Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
It seems like it only uploads a thumbnail (.05 mb) of photos to Google Photos. How can i get it to finish uploading the photos? i have tried everything i can think of

rebanana

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2023
me too! This issue is blocking my use of google photos 2TB. I just made hundreds of family holiday photos and videos, to store for future fun, only discovered after getting home several were partially uploaded. Sadly, I already removed the original photos from my iPhone photos app, to free up storage for more shots. So I have no way to restore the high res pics/vids.
Google photos will not let me "re-upload" or re-initiate/resume the partial upload ... real bummer.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
Hi there, I don’t have experience with this but I can try to help. Are you doing manual photo uploads or is google photos supposed to backup your photos automatically?

Reactions: ToddJ

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Does anyone have any suggestions?

You would likely have better luck asking the question in a Google forum rather than on a Mac one where Photos/iCloud is generally the preferred app/storage.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Hi there, I don’t have experience with this but I can try to help. Are you doing manual photo uploads or is google photos supposed to backup your photos automatically?
Thanks for responding! i really appreciate it! It is supposed to be upload it at full resolution but if i do multiple photos at once or go to a different app it seems to only do a 'partial upload' which is a 0.5 megapixel photo. I have no idea on how to fix it though

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
So I downloaded it on my old phone with a sample photo library, and it worked well. Are you sure that:
1) your Google Photos backup settings are set to original quality
2) Google photos has full access to your iOS photos library
3) Click on your account in the top right section of Google Photos, click "review out of sync changes". Is there a queue of photos there?

Also, in the iOS settings app, go to background app refresh and disable Google Photos(if the feature is on)

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
îOS is very seriously mishndling background processes for online services as google Photos and OneDrive. They are performing nudging to make you use iCloud instead, but not being transparent about it. We experienced this with any online storage service we tried yet. On android, OneDrive e.g. works flawless and fast in the background. Not so with iOS.

The only remedy I have found to work is to put the app in the foreground on your specific device and let it do its work. This is always recommended when you want to upload many GB of data.

iOS always preferes its on services regarding background process priorities. We have to deal with it.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Any updates on this? I’d love to fix it by leaving the app open but it doesn’t seem to fix it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.