Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone XS / XS MAX have a yellow tint?

• Total voters

DanPH77

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
Here is an example of the color temp/hue of the XS Max. All pics took with a professional camera. Personally, to my eyes it still feels warm (looks like 5000k instead of 6500k) but in the pics it looks OK. My serial # starts with F2

Album is here with more pics (click link below)
https://imgur.com/a/Z2dfjWX

SGFT7mp.jpg

Z2dfjWX

Attachments

• DPH77 (1).JPG
    DPH77 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,688
  • DPH77 (2).JPG
    DPH77 (2).JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,539
  • DPH77 (3).JPG
    DPH77 (3).JPG
    839.7 KB · Views: 1,363
  • DPH77 (4).JPG
    DPH77 (4).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,281
  • DPH77 (5).JPG
    DPH77 (5).JPG
    997.7 KB · Views: 1,304
  • DPH77 (6).JPG
    DPH77 (6).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,291
  • DPH77 (7).JPG
    DPH77 (7).JPG
    996.2 KB · Views: 1,240
  • DPH77 (8).JPG
    DPH77 (8).JPG
    881.7 KB · Views: 1,260
Last edited by a moderator:

tcdav26

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Yarmouthport, MA
Here is an example of the color temp/hue of the XS Max. All pics took with a professional camera. Personally, to my eyes it still feels warm (looks like 5000k instead of 6500k) but in the pics it looks OK. My serial # starts with F2

SGFT7mp.jpg

Z2dfjWX
Just check out your Imgur link. Where you have the color filter set is as close to how my X looked! It’s crazy how much warmer the XS/XS Max’s are.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Here is an example of the color temp/hue of my XS Max. All pics took with a professional camera. Personally, to my eyes it still feels warm (looks like 5000k instead of 6500k) but in the pics it looks OK. My serial # starts with F2

SGFT7mp.jpg
There is already a massive thread on this that you posted this to as well, why start another?

Reactions: 1144557

DanPH77

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
Just check out your Imgur link. Where you have the color filter set is as close to how my X looked! It’s crazy how much warmer the XS/XS Max’s are.

Yea, problem is that changing the hue is not fixing the problem. Need a color temp adjustment slider...there use to be one in old iOS's. I talked with Apple and they said it was intended to be warmer because of the eye health...in my opinion that is a load of crap because there is so much variance floating around right now. It would have been better to allow everyone to adjust the temp of the phone to their liking...2700k up to 6500k

Reactions: tcdav26

DanPH77

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
There is already a massive thread on this that you posted this to as well, why start another?
So users can see pics of what is going on in detail from a professional camera instead of having to sniff through 41 pages of content that is scattered...that is why.

Reactions: tcdav26

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
No white balance setting info. No info on which camera was used. Being viewed on a massive range of mostly uncalibrated displays making any comparison pretty meaningless. Doesn’t seem that useful to me, but there we go.

Reactions: WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

DanPH77

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
No white balance setting info. No info on which camera was used. Being viewed on a massive range of mostly uncalibrated displays making any comparison pretty meaningless. Doesn’t seem that useful to me, but there we go.

White point is default, camera is a $1000 Canon DSLR, also being viewed by multiple users who have different perspective on what looks better to them...(reason for 2700k-6500k bulbs)

Its not useful because you dont want it to be, but there we go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashleyx0x0marie

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
Yea, problem is that changing the hue is not fixing the problem. Need a color temp adjustment slider...there use to be one in old iOS's. I talked with Apple and they said it was intended to be warmer because of the eye health...in my opinion that is a load of crap because there is so much variance floating around right now. It would have been better to allow everyone to adjust the temp of the phone to their liking...2700k up to 6500k

My warm display is driving me crazy. It’s a shame that I almost want to return my max because my iPhone 7+ screen colors are so much better to me on it... I prefer cooler toned whites and applying the color filter is awful, it dulls my brightness of my screen. Apple really gave eye health as an excuse... I paid 1200$ I should decide what my whites look like... that’s why there’s True Tone and night shift... so disappointed.

Reactions: DanPH77

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

SGFT7mp.jpg

Z2dfjWX
[/QUOTE

SGFT7mp.jpg

Z2dfjWX
Enable increase contrast al it will do is enhance Colors and leave Filters off. In my humble opinion if you need to enable filters to get a tint that’s correct that display should be Returned or exchanged on a $1200 phone Apple needs to deliver no excuses. All displays should be color calibrated before they leave the factory.

Reactions: DanPH77

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
OK, there is certainly some strange voodoo going on. Not sure if it's 12.1 b2 or something else. BUT, my screen suddenly looks awesome!

I was laying in bed this morning, dark room, looking at my phone... TrueTone on, auto-brightness on at about 40% and nightshift off. Screen was the usual TT yellow (I thought on the whole, my screen was decent anyway).

Was reading this forum and saw the post from @DanPH77 and saw his colour filters settings. I turned off TT and set my colour filters to the same as his and saw what a pink mess it made of my screen. I turned off colour filters and reapplied TT and set my brightness to 50% (so just a little brighter than before), and my screen was similar to earlier.

I then thought I'd mess with auto-brightness, so I went in and turned it off and BAM! the slider didn't move but the brightness of the actual screen pretty much doubled, as in retina-burning. Also, the complete tone of the screen changed to less yellow. I manually slid the brightness bar to 40% and it was still really bright (probably similar to slider fully right on auto-brightness). I checked if TT had somehow become disabled but nope, was still on. Checked if colour filters were still on, but nope.

It's properly odd, but my screen looks so much better now, and I didn't think it was bad to begin with. Very bizarre.

EDIT: I also tried a number of different higher and lower brightnesses when this happened, so am convinced it's not just an effect of the screen being brighter. The tone of the screen actually changed.
[doublepost=1538553413][/doublepost]

SGFT7mp.jpg

Z2dfjWX

It's worth just pointing out for other readers, even though you can see it in the screenshot, that you have bold text enabled. They may not, and it may confuse as to why your text looks "different"

Last edited:

DanPH77

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018

My phone doesnt look good with True Tone on after trying to get use to it for a week+. It has that very warm tone to it. Dont get how toggling auto brightness would change the color temp/hue of the phone. I tried it and couldnt tell a difference. I think in my pics though it seems a little more cool tone than what my eyes personally see.

Trying to figure out what to do before Friday if I am going to return or keep.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
White point is default, camera is a $1000 Canon DSLR, also being viewed by multiple users who have different perspective on what looks better to them...(reason for 2700k-6500k bulbs)

I assume default means auto white balance rather than a specific white point like tungsten or daylight, right? If you’re using auto WB, it’ll change the white point for every photo based on what is in the image, which means that a screen that looks yellow in one image could look pure white or blue in the next depending on what background it’s against or what is next to it. That’s why I said it wasn’t that useful a comparison unless you tell us what the WB setting is, along with the fact that what looks better to someone depends completely on what screen they’re viewing the photo on. Unless you have a colour-managed workflow all the way from camera sensor to screen accurate colour comparisons in digital images just aren’t possible: that’s why ad agencies etc. spend so much money on colour management. Sure, you can look at how even a screen is but comparing white point from one to another in images posted on here is a waste of time.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
OK, there is certainly some strange voodoo going on. Not sure if it's 12.1 b2 or something else. BUT, my screen suddenly looks awesome!

I was laying in bed this morning, dark room, looking at my phone... TrueTone on, auto-brightness on at about 40% and nightshift off. Screen was the usual TT yellow (I thought on the whole, my screen was decent anyway).

Was reading this forum and saw the post from @DanPH77 and saw his colour filters settings. I turned off TT and set my colour filters to the same as his and saw what a pink mess it made of my screen. I turned off colour filters and reapplied TT and set my brightness to 50% (so just a little brighter than before), and my screen was similar to earlier.

I then thought I'd mess with auto-brightness, so I went in and turned it off and BAM! the slider didn't move but the brightness of the actual screen pretty much doubled, as in retina-burning. Also, the complete tone of the screen changed to less yellow. I manually slid the brightness bar to 40% and it was still really bright (probably similar to slider fully right on auto-brightness). I checked if TT had somehow become disabled but nope, was still on. Checked if colour filters were still on, but nope.

It's properly odd, but my screen looks so much better now, and I didn't think it was bad to begin with. Very bizarre.

EDIT: I also tried a number of different higher and lower brightnesses when this happened, so am convinced it's not just an effect of the screen being brighter. The tone of the screen actually changed.

It's worth just pointing out for other readers, even though you can see it in the screenshot, that you have bold text enabled. They may not, and it may confuse as to why your text looks "different"

What was your screen like previously?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
What was your screen like previously?

I thought it was OK, but TT made everything too yellow. But now it just seems brighter, whites seem white as opposed to grey, and TT is working very well with no over-yellowing. It's very bizarre. I'm afraid to reboot my phone in case it goes back.

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
I thought it was OK, but TT made everything too yellow. But now it just seems brighter, whites seem white as opposed to grey, and TT is working very well with no over-yellowing. It's very bizarre. I'm afraid to reboot my phone in case it goes back.

Could it have been the 12.1 beta update you have? Did it happen immediately after?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Could it have been the 12.1 beta update you have? Did it happen immediately after?

No, I applied the beta last night at shortly after it was available OTA. There wasn't any immediate change. It was this morning when I switched auto-brightness off and the screen just doubled in brightness and the TT yellow wasn't anywhere near as bad. I throttled back the brightness and it was perfect. There were no lighting changes in the room as it was early morning so very dark.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
No, I applied the beta last night at shortly after it was available OTA. There wasn't any immediate change. It was this morning when I switched auto-brightness off and the screen just doubled in brightness and the TT yellow wasn't anywhere near as bad. I throttled back the brightness and it was perfect. There were no lighting changes in the room as it was early morning so very dark.
Some people report that changing the same settings you have, in a dark room, provides better screen tones etc. Hence, it could be down to the sensor that's responsible for TT, AB etc.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007

Haha. $1k camera is hardly a “professional” camera. It’s cheaper than your phone. You should’ve reset the white point under your lighting condition.

SamIam06

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018

ATTENTION: YELLOW SCREEN IS SELF FIXABLE! I noticed this yellow tint on my iPhone XS Max and was obsessed on fixing it. Finally figured it out and the yellow tint is gone. Follow directions below so you can get your phone display to your personal liking:

Disclaimer: Make sure True Tone and Nightshift are off first. If the yellow tint is still there, which it was in my case, here is the fix:

(Before starting, I’d recommend turning up brightness to 80-100% so you can accurately calibrate your settings to your liking)

1. Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Turn on Color Filters

2. Tap Color Tint and verify it’s checked

3. Navigate to the HUE slider and move it left or right until you reach your desired screen look. (I personally liked this setting at around 30-35%, but user preference will vary so maybe use it as a starting point)

4. Then adjust the INTENSITY slider left or right to suit your preference (I personally recommend this setting at around 65-70%, but user preference will vary so maybe use it as a starting point)

At this point, the yellow tint should be gone.

Phone seems dim? Want additional brightness?

Additional optional setting:

Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > TURN OFF Reduce White Point or turn down reduce white point as much as possible.

Attachments

• 7F0FCE5F-5750-4BA1-8F6D-5E60871CA88C.png
    7F0FCE5F-5750-4BA1-8F6D-5E60871CA88C.png
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 617
  • 15A44277-430A-41A1-976A-962594FE4476.png
    15A44277-430A-41A1-976A-962594FE4476.png
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 527
  • 8460A793-3F31-4E4B-9F92-CF1FF7A560C7.png
    8460A793-3F31-4E4B-9F92-CF1FF7A560C7.png
    311.8 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:
Reactions: YaBoiD

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
ATTENTION: YELLOW SCREEN IS SELF FIXABLE! I noticed this yellow tint on my iPhone XS Max and was obsessed on fixing it. Finally figured it out and it looks better then my previous iPhone X and earlier phones now. In fact, it’s perfect now. Follow my directions:

Disclaimer: Make sure True Tone and Nightshift are off first. If the yellow tint is still there, which it was in my case, here is the fix:

No More Yellow!

1. Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Turn on Color Filters
  3. Navigate to the HUE slider and move it left or right until you reach your desired screen look. (I personally recommend this setting at around 30%)
  4. Then adjust the INTENSITY slider left or right to suit your preference (I personally recommend this setting at around 65%)

Want additional brightness?

Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > TURN OFF Reduce White Point

If you have any questions, or want me to send you screenshots of the perfect settings, feel free to email me at samsmith94587@gmail.com and I’ll respond as soon as possible
[doublepost=1538610462][/doublepost]ATTENTION: YELLOW SCREEN IS SELF FIXABLE! I noticed this yellow tint on my iPhone XS Max and was obsessed on fixing it. Finally figured it out and it looks better then my previous iPhone X and earlier phones now. In fact, it’s perfect now. Follow my directions:

No More Yellow!

3. Navigate to the HUE slider and move it left or right until you reach your desired screen look. (I personally recommend this setting at around 30%)
  4. Then adjust the INTENSITY slider left or right to suit your preference (I personally recommend this setting at around 65%)

Want additional brightness?

Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > TURN OFF Reduce White Point

Some screenshots are attached of my settings. Just try it. It will work. If you have any questions, or want me to send you screenshots of the perfect settings, feel free to email me at samsmith94587@gmail.com and I’ll respond as soon as possible

There was a huge thread about this last year with the iPhone X. These settings are not new. Those of us with an X applied these settings last year.

Reactions: DeanPSN

SamIam06

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
There was a huge thread about this last year with the iPhone X. These settings are not new. Those of us with an X applied these settings last year.

That’s great to hear! I to had an iPhone X and did not notice this yellow issue until just recently when comparing my XS Max to my X. Anyways, I found a fix, I noticed others having the same issue, so I posted how I fixed it so others can save the hassle of returning/exchanging/making a Genius Bar appointment etc. For those of us catching up late in the game, I find it is best to just provide a solution to the community than to argue about who found it first. I do wish you the best in your future endeavors though! :)

randy.massoglia

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014

Is your night shift off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.