Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonicaHwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
Apple has removed the traditional USB ports on the MacBook Pro, and the MagSafe charging port, and replaced them all with USB-C/Thunderbolt ports. Does that mean everyone who orders a MBP must buy a usb c adapter?

If you hate the C port, comment "1";
If you like the C port, comment "2".
Just curious about how you guys think of it.

Will casually pick up 2 comments and send you guys my spare MBP cases, stand and other little gadget.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014

USB-C devices, no, unless you count the required dongles and adapters for your situation.

But Apple this is not new for Apple. They shaved off ethernet in 2012, got rid of VGA in 2002. Variations of dvi/mini DVI and displayport afterwards.

It is the ultimate flexibility with varying degrees of inconvenience depending on what you're trying to do.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I would love it I am in no need of a new computer at the moment but I can't wait to have one port that does it all when I do. For a few quid on cables I can connect any of my peripherals to any port, brilliant. TB3 for a dock is also fantastic enough bandwidth for a huge amount of stuff over one cable can't be argued with either.

Reactions: MonicaHwang

MonicaHwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
yah, good point. That is exactly the same as what Apple 's claimed on Macbook Pro 2017. Apple is leading the trend.
[doublepost=1497605956][/doublepost]lol thanks bro

MonicaHwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
I would love it I am in no need of a new computer at the moment but I can't wait to have one port that does it all when I do. For a few quid on cables I can connect any of my peripherals to any port, brilliant. TB3 for a dock is also fantastic enough bandwidth for a huge amount of stuff over one cable can't be argued with either.
It seems many of you are using cable, what do you think of those dongle and hubs?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
99.9% of your usb devices can be used with either a dongle or cable swap.

Like when you buy a printer you have to buy a cable. Now you just buy usb c not a.

Simples

Reactions: PBG4 Dude

MonicaHwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017

Yes. There are a couple of mitigating circumstances.

@killawat was right in that you can simply swap cables

Plus USB-C-to-USB adapters are incredibly cheap, 5-6 bucks:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13005

And finally, lots of Apple peripherals already use Bluetooth.

that is cheap enough thanks
[doublepost=1497606375][/doublepost]
99.9% of your usb devices can be used with either a dongle or cable swap.

Like when you buy a printer you have to buy a cable. Now you just buy usb c not a.

Simples
hmmm...I just talked to one of my Apple enthusiast friend on Facebook and he told me he hates C port lol. He considers it a commercial trick lol

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I don't think anyone hates USB-C, we hate Apple didn't include just a single USB-A port on the Laptop line while almost every USB device outthere is USB-A. That greedy company didn't even include an adapter well knowningly, that they still are going to ship future device with USB-A cables and not USB-C.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
hmmm...I just talked to one of my Apple enthusiast friend on Facebook and he told me he hates C port lol. He considers it a commercial trick lol

Then he's not thinking straight its the new standard and the only way to include TB3, there are excellent design and engineering reasons for using only USBc / TB3 ports. just because he doesn't understand them doesn't mean they aren't there.

A commercial trick is putting in pointless fat old legacy ports in because people don't want to spend $20 on a few new cables (when they have just spent $2000 on a new computer) and hate change.

Last edited:

iVikD

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Spain

Definitely on board with the USB C changes. I have several USB C devices that I can now charge with the same cables. What I use the most, however, is a 32GB USB C/USB A double-ended drive that I use to transfer files between all my devices. It's great being able to put some songs or whatever files on it and then plug it into my phone and have access to them right away. Granted, I now have a small bag of dongles, but it's not too uncomfortable to carry it around.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
I just bought a 2-pack of these. Small and unobtrusive. No problem.

fullsize.jpg

Reactions: TonyK and bartvk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
It is not a big deal. Other companies (Samsung, LG, Dell, etc) are already switching over to USB C on their products. They want the smaller size connectors, increased functionality, and TB3 compatibility option.

The biggest shame is that Apple used the Lightning on the latest iPhone. They should have switched to USB-C. Hopefully they will with the next gen iPhone.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It is not a big deal. Other companies (Samsung, LG, Dell, etc) are already switching over to USB C on their products

Yup, and Dell's business laptops (Latitude) are now losing the drop-in dock connection and going exclusively to a USB-C dock/port replicator. They are not charging through that connection, or there is at least a regular charge port to go with it.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Then he's not thinking straight its the new standard and the only way to include TB3, there are excellent design and engineering reasons for using only USBc / TB3 ports. just because he doesn't understand them doesn't mean they aren't there.

A commercial trick is putting in pointless fat old legacy ports in because people don't want to spend $20 on a few new cables (when they have just spent $200 on a new computer) and hate change.

People hate that they HAVE TO spend another $20 when they just spent close to $2,000 for a new computer. People expect that these kinds of ubiquitous port to be provided while they are still relevant.

BoxsterRS

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
"2"

USB-C is going to be the future universal connection. Adoption of new tech is always expensive. Eventually it will probably be cheap dongles and cables.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yup, and Dell's business laptops (Latitude) are now losing the drop-in dock connection and going exclusively to a USB-C dock/port replicator. They are not charging through that connection, or there is at least a regular charge port to go with it.

The Dell XPS 15, and I assume the XPS 13, charge via either the dedicated charging port or via USB-C connected to appropriately powered dock/charger.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
The Dell XPS 15, and I assume the XPS 13, charge via either the dedicated charging port or via USB-C connected to appropriately powered dock/charger.

I imagine the Latitudes will as well (I believe the Precision M5510 did as it used the same dock as they're selling for the Latitude) but until I see it in person I won't know.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
People hate that they HAVE TO spend another $20 when they just spent close to $2,000 for a new computer. People expect that these kinds of ubiquitous port to be provided while they are still relevant.

Man, you would have hated the 90s when apple eliminated serial, parallel, and scsi. USB was a niche connector before that and so associated with that one move, many early USB devices are translucent blue

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Apart from maybe something with a hardwired cable or a usb thumb drive. Everything is plugged in via a removable at both ends cable. All you need to do is buy the cable that will fit the ports it needs to plug into. If by chance you can't change the cable then you need an adapter.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Is Apple forcing us to purchase USB-C devices? Yes - either new devices, new adapters, or new cables.

I would have preferred one USB-A port and a SD card slot. However, going to all-USB-C is far better than not adopting USB-C at all (especially in regards to a system that is known for sporting a long service life.) USB-C can do what USB-A can, but USB-A cannot do what USB-C can. USB-C will eliminate the need to have 3, 4, or 5 different USB derivative cables. It will also extend the durability of cell phones, tablets, external hard drives, and other portable devices that have historically used a USB port of terrible durability.

USB-C is going to become one of the most significant tech developments in a long time IMO. Apple absolutely should, in my opinion, adopt USB-C on the iPhone. It may have the same plug-unplug cycle rating as Lightning, but USB-C is unquestionably more robust. Lightning is the very legacy technology that USB-C is intended to replace.

MonicaHwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017

fullsize.jpg

How much is it?
[doublepost=1497682927][/doublepost]
Is Apple forcing us to purchase USB-C devices? Yes - either new devices, new adapters, or new cables.

I would have preferred one USB-A port and a SD card slot. However, going to all-USB-C is far better than not adopting USB-C at all (especially in regards to a system that is known for sporting a long service life.) USB-C can do what USB-A can, but USB-A cannot do what USB-C can. USB-C will eliminate the need to have 3, 4, or 5 different USB derivative cables. It will also extend the durability of cell phones, tablets, external hard drives, and other portable devices that have historically used a USB port of terrible durability.

USB-C is going to become one of the most significant tech developments in a long time IMO. Apple absolutely should, in my opinion, adopt USB-C on the iPhone. It may have the same plug-unplug cycle rating as Lightning, but USB-C is unquestionably more robust. Lightning is the very legacy technology that USB-C is intended to replace.

Yup, USB C is the trend. Some of Samsung's notebook, Google Chromebook and even Huawei Matebook adopt USB C now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.