Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baldung99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Well here I am, I've found myself with some more "mystery meat" electronics!

A friend of mine gave it to me. Allegedly it worked, then he tossed it in a drawer, where it sat since at least 2016. Now he tried to power it on and it just won't, staying in the "red battery" state. I've left it to bake for eight or so hours on a 20W iPad charger, followed by a couple hours in another charger (25W, Xiaomi) and nothing yet.

What would cause that kind of reaction?

EDIT: Welp, it wasn't the llogic board, it was the charging board that's connected to it via a flex cable. Also the screen was ruined - we're talking delamination and rot! Fun times.

Last edited:

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
It could be that the battery is dead, dead, dead. If the battery health is below 80% (not the charge), it could expand and take out the iPod while on a charger.

You can try a Hard Reset
Hard Reset

There used to be apps that could measure the battery health but they are no longer reliable. The iPod Touch 6 is newer than "Vintage" on the Apple site which means that, if it's a battery issue, Apple will service it (for a fee) but will check it out for free. If you're near a Genius Bar, that's where I would head.

Vintage in 2023 — these can get service (till parts run out). Yout Touch 6 is two versions newer
  • iPod nano (7th generation, Mid 2015)
  • iPod shuffle (4th generation, Mid 2015)
  • iPod touch (4th generation)

Last edited:

Baldung99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
It could be that the battery is dead, dead, dead. If the battery health is below 80% (not the charge), it could expand and take out the iPod while on a charger.
It turned out there's some water damage, though I couldn't find any apparent damage on the logic board itself. I found another device without a screen so I'll just swap parts until one of them works.

Reactions: mikehalloran

OneRebertt

Suspended
Apr 17, 2020
Damage on the logic board may not always be visible, so there is a possibility of you needing to replace the mobo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.