Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
At first I thought it was my inner luddite coming out, but after a few days of usage I can say that it's more than that.

Even in 2024, for me and my gym usages, my two iPod Shuffles (final gen versions) are simply staggeringly SO GOOD for what they are built to do.

I was doing some cleaning and pulled them out, loaded them up with iTunes (yes, I still use iTunes even on Sonoma -- thx Retroactive!!) and grabbed one of my sets of Bang & Olufsen EarSets (I still have a few, including one BNIB) .... and it's totally replaced my AirPods + iPhone for the gym.

I'd been looking at ways to get rid of the phone in my gym situation as it's too much to tote around along with my workout sheet clipboard and water bottle.

I tried Apple Watches, but it only served to show me how and why I'm so committed to my Garmin watch ... and I'd thought of going to a Garmin Watch with onboard music, but I really prefer the Instinct line which doesn't have that feature.

I've also been using one of my iPhone SE1's along with the Airpods and that works well to reduce size and weight, but it's still toting around an iPhone.

You know what's better?

My B&O EarSets + iPod Shuffles

So light and out of the way I can't even tell I'm wearing it at all
Instant, easy, access to volume tweaks and track changes both on my waist or on the cord controller

I thought I'd be more annoyed by wires again, but I'm not -- they go under my shirt and are mostly just "not there".

The iPod Shuffle is an ALL TIME great Apple product.

They really should consider making a new one to work with Apple Music playlists offline -- like the Mighty 3 does for Spotify/Amazon

It's an example of what great products really are ... super tightly focused on doing what they do ... really really well.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
So..
An update today

My "holy grail" Gym Setup just got ... more "holy"

I've added the thinnest and lightest BT transmitter I could find on Amazon and this .. is .. epic

I clip the shuffle on my waist and run the cable & BT transmitter down into my left pocket and it's like it's not even there. A touch more noticeable than the Shuffle + wired headphones, but just barely so, and in exchange I get no wires going up behind my shirt and to my ears.

This is so great.

God I love the Shuffle
Such a shame they nuked it

I would kill for a new Shuffle with Bluetooth -- even if it got a touch bigger (for more battery for sure)

IMG_7361.jpeg
IMG_7362.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.