Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
It doesn't matter. The timeframe for adding Applecare has already passed. And if you were still eligible, the AC client runs a diagnostic check to see if a phone is tied to icloud, damaged, or blacklisted. So you wouldn't be able to add it anyway.

also , when applecare replaces a phone the current status stays intact on the new ones , blacklisted , not unlocked ,ect.

Alt1acc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2019
It doesn't matter. The timeframe for adding Applecare has already passed. And if you were still eligible, the AC client runs a diagnostic check to see if a phone is tied to icloud, damaged, or blacklisted. So you wouldn't be able to add it anyway.
Well, there’s still about 2 months where I’m eligible for Apple Care. The phone itself is not tied to an iCloud(except for my own) and it hasn’t been blacklisted yet, so I’m not sure why I wouldn’t be eligible

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Well, there’s still about 2 months where I’m eligible for Apple Care. The phone itself is not tied to an iCloud(except for my own) and it hasn’t been blacklisted yet, so I’m not sure why I wouldn’t be eligible

you wouldent be , however the replacement would still be linked to previous users account. applecare replacements keep the same status as the old ones.
[doublepost=1565544847][/doublepost]

you would be , however the replacement would still be linked to previous users account. applecare replacements keep the same status as the old ones.
you wouldent be , however the replacement would still be linked to previous users account. applecare replacements keep the same status as the old ones.

your best bet is to pay an unlocking service. however the phone could still be blacklisted , even after applecare replacement.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
semi-illegal solution which requires additional money

buy a new phone from apple/amazon and after a few days request to return it, but instead, return the phone that you bought the first time. Amazon, as far as I know, will work 100% since they don't link any s/n, imei and etc.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
this is not semi-illegal , its fraud and illegal.
Getting scammed over a locked phone and being able to do nothing is already illegal, so.
At least I gave OP a recommendation. It's up to him if he decides to attempt it.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Getting scammed over a locked phone and being able to do nothing is already illegal, so.
At least I gave OP a recommendation. It's up to him if he decides to attempt it.

so if someone steals your car , its ok to go steal someone else ? since you got ripped off.

how about not give out terrible and illegal advice to people. you gave no recommendation , just a terrible piece of advice.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Reason #1,000,000 why I never buy used. I sell plenty of phones on swappa, but these days there are too many scammers and desperate people out there.
If you buy used, Swappa is fine. I bought a "stolen" phone from there and had no problem returning it.

It's when you pay cash on an unregulated site you get screwed.

Sucks OP, but I would strongly advise against defrauding Apple to get what you want.

Lesson learned. Buy used Apple products on the refurb store.

DarkSorrow82

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2016
Minocqua, WI
The problem here isn't with getting the device unlocked, it's with the IMEI.

Unlocking just lets you take the device to any carrier. It doesn't do anything to help you if the device is eventually blacklisted (and the blacklist is shared with your current carrier).

So…breaking the device gets you a replacement. Since Apple replaces like for like, guess what happens? They check the IMEI of the previous device and what do you know? Previous device is locked. So, you get back a locked device.

OK, now it's got a different IMEI but you're still back at square one. Because you have to get the carrier to unlock it. Maybe you get lucky and they don't cross-reference the new IMEI to the old IMEI (since this is a replacement) but you're still having to deal with the problem.

You may luck out and get it unlocked that way, but it's going to be a journey.

That’s not entirely true. I had a IMEI tied to a T-Mobile iPad 6th Generation that my friend gave me because he didn’t pay it off and I traded him something else. Few months after getting it the speaker went out but it was still under a year old. Apple gave me a brand new device with a new sim that I activated on Verizon with absolutely no issues at all. Apple didn’t even mention anything about the original T-Mobile account at all either.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
That’s not entirely true. I had a IMEI tied to a T-Mobile iPad 6th Generation that my friend gave me because he didn’t pay it off and I traded him something else. Few months after getting it the speaker went out but it was still under a year old. Apple gave me a brand new device with a new sim that I activated on Verizon with absolutely no issues at all. Apple didn’t even mention anything about the original T-Mobile account at all either.

that's true , the carrier blocks those because they are unlocked factory , if you tried it on t0mobile it would not work. other carriers however would.

at least that's the way it is in the north.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.