Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I'm typing things in Notes right now and the text cursor jumping back.

So I am typing "jumping" for example, and while I am at "jump", it would throw me back here for example: ju|mp.

Me, not seeing this, continues to type, resulting in the word being juing|mp.

What the fricking hell is this?

Is Apple made for people to work or are the products only made to look at? They are made only to look at I think!

This is ridiculous. I am in the middle of work and this thing kept happening lately.

I'm not sure if it's linked to Notes only … but it is ridiculous, how can you work like this?

You can't take Apple seriously.

If anyone has a fix, please let me know! Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You may want to review the checklist provided in this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5255199

There are several possible causes for this issue. Take each of the following steps until it's resolved.
1. Follow the instructions in this support article.
2. Open the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences and check for unknown or forgotten input devices. Disconnect any USB input devices that you aren't using.
3. Boot in safe mode and test, preferably without launching any third-party applications. If you don't have the problem in safe mode, but it comes back when you reboot as usual, stop here and post your results. If you can't boot in safe mode, do the same. If you booted in safe mode and there was no change, go on to the next step.
4. Reset the System Management Controller.
5. If you're using a Bluetooth trackpad, investigate potential sources of interference, including USB 3 devices.
6. A swollen battery in a MacBook Pro or Air can impinge on the trackpad from below and cause erratic behavior. If you have trouble clicking the trackpad, this is likely the reason. The battery must be replaced without delay.
7. There's a report that a (possibly defective) Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter can cause the built-in trackpad of a MacBook to behave erratically. If you're using such an adapter, disconnect it and test.
8. There's also a report of erratic cursor movements caused by an external display that was connected but not turned on.
9. If none of the above applies, or if you have another reason to think that your computer is being remotely controlled, remove it from the network by turning off Wi-Fi (or your Wi-Fi access point), disconnecting from a Bluetooth network link, and unplugging the Ethernet cable or USB modem, whichever is applicable. If the cursor movements stop at once, you should suspect an intrusion.
10. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine and/or external trackpad tested.

Hope it helps!

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Yep, I have experienced this occasionally for quite a while, specifically in the Notes app and nowhere else. IIRC it happens more often when I'm typing in a table cell.

Maybe the version of Notes that comes with Sonoma fixes it. I'm hoping it does when I upgrade from Ventura to 14.2.

You may want to review the checklist provided in this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5255199
That looks like they're talking about the mouse cursor. This is about the text insertion point (aka caret) when typing.

Last edited:

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012

Hope it helps!

Thanks a lot! I think I’ve done most of that but it still persists sadly.

Yep, I have experienced this occasionally for quite a while, specifically in the Notes app and nowhere else. IIRC it happens more often when I'm typing in a table cell.

Maybe the version of Notes that comes with Sonoma fixes it. I'm hoping it does when I upgrade from Ventura to 14.2.

That looks like they're talking about the mouse cursor. This is about the text insertion point (aka caret) when typing.

Absolutely: It happens in Notes and specifically in tables.

I believe it’s just Notes having a glitch. It’s ridiculous because it’s impossible to work this way. This makes me doubt wether Apple computers are made for working at all, or maybe to just look at them?

I guess I’ll have to wait for an update for Ventura or update to Sonoma. Very annoying … 🙃

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
1. Which Mac are you using?

2. Which mouse, keyboard? How are they connected?

3. Does the problem occur if all peripherals are disconnected?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
1. Which Mac are you using?

2. Which mouse, keyboard? How are they connected?

3. Does the problem occur if all peripherals are disconnected?

Mac mini m2 pro with the latest version of Ventura running, I'm using the latest wireless Apple keyboard (the one with Touch ID) and it happened while both while connected only with Bluetooth and with cable.

The problem keeps reappearing and it's only in Notes (or mostly there) like was mentioned before, so probably this is a Notes-software-issue and we can't do anything about it.

Apple products are becoming lower and lower quality sadly. It's hard to take them serious sometimes (and I say that at someone who's been using Mac for 25 years).

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
No other peripherals attached?

When did you get the mini? Did the problem occur then?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
No other peripherals attached?

When did you get the mini? Did the problem occur then?

Got it half a year ago or so, I'm not sure if it occured back then, but I think it might have, or it started at some point, so it's hard to point out when it was. Maybe it started with an update I installed. And I had no other peripherals attached to it.

But since another user has described the exact same problem, it's clear for me that we can't do much about it and it's just Apple's fault. We can send feedback or hope they read this thread and make an update.

By that time, of course, something else will be not working anymore. :D That's Apple these days. Bad quality sadly.

Reactions: BKDad

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
1 What does Apple Support say?

2. Did you get AppleCare?

Haven’t had the time to contact them yet, and yes I do have Apple care.

I think it might take less time to just report it over the bug/feedback feature.

I know exactly what they’re going to tell me: Reinstall the OS, reset everything and it’s still going to be there after that, it’s always been like that for me.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I know exactly what they’re going to tell me:

There are certain things steps that need to be followed during troubleshooting - the ones you listed being some of them. It's like building a house, first you have to have a foundation.

Once that is complete, and you have a good analyst, they will start looking at other possible causes. If that data is not in their databases if you have a good test case they will send it to development. That is likely preferable to feedback which is a black hole. You can keep pressing to see what development has to say if it gets that far.

It is your decision whether it is worth investing the time it requires.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
There are certain things steps that need to be followed during troubleshooting - the ones you listed being some of them. It's like building a house, first you have to have a foundation.

Once that is complete, and you have a good analyst, they will start looking at other possible causes. If that data is not in their databases if you have a good test case they will send it to development. That is likely preferable to feedback which is a black hole. You can keep pressing to see what development has to say if it gets that far.

It is your decision whether it is worth investing the time it requires.

I agree with you and for most people who call at Apple most likely "turning it off and on again" will resolve most problems.

For me it's just not worth the time, because I'm already short of it. So basically that means I'm doing Apple's work and they're saving money by me doing free work for them.

What I also dislike about Apple Support is that you can't send an email, you have to call them, wait in line, etc. I don't have the time for this. I'd rather type some text at 2 AM like right now and they can reply to it if they want.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What I also dislike about Apple Support is that you can't send an email, you have to call them, wait in line, etc.

?

Case Number: xxxxx

Hi xxx,

Thanks for contacting us. You can reply to this email or follow the link below to leave me a voice message.

https://supportmessaging.apple.com/app/fxxxlocale=en_US

My normal office hours are Monday to Friday, 0800-1500 xxx.

I'll get back to you the next day I'm in the office.

Thanks,

xxx
Apple

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
?

Case Number: xxxxx

Hi xxx,

Thanks for contacting us. You can reply to this email or follow the link below to leave me a voice message.

https://supportmessaging.apple.com/app/fxxxlocale=en_US

My normal office hours are Monday to Friday, 0800-1500 xxx.

I'll get back to you the next day I'm in the office.

Thanks,

xxx
Apple

I think it depends where you live, it seems you are in the US? Sadly we don't have this option in Europe, it seems like you can only call them. Even if you have Apple Care+ (I just tried it, and could only call). We used to be able to send emails, but it's been removed quite a while ago. Very annoying.

creativeinstigator

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2024
I just had a 3 hour call with AC support. Went through 2 agents, first agent we got disconnected then after explaining my issue. Was called back then transferred. Again had to explain my problem. Finally after explaining my issue to the third agent, was disconnected with no callback. I tried today to do a support chat but was told I needed to do another call. Again explained my issues, to who it sounded like was the agent who I was disconnected with on the previous 3 hr call to have them walk me though the steps to reproduce the issues which I understand has to happen. However I got the feeling the agent was purposefully dragging it out because I told her I had an an appointment to be at. Didn’t get anything resolved!

Are apple products under AC+ being managed remotely? I have a 2019 16” Intel. Curious if they are pushing updates behind the scenes. Anyways I’m frustrated. Paid good $ and this MBP has had to be sent back 3 times already.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I just had a 3 hour call with AC support. Went through 2 agents, first agent we got disconnected then after explaining my issue. Was called back then transferred. Again had to explain my problem. Finally after explaining my issue to the third agent, was disconnected with no callback. I tried today to do a support chat but was told I needed to do another call. Again explained my issues, to who it sounded like was the agent who I was disconnected with on the previous 3 hr call to have them walk me though the steps to reproduce the issues which I understand has to happen. However I got the feeling the agent was purposefully dragging it out because I told her I had an an appointment to be at. Didn’t get anything resolved!

Are apple products under AC+ being managed remotely? I have a 2019 16” Intel. Curious if they are pushing updates behind the scenes. Anyways I’m frustrated. Paid good $ and this MBP has had to be sent back 3 times already.

Apple Support is becoming more and more useless. You can feel it's cheap work force that is unqualified, unmotivated and probably not well paid either on those phones. So I can relate to your experience of an employee wanting to get rid of you, I've had that multiple times before, yet I spent many thousands on Apple devices.

On top of that, many of these employees (at least here in Europe) are sitting in low-wage countries like Turkey or some other similar country these days, and the quality of their work is just bad. I speak German and French, and many years ago, I would talk to a qualified person sitting in Germany for example, which is rarely the case these days.

All that's left from Apple is a facade. These people on the phone play the role of a premium support, but their German/French is catastrophic and you can feel they're sitting in a dirty office in a non-democratic state with no freedom, and that they're not motivated, not qualified and probably not well paid either.

Apple should reinvest the billions they make in innovation, product quality and customer support.

The worse thing is the time you lose with Apple Support, because it is so inefficient and irrational. In Europe, as opposed to North America, we can't send an email to Apple Support anymore. Dear American friends, don't wonder if email support soon disappears for you as well.

This means we now have to call support, but this is extremely time consuming. Your problem will usually not be resolved. And it will take ages! And most of the time, you'll find better and more qualified solutions by doing your own research (basically Apple phone support is waiting on the phone while the person does the research instead of you, and still having no idea about it).

Writing an email and responding at the time that is best for you would be much more practical for many consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.