Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beitie

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Minnesota USA
I’ve been having an issue with my iPod Touch 7th Gen. This issue has been on going ever since I got it. When I plug the iPod into my PC (Windows 11, USB to Lightning), iTunes see’s the iPod, and it appears to Sync, but the recent Podcasts and songs are not transferred to the iPod Touch, and I must manually sync through iTunes, and sometimes I have to manually sync twice for new items to appear on the device.

This issue has been persistent in multiple different versions of iOS 15 (I bought the iPod Touch late, and it came with iOS 15). I have also tried to factory reset the iPod Touch. Nothing has worked to solve this issue.

Sometimes I can get it to sync properly by hooking it up to the PC, unchecking the “Automatically Sync with iTunes” box, hitting the apply button, pressing the sync button. Unplugging the iPod Touch, and then plugging it back in. However, this ‘fix’ seems to only work for a few days at most.

I also own an iPhone 11 Pro, and regularly sync the phone with my PC. My iPhone 11 has never had this issue. I plug it in, and it syncs properly every time without any issues.

This issue is incredibly frustrating since I use this iPod to listen to Podcasts daily, and this issue has caused me to be unable to listen to Podcasts at work a few times, and cause me to be late to work a few other times where I’ve caught the issue and had to run back to my PC and re-sync the dumb thing.

I’m curious if anyone else has had this issue? Or if anyone knows of any fixes for this issue?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Whenever I've seen this problem, it's due to a cable that's less than perfect. Not saying that's what is going on but it could be.

3rd party Lightning cables do not have updatable firmware; Apple cables do. Again, not saying that either are the cause but it's the first thing that I would check out.

I would also update to iOS 15.7.3, released a few days ago. The usual security updates and bug fixes.

Reactions: Beitie

Beitie

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Minnesota USA
I am using a 3rd party cable. I will try out the origional Apple cable and see if that makes a difference.

Beitie

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Minnesota USA
So just an update here. I've been using the official Apple USB type A to Lightning that came with my iPod Touch. So far the problem still exists. I'm not sure it's really solvable. Maybe I have just some sort of bunk iPod?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
You want to get Apple involved. They won't be able to use the "not Apple cable; not our problem" brush-off on you.

Even though you are om Windows, iTunes/AppleMusic is supposed to work for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.