Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you thinking about switching to Windows?

• Yes

Votes: 74 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 136 55.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 34 13.9%

• Total voters

Brandon Hobart

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
United Kingdom
The new Macbook Pro has disappointed me in many ways (especially the disability of not connecting iPhone to it and the absence of ports) but this has not yet led me to consider Windows. Maybe sooner or later, I can get convinced to switch to Windows from Apple! :rolleyes:

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
The new Macbook Pro has disappointed me in many ways (especially the disability of not connecting iPhone to it and the absence of ports) but this has not yet led me to consider Windows. Maybe sooner or later, I can get convinced to switch to Windows from Apple! :rolleyes:

Interesting. In what way is it not possible to connect an iPhone to it?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm split,
I run OS X and windows on my iMac (its about a 60/40 split). I also opted for a Surface Book instead of a MBP, and that's been fine.

I've said this elsewhere, Windows 10 is just as good as OS X. Both have issues, short comings and both have very good things. My opinion is that choosing windows or OS X is a matter of personal preference.

For me, the Surface Book offers what I need where as the MBP doesn't.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
I've had to run Windows in the workplace for years because of proprietary software. We've never experienced the crashes or system freezes others have mentioned. We have had to deal with the occasional virus when a dumb employee clicks on an email from a Nigerian Prince offering to make them rich. No matter how many times I tell them not to open strange emails they will from time to time. Of course, that problem is not limited to Windows machines. Lately my virus software had been blocking those emails on my Mac and reporting they contain viruses.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Well I've only had windows laptops and windows machines and this MBP will be my first apple computer. Windows is not a bad system, if your uses are basic and you have other people solving your problems. I am such a person who has to solve the technical problems in my family and friend group. The amount of time I have lost trying to get those damn problems solved is unreal. It doesn't end with other computers, I myself have to regularly stop myself from breaking this laptop. So many hours lost, it's sad really.

So while I am convinced of the build quality of the MBP, I will have to see if macos is worth it. If it is not, I am not going back to windows. Maybe I will just quit using computers all together.

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
Absolutely not, i only joined Mac OS in 2011 after being Windows/PC only since 1995. I do NOT want to go back there. I still have to manage Windows at work. Don't be fooled, Windows is worse than its ever been, schizophrenic is the word to describe Windows 10, it does not know if it wants to be a touch or a mouse based OS.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Absolutely not, i only joined Mac OS in 2011 after being Windows/PC only since 1995. I do NOT want to go back there. I still have to manage Windows at work. Don't be fooled, Windows is worse than its ever been, schizophrenic is the word to describe Windows 10, it does not know if it wants to be a touch or a mouse based OS.
Newest updates have both of those options working well. If 2011 is your datum then i understand your view.

Reactions: David58117

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Newest updates have both of those options working well. If 2011 is your datum then i understand your view.
It always works well for the upper layers that normal people view most of the time.
Once you dig in or start doing some stuff different than browsing or mailing, you see a crumbling basement, running miles below the nice surface.

For some days I've noticed I can't put anything on my start menu anymore. Can't move or delete anything from it either. I have restarted several times already because I was required to install updates, but it's still the same. This is what greatly annoys me. I can't be bothered anymore to look on the web for solutions, I just want to get rid of this POS that is windows.

Edit: Now that I'm ranting I may just as well continue. Yesterday I had to fresh install windows 10 on my girlfriend's pc because the hard drive crapped out after just about 2 years. I wanted to reinstall some of her most used apps, but it took hours. Why you might ask? Well, windows was constantly downloading and installing junk apps like candycrush, twitter, skype preview or W/E, sollitaire, 3d builder. I removed them over and over again, but they kept redownloading and reinstalling, taking all of our slow internet's bandwith and maxing the SSD write speed.

How happy she was when the laptop only costed 800€ proving me you can get a decent laptop for that kind of money. Oh boy, all the stuff I had to replace already. If you add that up, you have a laptop that's more than 1000€ already. And if you add my and her frustration, you have a priceless laptop.

Ugh I could go on for hours.

Last edited:

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
One problem with Windows 10 is the privacy concerns.

"Before we get started, there are two ways to talk about Windows 10 privacy, both of which are valid. The first one is to go hardcore: There are steps you can take to block Windows 10 from phoning home to Microsoft, or relaying any telemetry at all, even for home users. But those methods also require some fairly sophisticated additional tools, or at least a deeper understanding of Windows functions than many users may be comfortable with. For example, one challenge with locking down Windows 10 is that certain URLs are hardcoded into the operating system and can’t be blocked by any changes to your PC. These URLs can only be locked out via a separate firewall or by modifying your router to do so (if your router supports this function). Furthermore, there’s no practical way to prevent Microsoft from pushing an update that changes the addresses and obviates the bypass you had set up."

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...10-anniversary-update-to-protect-your-privacy

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I never thought i would ever consider switching away from Apple. Never. But with a family of 4 with 4 laptops, 4 ipads, one desktop hub. All in need of an upgrade. Ive been waiting for a mac Air refresh and a mac mini refresh. Forever! To keep in the Apple ecosystem. I have to pay $3000 per laptop!!! To get a decent spec. Hello chromebooks on the low end and some Razor or Alienware on the high end. Good job Tim Cook! Btw i had to sell my mac bookpro 17" for parts, 2 years ago due to overheated failed motherboard.

Apple IS doomed!

$3000 per laptop? Very nice!! Don't worry I am sur you can afford new mac anyway.

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
Of Course! I'll put Windows on my New MBP 2016 like I've been doing in the past

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey

If you have LittleSnitch installed, it shows Apple does a lot of "phoning home" as well... I think I have about 20 rules in my set that are specific calls to some subdomain or domain of apple.com.

--rob

Reactions: Queen6

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
It always works well for the upper layers that normal people view most of the time.
Once you dig in or start doing some stuff different than browsing or mailing, you see a crumbling basement, running miles below the nice surface.

For some days I've noticed I can't put anything on my start menu anymore. Can't move or delete anything from it either. I have restarted several times already because I was required to install updates, but it's still the same. This is what greatly annoys me. I can't be bothered anymore to look on the web for solutions, I just want to get rid of this POS that is windows.

Edit: Now that I'm ranting I may just as well continue. Yesterday I had to fresh install windows 10 on my girlfriend's pc because the hard drive crapped out after just about 2 years. I wanted to reinstall some of her most used apps, but it took hours. Why you might ask? Well, windows was constantly downloading and installing junk apps like candycrush, twitter, skype preview or W/E, sollitaire, 3d builder. I removed them over and over again, but they kept redownloading and reinstalling, taking all of our slow internet's bandwith and maxing the SSD write speed.

How happy she was when the laptop only costed 800€ proving me you can get a decent laptop for that kind of money. Oh boy, all the stuff I had to replace already. If you add that up, you have a laptop that's more than 1000€ already. And if you add my and her frustration, you have a priceless laptop.

Ugh I could go on for hours.

Sounds like your installation file wasn't fully updated. Having to download the Windows 10 anniversary update sucks, but it's the equivalent of installing from the previous version of OS X and then having to download Siera - THAT takes hours, as I've had to do it a few times..

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Sounds like your installation file wasn't fully updated. Having to download the Windows 10 anniversary update sucks, but it's the equivalent of installing from the previous version of OS X and then having to download Siera - THAT takes hours, as I've had to do it a few times..

I have downloaded the most recent windows 10 iso, I don't believe those ad apps come preinstalled in the iso. Other updates it was downloading and installing were drivers.

Also I'm not comparing with macos as I don't know a thing about it. I'm just fed up with windows that is all. Hoping macos would be better when I get to finally use it.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I voted no for Windows due to my distaste for Microsoft products; however, given that Apple has chosen to price gouge its customers with the new 2016 MBPs, I am in the market for a new pc laptop to replace my aging Mac as my dev machine. It will run on Linux.

Queen6

macrumors G4
If you have LittleSnitch installed, it shows Apple does a lot of "phoning home" as well... I think I have about 20 rules in my set that are specific calls to some subdomain or domain of apple.com.

--rob

Very true since 10.11 OS X has become very talkative

Q-6
[doublepost=1478731225][/doublepost]

"Before we get started, there are two ways to talk about Windows 10 privacy, both of which are valid. The first one is to go hardcore: There are steps you can take to block Windows 10 from phoning home to Microsoft, or relaying any telemetry at all, even for home users. But those methods also require some fairly sophisticated additional tools, or at least a deeper understanding of Windows functions than many users may be comfortable with. For example, one challenge with locking down Windows 10 is that certain URLs are hardcoded into the operating system and can’t be blocked by any changes to your PC. These URLs can only be locked out via a separate firewall or by modifying your router to do so (if your router supports this function). Furthermore, there’s no practical way to prevent Microsoft from pushing an update that changes the addresses and obviates the bypass you had set up."

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...10-anniversary-update-to-protect-your-privacy

Simple solution Spybot Anti-Beacon - If you want to have the likes of Cortana or Siri you have to be prepared to share information, IMHO the only difference is one company is offering a level of transparency, the other is not. If your privacy is the primary concern Linux is where you need to be...

Q-6

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Interesting. In what way is it not possible to connect an iPhone to it?

Go to the store.

Purchase an iPhone 7 and a Macbook Pro 2016.

Out of the box, you can't connect the two except wirelessly.

Apple is pushing USB-C, but not on the iPhone 7. Should be going with USB-C on the iPhone at the same time.

You can reply and say "Oh well you can use wireless, or you can buy an adapter." That's what Linux and Windows users say!!! That's not sounding like Apple at all. The whole point of Apple is things work, and you don't have to do a bunch of work-arounds & quick fixes.

Reactions: Brandon Hobart

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Go to the store.

Purchase an iPhone 7 and a Macbook Pro 2016.

Out of the box, you can't connect the two except wirelessly.

Apple is pushing USB-C, but not on the iPhone 7. Should be going with USB-C on the iPhone at the same time.

You can reply and say "Oh well you can use wireless, or you can buy an adapter." That's what Linux and Windows users say!!! That's not sounding like Apple at all. The whole point of Apple is things work, and you don't have to do a bunch of work-arounds & quick fixes.

A lightning-to-USB-C cable is hardly a "work-around."

Most iPhone users are using USB-A computers, so that's the cable that currently ships with the iPhone. Pretty soon I imagine NO wire will ship with the iPhone, since more and more people never connect their phone to their computer. But maybe in-between they'll ship with both cables or an adapter. You act like spending $4.50 on an adapter is a major inconvenience.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
A lightning-to-USB-C cable is hardly a "work-around."

Most iPhone users are using USB-A computers, so that's the cable that currently ships with the iPhone. Pretty soon I imagine NO wire will ship with the iPhone, since more and more people never connect their phone to their computer. But maybe in-between they'll ship with both cables or an adapter. You act like spending $4.50 on an adapter is a major inconvenience..

That is ABSOLUTELY a work-around.

The iPhone comes with a lightning to USB cable. And yet none of Apple's new Macbooks have a USB slot.

In order to connect the two devices, you have to purchase a third item just to do so.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

The iPhone comes with a lightning to USB cable. And yet none of Apple's new Macbooks have a USB slot.

In order to connect the two devices, you have to purchase a third item just to do so.

So what about the millions and millions with a 2015 or earlier Mac system? "Sorry, you will need to buy a USB-A cable to connect to your new iPhone"? You seriously would make millions suffer instead of a minority? What about those that use iPhones but do not have macs? They have USB-A only.

This argument is so ridiculous. I am sick of hearing it. Having the new iPhones come with USB-A makes MORE sense than making it come with USB-C instead.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
So what about the millions and millions with a 2015 or earlier Mac system? "Sorry, you will need to buy a USB-A cable to connect to your new iPhone"? You seriously would make millions suffer instead of a minority? What about those that use iPhones but do not have macs? They have USB-A only.

This argument is so ridiculous. I am sick of hearing it. Having the new iPhones come with USB-A makes MORE sense than making it come with USB-C instead.

The WHOLE POINT is that the newest laptop product is not compatible with the newest iPhone product, out of the box, without a third purchase.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
Today I looked at the pc section of best buy for the first time in many years. I liked the touch screen computer. The only problem is it didn't pop up with a soft keyboard, you still use the keyboard. If they add a soft keyboard you could use these computers like a giant tablet that runs full windows and has all your professional applications. I think tim cook is right, people are going to switch to doing all their computing on tablets- but it is going to be pc tablets running touch screen windows. How long is it going to take to get our applications in ios? Years? Never for a lot of applications? Windows might be ready now for people to use computers as giant tablets and have all of their applications on it.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

It's not a work around. It's an elegant solution.
[doublepost=1478751365][/doublepost]
The WHOLE POINT is that the newest laptop product is not compatible with the newest iPhone product, out of the box, without a third purchase.
It is compatible, even without a third purchase (i.e wireless). This is a silly argument. Spend the $4.50 on an adapter if you really need to plug in, and stop being a martyr.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.