
I went from an iPhone 7 to the 8 Plus and this was my first ever 'Plus' sized iPhone. Its a great size and found it massive to begin with but did get used to it (I 100% use it one handed all the time).

The only times I find it too big is when it goes into my front jeans pockets as it won't really fit properly - it won't allow me to sit down unless I swivel the phone each time so that it sits on the side of the pocket i.e. the phone needs to be swivelled so that its on the side of my thigh in the pocket as opposed to on the top of my thigh in the pocket. This is the reason I am having a tough decision on which sized phone to go for this year.

I guess, ideally, I would want a phone just smaller than the 8 plus but bigger than the current iPhone X.
I'm in the exact same position you are. I came from the 7 to the 8 plus and am so torn now. I definitely am leaning towards the 5.8 Xs though. And I can't wait to see the back of the gold model. I hope it looks like the 8's gold.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
The X is already thicker and heavier than I want. I can’t see my self getting a phone bigger than the 8 Plus. I already have enough things flopping around in my pocket.
Agree, the XS Max is going to be very heavy especially with a case.

James Baldwin

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
is XS plus body size is 5.5 inch with edge to edge screen size of 6.5 ?
AFAIK yes which is why I am eagerly awaiting going for the XS plus/max. I had elected to go for the 8+ this time last year having been disappointed by the small screen on the X and hoping that apple would bring out a X plus in 2018.

I think the XS plus/max really is the limit of what can be comfortably operated as a phone before you get into tablet territory. The edge to edge screen really maximises the real estate of the body which is just about comfortable in my large hands. Don’t think I would want anything larger but than a plus body and the 5.8 phones are just too small for me.

XS PLUS is perfect.

Ohayo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK yes which is why I am eagerly awaiting going for the XS plus/max. I had elected to go for the 8+ this time last year having been disappointed by the small screen on the X and hoping that apple would bring out a X plus in 2018.

I think the XS plus/max really is the limit of what can be comfortably operated as a phone before you get into tablet territory. The edge to edge screen really maximises the real estate of the body which is just about comfortable in my large hands. Don’t think I would want anything larger but than a plus body and the 5.8 phones are just too small for me.

XS PLUS is perfect.

that's perfect! perfect to know the XS plus is actually in 5.5 inch body with 6.5 inch screen ratio! i were afraid it got really big on the palm. now i have clear cut which to get ! . thanks !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.