Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonicaHwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
"2"

USB-C is going to be the future universal connection. Adoption of new tech is always expensive. Eventually it will probably be cheap dongles and cables.

Good point. When USB C is ubiquitous, it will be cheap to buy USB C adapter and hub.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
For those of you using Apple in a business setting. How much do you guys prioritise future proofing/reinvestment into your business model/plan?

Also are you guys planning your business finances around unexpected/emergency costs.

Reactions: MonicaHwang

BoxsterRS

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Response Q1: You always have to future proof, its unavoidable
Response Q2: Always set a rainy day fund :)

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Man, you would have hated the 90s when apple eliminated serial, parallel, and scsi. USB was a niche connector before that and so associated with that one move, many early USB devices are translucent blue

I dont think we hated when Apple added Thunderbolt connection few years ago. Or when it eliminates DVD drives. Or when it eliminates Ethernet port.

I am still on USB 2.x mostly and still haven't made the full jump to USB 3.0. And now Apple is hacking off USB-A type ports entirely and EVERY other ports in their laptop just to give way to 2 small USB-C ports & 3.5mm jack? Now that's where we draw the line. If Apple is still giving at least 1 USB or maybe microSD reader...I believe most people will be content.

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
If Apple is still giving at least 1 USB or maybe microSD reader...I believe most people will be content.

Stop being reasonable, we're trying to hate here!!!1!

But on a serious note, I remember that in the past, there were possibilities to mod your laptop. And I wonder if anyone will have the guts to build a tiny microSD slot into a 2016/2017 15" MBP. It would be very cool, and going by the iFixit pictures of the internals, there might be juuuust enough space for such an endeavor.

MonicaHwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017

But on a serious note, I remember that in the past, there were possibilities to mod your laptop. And I wonder if anyone will have the guts to build a tiny microSD slot into a 2016/2017 15" MBP. It would be very cool, and going by the iFixit pictures of the internals, there might be juuuust enough space for such an endeavor.

hahaha stop being reasonable we are here to hate!! lol
You can actually buy a usb hub with micro SD port there are tons of these hubs on Amazon. But do not buy it until I choose the winners on 22nd !! I have extra hubs that include a Micro SD card:)

SugaredJuggler

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
Holladay, UT
"2"

I love the different uses of USB C. I like that you can power the laptop on either side.

I am holding out for the Belkin USB C hub. That will let me get network, display, and a USB 3 hub all in one single plug. Extremely convenient.

Until USB C gains more traction I am perfectly fine carrying around a few converters and a few USB C to USB 3 flash drives.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Here everyone is talking about dongles and adapters. But that is not adopting USB-C. If I have two extarnal hard drives with USB-C connector, an external monitor with USB-C connector, and the power supply is obviously USB-C, please explain me how the hell do I plug all them at once with only two USB-C ports? It is impossible right now to adopt USB-C, and trust me, I would be pleased to.

The problem is, there are no USB-C hubs. Nothing, at least in Amazon. There are hundreds of adapters, but not any single 1x USB-C to 3x USB-C. Where is the problem???

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Don't the monitors that connect with USB-C include a hub for additional accessories?

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Don't the monitors that connect with USB-C include a hub for additional accessories?
Only a few. I am not going to purchase a 1000$ 4K monitor when I don't need it. I have my Dell, and like the vast majority of external displays, it connects via HDMI and DisplayPort. I would plug my MacBook Pro with a Display Port to USB-C cable, but again, there are not enough holes...

We need: a) more USB-C ports, not only two -or one in the MacBook-. b) Any sort of dongle with more USB-C ports. Right now there is only one USB-C on this dongles.

priorytools

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2015
Apple has removed the traditional USB ports on the MacBook Pro, and the MagSafe charging port, and replaced them all with USB-C/Thunderbolt ports. Does that mean everyone who orders a MBP must buy a usb c adapter?

If you hate the C port, comment "1";
If you like the C port, comment "2".
Just curious about how you guys think of it.

Will casually pick up 2 comments and send you guys my spare MBP cases, stand and other little gadget.

Yes they are

MonicaHwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
"2"

I love the different uses of USB C. I like that you can power the laptop on either side.

I am holding out for the Belkin USB C hub. That will let me get network, display, and a USB 3 hub all in one single plug. Extremely convenient.

Until USB C gains more traction I am perfectly fine carrying around a few converters and a few USB C to USB 3 flash drives.

Yup, there are a few usb c hubs in the market. Belkin, Satechi, QacQoc, HooToo... If one day, those manufacturers could combine the charging function with the hub, i will deff grab one!!
But it turns out that the lastest change of those hubs are some have dual female ports now...with passing through.
https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Alum...F8&qid=1497923488&sr=8-1&keywords=satechi+hub
http://www.qacqoc.com/product/gn28a-usb-c-hub-aluminum-type-c-hub-adapter-for-2016-macbook-pro-gray/

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
No one is forcing you to do anything, you don't need to buy a mac or any accessories if you don't want, in fact you don't have to buy a computer at all. You chose to buy one and you choose which one to buy its that simple really you always have a choice. You may not like any of the choices but you can always choose.

Reactions: HenryDJP

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I love USB-C and am generally happy with the configuration. That said, would it have been that big of a burden to throw a couple of small USB-C to USB-A adapters into the box of a $3,000 laptop?

Agree 100% - I've been banging on that part for a while.

They knew this would be a rough transition for many people and their lack of desire to assist beyond dropping dongle prices down to "just slightly overpriced" vs the normal "outrageous overpricing" is really obnoxious.

Some have said: "but how should Apple know what dongles should be included for most people?"

My response would be - Use the same data you presumably used to decide it was ok to ditch all ports and go USB-C. And if that wasn't data driven, then perhaps just have lower prices for dongles across the board in place permanently so it truly is a non issue (beyond still having to carry/worry about them of course).

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012

I've been supporting Apple being 'reasonable' and tolerating all questionable decision in excuse of Design.

Since they took out the headphone jack in iPhone 7, I decided that this is it. As an audio-enthusiast, I can't bear 3.5mm port being taken out.

I really don't think that there are a good reason not to give 1 more USB port and a microSD slot. 2016 Macbook pro features a re-design that makes it slimmer but the cut is not that drastic that it warrants having much fewer useful ports. Previous re-design cuts much more thickness with removal of DVD drive and ethernet jacks and still managed to provide quite a lot of ports.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Just ordered a 2 TB USB-C LaCie Rugged drive to replace my old Western Digital external. I think USB-C will be great...eventually. Could be annoying and painful right now but you're probably going to have to replace your old stuff eventually and it will be nice to have everything on the same connector. Because of the widespread embrace of USB-C by the industry, I think it will be around and supported for quite some time (unlike, say, Firewire, Mini DisplayPort, the weird square USB connectors, etc.).

For my new external drive compared to the old USB-A/FW one):
-- Way faster than the old WD.
-- Like 1/5 or less the volume, far more portable (and most likely more durable as well).
-- Bus powered so no more giant wall wart and power cable.
-- Somewhat weatherproof (can withstand a splash or a little rain).
-- Much quieter, no fans.

Queen6

macrumors G4
For those of you using Apple in a business setting. How much do you guys prioritise future proofing/reinvestment into your business model/plan?

Also are you guys planning your business finances around unexpected/emergency costs.

I only look as far as I plan to use the notebook for, typically 24 months with primary & secondary machines at a very minimum. Any issue with hardware I instantly replace it, as it's cost is the least of my concerns.

Q-6

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I bought a USB C to USB 3 HDD cable so I didn't have to use a dongle. Still have the old cable in case I need to connect it to a different machine. Really wasn't an issue, I've been dealing with dongles since FW400 became FW800, which eventually required a TB->FW dongle.

Times change; buy a new cable / adapter and move on with life. :)

People who spend weeks writing negative posts about the cost of a new cable / adapter / dongle must not value their time too highly. :)

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009

Purchased my new 2015 just before the 2017 was announced. Have too many USB3 devices and already had dongles for network and DVI fro my wife's 2015.

But if devices were not a concern, then more likely the USB-C would win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.