Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone XS / XS MAX have a yellow tint?

• Total voters

DanPH77

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
Haha. $1k camera is hardly a “professional” camera. It’s cheaper than your phone. You should’ve reset the white point under your lighting condition.

Yea a $1000 phone that does more than just take pics compared to a $1000 camera that focuses solely on that....
[doublepost=1538620844][/doublepost]
That’s great to hear! I to had an iPhone X and did not notice this yellow issue until just recently when comparing my XS Max to my X. Anyways, I found a fix, I noticed others having the same issue, so I posted how I fixed it so others can save the hassle of returning/exchanging/making a Genius Bar appointment etc. For those of us catching up late in the game, I find it is best to just provide a solution to the community than to argue about who found it first. I do wish you the best in your future endeavors though! :)

The problem is it’s not a fix. It puts a filter over your phone. It’s still a bad screen that’s not calibrated. Have someone send you a text message and watch the notification pop up box and you will see what I am talking about

Reactions: YaBoiD

DanPH77

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
Some more pics (taken with another iPhone XS):

bDckwUu.jpg
2eki51u.jpg

Last edited:

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
People just need to stop using true tone and display will be fine.
Nope https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/here-we-go-again-yellow-tint-xs-xs-max.2140260/
[doublepost=1539173123][/doublepost]
ATTENTION: YELLOW SCREEN IS SELF FIXABLE! I noticed this yellow tint on my iPhone XS Max and was obsessed on fixing it. Finally figured it out and the yellow tint is gone. Follow directions below so you can get your phone display to your personal liking:

Disclaimer: Make sure True Tone and Nightshift are off first. If the yellow tint is still there, which it was in my case, here is the fix:

(Before starting, I’d recommend turning up brightness to 80-100% so you can accurately calibrate your settings to your liking)

1. Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Turn on Color Filters

2. Tap Color Tint and verify it’s checked

3. Navigate to the HUE slider and move it left or right until you reach your desired screen look. (I personally liked this setting at around 30-35%, but user preference will vary so maybe use it as a starting point)

4. Then adjust the INTENSITY slider left or right to suit your preference (I personally recommend this setting at around 65-70%, but user preference will vary so maybe use it as a starting point)

At this point, the yellow tint should be gone.

Phone seems dim? Want additional brightness?

Additional optional setting:

Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > TURN OFF Reduce White Point or turn down reduce white point as much as possible.

If this works for your taste then more power to you, but for most people this makes the screen worse as its effects all colours as its a filter. This is not the fix.

AlthePal

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
Edit: Posted this to the wrong thread. Hehe sorry, I’m a newb here

Last edited:

tbeaumont

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
Atlanta
OK, there is certainly some strange voodoo going on. Not sure if it's 12.1 b2 or something else. BUT, my screen suddenly looks awesome!

I was laying in bed this morning, dark room, looking at my phone... TrueTone on, auto-brightness on at about 40% and nightshift off. Screen was the usual TT yellow (I thought on the whole, my screen was decent anyway).

Was reading this forum and saw the post from @DanPH77 and saw his colour filters settings. I turned off TT and set my colour filters to the same as his and saw what a pink mess it made of my screen. I turned off colour filters and reapplied TT and set my brightness to 50% (so just a little brighter than before), and my screen was similar to earlier.

I then thought I'd mess with auto-brightness, so I went in and turned it off and BAM! the slider didn't move but the brightness of the actual screen pretty much doubled, as in retina-burning. Also, the complete tone of the screen changed to less yellow. I manually slid the brightness bar to 40% and it was still really bright (probably similar to slider fully right on auto-brightness). I checked if TT had somehow become disabled but nope, was still on. Checked if colour filters were still on, but nope.

It's properly odd, but my screen looks so much better now, and I didn't think it was bad to begin with. Very bizarre.

EDIT: I also tried a number of different higher and lower brightnesses when this happened, so am convinced it's not just an effect of the screen being brighter. The tone of the screen actually changed.
[doublepost=1538553413][/doublepost]

It's worth just pointing out for other readers, even though you can see it in the screenshot, that you have bold text enabled. They may not, and it may confuse as to why your text looks "different"
[doublepost=1540089875][/doublepost]What worked for me on my Max was to turn auto brightness on and then put it under a very bright lamp and watched the brightness go to maximum. Seemed considerably brighter than manually adjusting the brightness level to maximum. Then I turned off auto brightness and the phone has consistently stayed very bright. From all the threads I have read seems that the screen only hits the highest brightness level when outside on a sunny day.

kimpiraman

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2018
Guys you can fix the yellow issue not with brightness or tone etc... they do help but the real fix is:
  1. Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Color Filters
  3. Navigate to the HUE slider and move it left or right until you reach your desired screen look
  4. The adjust the INTENSITY slider left or right to suit your preference
your screen is going to look super white.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Guys you can fix the yellow issue not with brightness or tone etc... they do help but the real fix is:
  1. Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Color Filters
  3. Navigate to the HUE slider and move it left or right until you reach your desired screen look
  4. The adjust the INTENSITY slider left or right to suit your preference
your screen is going to look super white.

Noooooo! Why does this keep coming up?! This is not the fix.

Reactions: DanPH77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.