Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
At my workplace, we've gotten a bunch of iPod Touchs, including older models. But I've run into a snag. I tried wiping five 2nd-generation iPod Touches (A1288) using Apple Configurator 2, and they seemed to wipe and reset fine, but after that they seemed stuck in something like Recovery Mode, with this "Connect to iTunes" to screen...
99FC3249-70BF-4E2D-BDCD-270E7BF6AA51_1_201_a.jpeg

I did a little more experimenting, and I found that I had to activate the iTouches by going into the Finder and clicking the icon for the iTouch would start "activating" it, to which I then get an "unlock" screen that goes right to the home screen with the default apps. No personal files are intact, no additional apps the previous owner installed...
Is this normal for wiping a batch of 2nd-generation iPod Touches? I thought there would also be a sequence of steps where you have to set up a passcode and log in with an Apple ID (if you have one) and connect to a Wi-Fi network... Or is this one of those "What's a record?" deals I'm going through? :p

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
This is normal, iOS devices before software version 5 required iTunes to activate. There was no Wi-Fi option for activation, requiring a wired connection. In a way this is much better for bulk activation and deploying devices, if they did not require other setup you could activate as many as a hub would allow at one time.

Reactions: dandeco and Nermal

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
This is normal, iOS devices before software version 5 required iTunes to activate. There was no Wi-Fi option for activation, requiring a wired connection. In a way this is much better for bulk activation and deploying devices, if they did not require other setup you could activate as many as a hub would allow at one time.
Thanks; that's good to know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.