Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Breckenridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Telluride, Colorado
Yesterday I got me a new imac from the apple store in denver. After unpacking and installing software I decided to pop a DVD into the drive.

1. I was never asked to setup my region
2. When I check on the region setting it tells me that I have 4 change settings times left.

What's going on?!

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
I bet when they installed OS X from the factory they preload it with the correct region.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Ya, like others have said, when you buy a new Mac, you don't have to set your region (therefore it's a good thing you weren't asked to). ;) Also, when Apple says "5 changes," they count the first one.

The only time I've needed to set the region was when I got a new optical drive (after the first one died).

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
They must have changed this fairly recently then. All the G5 iMacs that were put in the MIDI lab at my school over winter break needed the region to be set manually. And that took almost a month because the guy in charge of the lab is a slacker.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Counterfit said:
They must have changed this fairly recently then. All the G5 iMacs that were put in the MIDI lab at my school over winter break needed the region to be set manually. And that took almost a month because the guy in charge of the lab is a slacker.
Last winter? I've had my iMac about a year and don't recall ever changing it. :confused:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If you're using an administrative account, the region will be automatically set when you insert a DVD for the first time (assuming that the DVD is encoded for one region).

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
The first time I inserted a DVD I had to pick a region, this is on my 2 year old PowerBook G4. It might be a Mac OS X 10.3 thing ?

But I think Breckenridge iMac is new so don't worry.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
What about when you boot up the computer for the first time, perhaps your registration infomation is used to set the Region.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
MacDonaldsd said:
The first time I inserted a DVD I had to pick a region, this is on my 2 year old PowerBook G4. It might be a Mac OS X 10.3 thing ?

I see that you're in the UK. Are most DVDs over there set for one region, or many? Here in NZ most DVDs support regions 2 and 4, so you get asked which one you want the first time you insert one. Maybe the UK is similar.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
Nermal said:
I see that you're in the UK. Are most DVDs over there set for one region, or many? Here in NZ most DVDs support regions 2 and 4, so you get asked which one you want the first time you insert one. Maybe the UK is similar.

All the DVDs I have are region 2, I admit I don't have that many but I think all UK DVDs are region 2

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I once bought an iBook from CompUSA that I later found out had been a display model. It came loaded with 700 songs (quite good ones actually). Then I had to re-install the OS and I thought that the songs had been included by Apple from the factory--I called and asked them where they were, and they said they had never sold a computer preloaded with songs, so I am pretty sure looking back on it, and remembering some of the other odd circumstances of the purchase, that CompUSA had not been forthcoming that I was buying a display model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.